Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SDCC 2014 exclusives ....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Ok, since Matty is starting to roll out the announcements, I thought I'd set up a thread to discuss them.

First 2 entries (on the front page right now. clickety-click here: http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/matt ... on-56-513/ ) are:
* Bound Doomsday - no surprises there. We've even seen the packaging shots already.
* Filmation Hordak - with "con only" add on (I'm not a MOTUC collector so I have no opinion on this whatsoever)

With 2 more releases next week, and 5 the week following (plus a hint that there might be one or two more surprises as we get closer) ...
what are your guesses for the remaining slots?

Personally, I'd love to see another "Polly Pocket" Superhero set. And I'm willing to bet we get a Monster High Figure, a Licensed Hot Wheels set, and something that is to "test the waters" of a possible new product line. Outside of those, its really anybody's guess (plus I can't think of any major movies hitting this summer that Matty will have a toy line for so even that option is wide open right now too...).

Thoughts?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject: Re: SDCC 2014 exclusives ....
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:16 pm 
Cold-cast

What a BS move that the only way you can get the Imp treasure chest is to preorder Hordak & pick it up at the show!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

They've done this before. No reason to be surprised now.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:51 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, it just follows the trend of Gleek, Starro face huggers, Plastic-Man as briefcase, Swamp Thing Un-Men ...

at least the last few times they've done it, they have seemingly learned from the mistake and actually got those items into the hands of the people they were meant for, as opposed to the Gleek fiasco .....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

As previously stated, this has been done many times before. I actually like this, because then it's a true Comicon exclusive, like in the old days, with Keldor, She Ra, unmasked Batman, etc. I've always thought it was cool, and now they've made it so that non attendees can get the main figure. To me, it's a win-win. It's something special for those who make the trek to the show!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am 
ABS

Depending on the price, I'll get one of those Unbound Doomsday figures on Matty.

I think we'll see Batgirl & cycle in the Batman '66 line. And it better be available on Matty Collector too.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:00 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

Mattel confirmed yesterday that Doomsday is $35, a steal compared to the Hordak repaint prices at $30 with a third the plastic.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:33 pm 
Collector Inspector

My favorite statement so far:
"DCU Classics Doomsday. One of the most demanded figures in the DCU Classics."
Really?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:36 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I'm definitely getting that Doomsday. I know a lot of people are displeased with it (or moreso displeased with not getting the in-scale standard Doomsday) but I still think it's pretty cool!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:05 pm 
Daniel Pickett

In case you missed it last week, here's a look at the package and the figure for the DOOMSDAY SDCC exclusive.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/afis ... day-bound/

Also I should have images of Filmation Hordak either Friday night or Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:34 am 
ABS

$35, not bad really. I like the packaging too. If I can scoop one up on Matty Collector, the next decision is whether or not I want to take it out of the box.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 pm 
4" scale

Captain Collector wrote:
As previously stated, this has been done many times before. I actually like this, because then it's a true Comicon exclusive, like in the old days, with Keldor, She Ra, unmasked Batman, etc. I've always thought it was cool, and now they've made it so that non attendees can get the main figure. To me, it's a win-win. It's something special for those who make the trek to the show!

Back in the "old days" though, getting to the Con wasn't so difficult. And you didn't have to pay an arm and a leg to get them on eBay afterwards. When Keldor was the exclusive, I didn't decide to go to San Diego till Friday night. I was able to get a cheap plane ticket, a pass for Saturday AND a hotel room the night before. Now, even if you had the means and time to go to SDCC, you'd be lucky if you even get the chance to buy a ticket (this is the first year I'm missing SDCC since that first Keldor exclusive).

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:28 am 
serves the Otter

Yeah, you pretty much have to buy tickets and make reservations a year or more in advance if you want to go to SDCC now, which is ridiculous. Nobody should have to plan and commit that far in advance for a vacation trip.

Last edited by shabbyblue on Sat May 03, 2014 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:48 pm 
Cold-cast

Exactly, I am practically on the other side of the US. I can't afford to just hop on a plane to get a stupid exclusive treasure chest. I've been to SDCC once in my life. It was a great time. But with the economy, the price pf plane tickets, hotels, etc I'm not going to do it again. It would pretty much be $1000 trip for me. Plus I didn't book anything in advance even if I did want to go.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:51 am 
Tis' but a pup

The price for Doomsaday is INSANE. I had expected $50 with all the talk about "how expensive tooling is" So, I can totally see him doing well, especially considering the more and more people who seam to be making customs compared to a decade a go. That has certainly become a cottage industry.

The Price for Hordak is INSANE because well, we are already paying $27 DOS and $25 for subscribers for a basic figure. Considering the amount of tooling a MOTU figure has compared to a marvel select it is INSULTING. Add to that the rational for WHY we have to pay $30 for Hordak...

Quote:
We could have looked at doing him as a quarterly release but that would have meant not including Imp as Imp counts as a SKU since he is an articulated figure. This (in Mattel's system) makes the SDCC item technically a 2-pack.

Toyguru on

http://forums.mattycollector.com/eve...7/m/3341047868

That would mean that a bunch of other figures are retroactively now 2-packs in Mattel's system...

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
My favorite statement so far:
"DCU Classics Doomsday. One of the most demanded figures in the DCU Classics."
Really?

Yeah."Pretty funny" indeed.

Captain Collector wrote:

If Matty didn't have Subscribers to deal with sure. But they do. At that VERY loyal subscribers who feel like they are carrying Matty...IDK man. I get what your saying, but it should probably still just be a paint deco thing like it was on He-Ro (a SDCC tampo under his armor on his chest) or a packaging thing like it was with Queen Marlena/Captain Glenn or a plastic& paint change like color changing orko or Statue King Grayskull...This DOES FEEL like Gleek2.0 due to the unique tooling and that Imp's whole gimmick is transformation chameleon powers. Imagine if Plastic man came with no ALT forms at all, except for that suitcase that was a gift with purchse...On the heels of MOTUC monthly Crisis of infinite Matty'd Probably not a good idea to pleeple off the few remaining dumb asses willing to fork over $40+ per month...(my self included because we are dumb...) DC fans might have been used to this type of unique tooling but uppity MOTU guys? We just got Gleeked, we got Gleeked right in our Nostalgic urges...

What OTHER company does THIS to it's loyal consumers?