Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel Retains DC Toy License For Another 3 - 5 Years
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:39 am 
Cold-cast

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=10&itemid=22681

Another 3 - 5 years of being MIA from the pegs. Yay.

Mostly disappointed at this news, but hopefully we get some new proper scale Movie Masters once BvS comes out. I do find it interesting that it is "3 to 5" years and not just the full 5...maybe DC is putting Mattel on probation and wants to see how they perform after the new movie.

I wish WB would sack up and put some faith into their homegrown company, DC Collectibles. They produce much better product.

Post subject: Re: Mattel Retains DC Toy License For Another 3 - 5 Years
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I don't care how great the DCD/Collectables sculpts are as long as they keep using that cheap brittle clear plastic for their joints and pegs their figures will be inferior to Mattel's. I am tired of dusting my shelves only to find another knee pin broke under the weight of the figure. It has been a complaint since day one and they continue to ignore the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:41 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Congrats Mattel... now bring back DCUC at retail and distribute it properly so people can BUY them!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:45 am 
Cold-cast

PJ wrote:
I don't care how great the DCD/Collectables sculpts are as long as they keep using that cheap brittle clear plastic for their joints and pegs their figures will be inferior to Mattel's.

Correcting a DCC joint problem is a simple fix, and I haven't had any problems. But then again I'm not on the floor playing with the figures, mostly posing them. DCC would have to make a new category of figure for the under 10 crowd, but they could do it.

There isn't enough space on this message board to list the multitude of Mattel's quality and distribution issues. Did you see the NYTF Keaton unmasked Batman Multiverse figure vs. the final production figure? Looks like someone microwaved that head sculpt.

NECA would have been a better choice as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:50 am 
Aspires to be #1

Unless they give up on the New 52, I don't care who's making them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

batfink wrote:

There isn't enough space on this message board to list the multitude of Mattel's quality and distribution issues. Did you see the NYTF Keaton unmasked Batman Multiverse figure vs. the final production figure? Looks like someone microwaved that head sculpt.

Yes-and the JLU Limbo lean is ridiculous for a major retail company-- - but I still have not had figures just fall apart while standing on my shelf (and actually tearing) like DC Direct did. And telling me its an easy fix is not something I should have to worry about on a 20.00 (or more figure). Im not as sure as much about DCC since I have pretty much not bought anything since NEW 52.. but I really hope they fix their quality issues before the animated line comes out..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:52 am 
Cold-cast

batfink wrote:

I could find the space :lol:

Seriously this is the worst news that I've heard within the toy industry in awhile. I was really hoping when the license ran out that mattel was going to lose it.

Another 3 to 5 years of hell & torment dealing with this shoddy/half @$$ed company. I'm done with DC figures!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:28 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I find it interesting that the announcement specifically mentions tv properties like Arrow and the upcoming Flash. Does that hint at there being toys for those shows soon to hit the aisles?

Also, there seems to be a bit of a push coming from Mattel to get product out for Batman's 75th. When is any/all of that supposed to start?

I think the Mattel press conference at SDCC just got a whole lot more interesting.....

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:34 am 
Brand Manager

Not a fan of Mattel getting the license back on account that I blame them, and their incompetence, for some cool cartoons dying. But at the same time... I concur that DC Collectibles/Direct needs to get off their arse and finally correct their brittle plastic issues. It's been more than 10 years already!

~sigh~

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:08 pm 
Cold-cast

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Also, there seems to be a bit of a push coming from Mattel to get product out for Batman's 75th. When is any/all of that supposed to start?

I think the Mattel press conference at SDCC just got a whole lot more interesting.....

Will probably start on Batman's 77th birthday.

Remember the "lines are planned years in advance" ToyGuru quote? So the answer is that there is probably nothing planned. Or we would have heard rumblings of some sort of upcoming Batman celebration in the Mattel Q+A already.

So the Arkham Knight Batmobile is probably Mattel's big 75th celebratory toy. Yippie. Great way to celebrate Batman's long and storied history.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:45 am 
ABS

As long as they keep pumping out the FP DC Imaginext line, Mattel can have the license forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:28 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

starks wrote:
As long as they keep pumping out the FP DC Imaginext line, Mattel can have the license forever.

Seconded

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:17 pm 
Collector Inspector

So glad to hear that others feel the same way about Dc Collectibles/Direct. I do not play with those, yet I've had so many limbs snap off, it's not even funny. They need to fix those joints and pegs or just quit and make statues.

Mattel, though....Oof. It's been a depressing last two years or so. I don't want to even know what the next 3-5 years are going to be like. So much rancid product in the toy aisles. I just bought the Keaton Batman Multiversity figure, but I felt pretty ho-hum about it.

If they go back to making the 6-inch Movie Masters figures for the upcoming chunk of rumored films, I'll get interested again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Yeah I've had a lot of DC Direct figures break due to heat and weak joints. I've also had Mattel's figures explode out of their package and break over time as well. So it's kind of a wash for me.

The problem is what company other than Hasbro is really set up to have the DC license? Playmates seems to be the only one that comes to mind. Any other company just isn't big enough that can afford making lots of figures. I love NECA but they are a small company comparatively and can only do a couple of figures per line. Mattel sucks more than a black hole but unfortunately we are stuck with them :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:01 am 
Cold-cast

FAN-DOR wrote:
The problem is what company other than Hasbro is really set up to have the DC license? Playmates seems to be the only one that comes to mind. Any other company just isn't big enough that can afford making lots of figures. I love NECA but they are a small company comparatively and can only do a couple of figures per line. Mattel sucks more than a black hole but unfortunately we are stuck with them :(

This is all true. Transferring the rights to Hasbro or Playmates would only be a lateral move or worse. The frustrating part is that Mattel is like an Alzheimer's patient. They have hits (DCUC, JLU, Movie Maters) and misses (Infinite Heroes, Total Heroes, etc.), but still can't seem to learn any lessons or differentiate between the two. I'll be content with the renewal if Mattel makes proper scale Movie Masters figures for BvS, JL, and whatever DC movies are in the pipeline.

The good news is that holding the DC "master license" doesn't really matter that much anymore. DCC, NECA, Medicom, Hot Toys, Play Arts Kai and other great companies are making awesome DC collector figures. For me, I can pretty much ignore most of the plastic junk products that Mattel churns out and save my pennies for the nice stuff. It would be a much harder choice if Mattel was producing top quality stuff.