Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel CEO resigns amid toy maker's struggles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:29 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mattel-ceo-resigns-amid-toy-makers-struggles-2015-01-26-94853247

Mattel Inc. said Monday that Chief Executive Bryan Stockton has resigned after three years in the top executive post, as the struggling toy company also posted disappointing preliminary results for its fourth quarter.

Christopher A. Sinclair, who has served on the toy company's board since 1996, has been named chairman and interim chief executive.

"Mattel is an exceptional company with a great future, but the board believes that it is the right time for new leadership to maximize its potential," Mr. Sinclair said in a news release.

Mr. Sinclair said Mattel would be working over the coming months to revitalize its business and to "identify the right leadership for Mattel."

The leadership shuffle came as Mattel posted a preliminary profit in its fourth quarter of 44 cents a share. Sales fell 6% to $1.99 billion. Wall Street had expected 88 cents a share in earnings and $2.14 billion in sales, according to FactSet.

Mattel has struggled in recent quarters as its Barbie doll has fallen out of style. Sales of the iconic fashion doll fell a staggering 21% in the third quarter, contributing to a 22% drop in profits and an 8% decline in sales for the toy maker.

Write to Chelsey Dulaney at Chelsey.Dulaney@wsj.com

Access Investor Kit for Mattel, Inc.

Visit http://www.companyspotlight.com/partner ... 5770811025

Subscribe to WSJ: http://online.wsj.com?mod=djnwires

Post subject: Re: Mattel CEO resigns amid toy maker's struggles
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:32 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Im not surprised at all that their profits are down. Look at their forth quarter leading to xmas. I cant speak for all the other brands but as a Batman and Dc collector the toy aisles are empty and their is barely any DC comics items in any stores. Leading up to the holidays it is always a struggle to find new batman products. It would make sense to bring out a varitey of new figures and vehicles around september/october to get ready for the holiday season. Instead it is the same product mattel puts out in january of that year and it sits all year long. The only new figures that were new last year were the origins multiverse wave and a few evergreen batman unlimited figures 1 week before xmas. If you blinked they were gone. Thats how quick they sold. The demand is there for batman and DC but mattel does not cash in. If i were mattel the smartest thing they could do this year to improve is to get a head start and bulid up the hype for batman v. superman and get toys out for this october for the holidays then keep it going all next year with new figures in march when the film arrives then summer and more waves for the following holidays. This movie if supported right could help them huge. As long as mattel stays away from the cheap and awful 2.5 inch figures that hasbro is starting to do. I hope they stick to 3.75 and 6 inch. Or maybe bring back the 5 inch figures from films past. Look at ninja turtles! They are selling like crazy and they arnt being cheap by cutting them down to 2.5 inches. Shame on hasbro! I would never spend almost 10 bucks on a 2.5 inch figure for myself or my nephew nor would my nephew have any interest in small 2.5 inch stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:11 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Although to be fair the dock strike/slowdown has killed everybody's 4th quarter, gentle giant, sideshoe, hasbro, mattel, have all had issues. I think the only one not having issues is lego, but my guess is that's because their plant is in Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:57 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Time to bring back Justice League Unlimited!

Tongue planted firmly in cheek here

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:33 am 
Fugitive Dust

And the house-cleaning continues. For whatever reason, the last couple of years have not been good for Mattel, I guess it finally came back to bite them on the butt.

Oh wait . . . was I being cynical again?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:21 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Kids today are all about electronics, the hot toy everyone had to have for Christmas is not there anymore, what was the last toy craze- furby maybe? I saw a lot of Frozen dolls moving this holiday, I cant think of anything else that wasn't attached to xbox or playstation.

I am in no means a toy company CEO candidate, but I would think you gear your toys to kids up to about 7 or 8 by that time they want gaming consoles (maybe not as young with the fall of Nintendo) but the other side is the collector market , I though DCUC moved really quickly off the shelf (some exceptions) and has MOTUC not been successful?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 am 
Wonderdog

firestorm wrote:
I though DCUC moved really quickly off the shelf (some exceptions) and has MOTUC not been successful?

I think Mattel has a different definition of what constitutes a success than you or I (or even a smaller toy company) do.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:01 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

http://www.globaltoynews.com/2015/01/the-end-of-the-brian-stockton-era-five-macro-events-that-he-and-mattel-could-not-overcome.html#more
The astute Richard Gottlieb breaks down the issues. #3 is what seems to affect adult collector disappointments the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:36 am 
Santos L. Halper

Yes, No. 3 is a good point. Companies in general have to learn to adapt quicker.

Some apparel makers, especially those in high fashion, have moved production back to the United States in a effort to get clothing in the hands of consumers faster. In light of the disruptions at the docks on the West Coast, I wonder if other companies, like those in the toy industry, will consider doing the same. Products made in America will cost more, but consumers will get them sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 pm 
PVC

I was listening to the news this morning and there was a segment about Mattel and how corporate meetings are both a blessing and a curse for businesses. Basically, the point of the piece was that there was no quick decision-making apparatus at Mattel (they don't run their meetings well, I guess is the point), which is why they would make puzzling choices in their product line-up while ignoring larger, looming problems. Too many product silos?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:25 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

ed case wrote:
firestorm wrote:
I though DCUC moved really quickly off the shelf (some exceptions) and has MOTUC not been successful?

I think Mattel has a different definition of what constitutes a success than you or I (or even a smaller toy company) do.

It is called thinking OUTSIDE the box. They can't do it. Never could.

Here is an example. I suggested YEARS ago using the Fisher-Price playset molds for the 3.75 inch action figures. The scale is close enough, the molds are already paid for. All you need to do is repaint one of the Loving Family houses a darker color and you have Wayne Manor, or the Justice Society Brownstone. Apparently you have to be smarter than a fifth grader to come up with ideas like this that are both economical and creative. If you have it, USE IT! :roll:

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:27 pm 
Collector Inspector

My favorite line in the Gottlieb article...
"Other than going into people’s bedrooms and insisting they make babies..."

I get this image of a couple in bed about to fall asleep than a horde of Mattel execs and the Matty mascot (giant head and all) come running in, demanding and waiting for them to "Make babies!!".

This is a very unpopular opinion, but I have always thought that Mattel (and some of the other big toy makers) should just get out of the "collector" market. No matter what they produce, not everyone is going to be happy, like, and buy. Or they run into the situations like what has happened on Mattycollector the last few years.
Yes, they should make things with collectors in mind, but perhaps not make things specifically for them, or at least not advertise them as for collectors.