Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I just started collecting JLU , any tips?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:43 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Last week my GF gave me a 4-packs just for fun. it was that Gotham City Criminals. It reminded me of how much I love the Timmverse,and inspired me to do a rewatch and collect these. Today, I got the Justice Guild of America Four-Pack, because I love that episode. Any tips on displaying and where to get them, and which ones I should get first?

Post subject: Re: I just started collecting JLU , any tips?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:30 pm 
Cold-cast

Frankied1111 wrote:
I just started collecting JLU , any tips?

Run now, while you still can.....lol

It may be impossible to get them all unless you want to drop some cash.

Man this collection caused a lot of grief & heartache for collectors when the figures were available at retail, let a lone now.

Here's the thing, some of the figures were impossible to find due to mattel's terrible distribution, or a boat sinking, or whatever other lies they came up with back then. For example....

Volcana goes for anywhere from $100 to $275

Plus there is many others that are " rare " & are up there in price. Not too mention you are paying a bunch of money for figures that are poorly made from cheap plastic with rubbery legs that may have parts that actually may disintegrate with time.

But if you are still determined to collect these things. I would just suggest being patient. Keep checking ebay & look for lots that are going for cheap. It's a great way to start a collection. I buy cheap lots on ebay all the time for use of customizing them. Don't let people at forums sucker you into buying things at higher price4s. I've bought lots on ebay & have gotten figures for anywhere from 50 cents to $1.00 apiece. I've bought lots of 5 figures to 45 figures. I never usually pay anymore than that because I am just going to ruin the figure by customizing it into another character. Also sometimes when you buy a lot, they may contain some of the more rare figures in it. So that's my advice to you. Good luck if you decide to continue on this quest. You're going to need it

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:23 pm 
5" Scale

I'd say be patient and keep an eye out at cons, flea markets and eBay. Sometimes you can practically stumble across these things. Great line that went out a bit better than its DCUC brother.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:47 am 
Aspires to be #1

For starters, you can ignore the negativity of conspiracy island up there. Then, find a good checklist of all of the figures and do a little research to find out how much they'll cost so you can map out a plan for your purchases. Just realize that a handful of them will be very difficult to obtain. The journey is totally worth it though. Welcome to the club.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:23 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

And for some of the harder, more expensive figures, there is always the option of getting a casting/custom. STEW over at Custom Justice has a site that sells loads of castings of heads and various figures/parts. So if you cant find Volcana, you can always buy a casting of her head from him and put it on a standard female JLU body and paint it up (or if you don't customize, get someone who does to do it).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:35 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Once you've got your checklist ready to go, I'd recommend visiting Amazon.com and searching Justice League Unlimited toys. There are still 16 pages of the figures listed, some at stunningly low prices ($15 for the Parademons, for example). I picked up a ton of custom fodder at basically firesale prices. If you combine enough, you'll get breaks on shipping, etc. You know the score there. You could knock out half your list right there.

As others have mentioned, there are only a few figures that are truly rare. The rest you can get close to or even below retail price, if you're patient. If you collect loose, it will be even easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:09 am 
Brand Manager

If you go the ebay route, one piece of advice is to look at JLU lot sales. It's one way to get hard-to-find figures at decent prices. Well, decent if you divide the price you paid by the number of figures you got.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:20 pm 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:
For starters, you can ignore the negativity of conspiracy island up there. Then, find a good checklist of all of the figures and do a little research to find out how much they'll cost so you can map out a plan for your purchases. Just realize that a handful of them will be very difficult to obtain. The journey is totally worth it though. Welcome to the club.

Conspiracy? lol I said nothing but the truth about this line.

Why else is Volcana, Atomic Skull, Shadow Thief, etc..... so expehnsive then?

I personally don't believe it's worth it anyway. ANd I never had to pay more then retail for any figure because I luckily stumbled upon all of them in the store somehow. All but that STAS Aquaman. Which I was patient in getting & bought off a chinese seller for $4 last year. Glad I didn' pay any more than that since he's one of the poorly produced & tiny figures.

Anyway, that reminds me. Watch the chinese sellers on ebay also. As they have a bunch of this crap left over. It may take a bit longer to get to you, but you'll get them dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:38 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Well, thanks for all the tips. I am scavenging through Ebay now to see if I can find something.
Im not really interested in obscure characters or characters that didnt appear in the shows. And I am not opposed to try to make some simple customs or even commission them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:35 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

There are definitely some Chinese sellers that sell lots-- but the quality does vary-especially in the figures not selling at retail from a normal production run- (usually its even cheaper plastic than matty uses..)-

I had picked up some ben 10 figures from a seller-- and just recently picked up the real releases-- they are like night and day in quality..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:26 am 
ABS

I never knew Volcana, Atomic Skull, Shadow Thief are so expensive. I went and checked out what they are going for...amazing prices. I collected this line, I actually have tons of them but I don't recall what I have past the first wave. I just bought them every time I saw them. Recently I went through some items and storage and was shocked at how many JL and JLU figures sets I had, at least three full trunks full. Maybe I have those rare characters, I am interested in checking to see. The irony would be having all those sets and none of the rare figures...LOL

Dude, as mentioned before, buy the expensive ones.