Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel Does Decide Case Pack Ratios - Apologies Anyone?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:37 pm 
Knows his stuff

I'll take that apology now Cape, SD and Jim. You guys gave me so much flack over my statements about this (that Mattel decided case ratios) that it's the stand up thing to do.

-------------------------------------------------------------

AFHUB: Does one major retailer (e.g. Wal-Mart) dictate the case ratios for the entire production line worldwide? Or it varies for, say, Asia?

MATTEL: The case ratios for all of our toy lines are carefully thought out by our marketing staff at Mattel to maximize fan interest and customer demand.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Part of my initial comment and some followup posts:
Quote:
Fact, Mattel made the decision to heavy pack the trinity sets, thinking this was a good tactic for maintaining the lines sell through during this "tough" time. This might of been a good idea for a few months, but for most of the year? This should of been a temp thing, that got changed by now

No, again you're 100% wrong. I've never stated that I know more about anything. Only that, based on what I've read here & elsewhere, the current case ratios were determined by Mattel and BW. And that ONLY the Big 3 "characters" (again not ratios) were specifically requested to be well represented. With that as a basis, I stated, and stand by, my perspective, and choose to not follow your "insider toy industry perspective". I believe Mattel should be responsible for all things they control. Fair enough?

Stated by SD-And it is indeed the retailers who determine the case ratios. And.. Listen, I'm sorry, but who should I believe here? The brand managers who work for the toy companies or you?

---------------------------------
No it isn't, they "suggest". Mattel does not employ the retailers. They wanted the trinity packs, I never said they didn't, but it was Mattel that decided to place 3 or 4 per case. Sure Wal-Mart may order "specific" case mixes, and "special" case ratios, but that's typically for specials. Mattel's research Dept., and line managers, ultimately determine what each "regular" case ratio will be.

I'm not really arguing, just standing by what I believe. I'm saying that "MATTEL" decides what action to take on developing case ratios. That's all I've ever said. So far, nothing you have said has proven that contention wrong.

Posted by Jim - Again, Mattel does not control distribution to the major retailers. I'm not sure if this is a confusion between case ratios and case distribution. And.. I think that may be more of a problem of you not being able to convey the ideas you wish to defend in language that makes any sort of sense. (Read the quotes above. Pretty clear I think.) Time and time again in this thread you've said that we're saying the exact same thing that you're saying despite the fact that our responses are the total opposite of what you started with. (then that would make all your responses towards my point wrong, since I was ultimately right. Right? I think that's what you saying here.) I'm done feeding the troll...

----------------

That's right it's confusion. I've never touched on the actual "delivery" of the figures. I'm only discussing how they are packed per case and provided (distributed from Mattel's factories) to the individual stores who've ordered them. If confusion exist and relates to semantics, then it's because (as I mentioned earlier) you're only "hearing" what you want to hear, and not what's actually being conveyed. I've always been focused on the case ratios only, and the use of the word "distribution" is applicable towards that aspect only. When was "actual" delivery (Store distribution) ever an issue, or discussed? Eyes front amigo.

And for Cape:
Quote:
This isn't about "beliefs", but that's not what you've been doing, anyway. When I said case ratios are based on requests from retailers, you started babbling about how I was "100% wrong", only to repeat my very words later in the thread, as if you'd managed to produce an original thought.

My comments were ALWAYS about my beliefs, and original thoughts by nature. And as it turns out 100% correct.

'nuff said

geoffdude

Last edited by geoffdude on Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:12 pm 
Damage Control

And damn it, I say we need more Trinity packs and DCSH Bane figures :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:15 pm 
shirtless hugger

Mattel is lying. I decide the case ratios. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:38 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

This thread has the potential to become very ugly, but whaddya gonna do. It's the internet. After awhile, ya learn to live with it.

No apology to you, sir. I'm simply repeating what I've been told time and again at the past several SDCC's, not only from Mattel reps, but from all the major companies: The retailers decide the case ratios. I have no idea why they would all say that if it weren't true.

I don't know who at Mattel is responding to these questions, but I can tell you who I've talked to at SDCC. And I remember those conversations quite clearly.

Here's another tidbit that I thought was interesting:

AFHUB: During the last Comic Con, there was mention of Bruce Timm doing some new turn-around drawings for Mattel. Can you tell us what that is all about and for what product line?

MATTEL: This was not an announcement made by Mattel but rather a rumor that spread around. At this time we do not having anything to announce regarding Bruce Timm art on the packaging.

"Rumor that spread around"? Horse crap. It was both the DC Brand Manager and the package designer at Mattel that told me that Bruce Timm was doing turn around drawings for characters that never appeared on the show for inclusion in the JLU line. And I was not alone when they said this. Board member JQ3x29yz4a was standing right next to me when they said it.

So why are they changing their story now? Don't know. But I'm tired of giving Mattel the benefit of the doubt. I'm not going to do that anymore.

Mike
(And the truth shall set you free.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:09 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Nice to see you back on our side, Mike. Now start posting about how you can't find any figures at your TRU and Target and your conversion will be complete! ;)

Peace,

Chip :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:49 am 
5" Scale

Man Mattel really needs to pay attention and give us fans some good news about the JLU line, if they are so concerned about the fans, throw us a freakin bone.

As far as the case pack out, I think its a little of both, Yes Mattel as the final say so on the case packouts, but Im sure they are getting a lot of input from the retailers, ie walmart. Thats why its called market research.

Post subject: Re: Mattel Does Decide Case Pack Ratios - Apologies Anyone?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:10 am 
The Last Word

geoffdude wrote:
I'll take that apology now

You'll have to get it during REM sleep.

geoffdude wrote:
AFHUB: Does one major retailer (e.g. Wal-Mart) dictate the case ratios for the entire production line worldwide? Or it varies for, say, Asia?

MATTEL: The case ratios for all of our toy lines are carefully thought out by our marketing staff at Mattel to maximize fan interest and customer demand.

And after they're "carefully thought out by (the) marketing staff at Mattel", the sales team seeks approval from the retailers. Again, the case ratios are decided (not "thought out"; notice how the answer completely avoids a definitive statement about the actual decision) based on requests from the big retailers, which is exactly what I said from the very beginning. In between fits of trolling, please try to wrap your brain around that concept. Then again, have you even figured out what distribution means yet?

Boy Wonder even said on this very forum that they went heavy on the big three because that was what the retailers wanted.

geoffdude wrote:
And as it turns out 100% correct.

Only in the depths of your imagination.

SDcomics wrote:
No apology to you, sir. I'm simply repeating what I've been told time and again at the past several SDCC's, not only from Mattel reps, but from all the major companies: The retailers decide the case ratios.

And this is true of all products, not just action figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:35 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

geoffdude - this thread serves no purpose other than to bait everyone into more arguments. locked.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews