Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why does everyone say this??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:36 am 
PVC

I've been reading a lot of posts and reviews of DCUC where the author will make a comment like "DC Direct just did this character, so Mattel has to really perform to make it worthwhile" or "DC Direct already did him, so what's the point?"

I may be in the minority, but I don't buy DC Direct, and if I did I wouldn't combine them with DCUC, as I feel like very few DCD figures look right next to DCUC. I think DC Direct should have no sway over DCUC, and really don't understand this logic. I'm not thrilled about the Skittles wave but it's not because DCD made them, it's because we're paying more for a repainted Flash than we did when he was a brand new release. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Why does everyone say this??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:59 am 
Resin

You're not alone in this. I don't buy DC Direct either. I have no complaints with them per se, but they're just not my thing. They've done a lot of series that have been themed to a specific look or artist design or whatever, and that's just not how I collect DC. I much prefer the more "standardized" look of DCUC. Yes, there has been some common characters in recent times, especially in the Green Lantern universe, and there are characters DCD has done that I really hope DCUC does (Atrocitus, Larfleeze, and others), but I'll wait for DCUC. I wouldn't generally think about blending the two lines, either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 am 
PVC

I really hope Atrocitus and Larfleeze show up as well. Why make members of their Corps if you're not going to make the leaders?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:04 am 
Collector Inspector

I agree, with the overall sentiment . It doesn't bother me at all that both companies make the same characters. Just buy one or the other. I don't think it's the responsibility of the two companies to collaborate together in terms of scale and character selection so it doesn't bother me.

Personally, I've been mixing and matching a little. In the past , I thought the DCD figures had unattractive sculpts and I didn't buy them , but I think the latest waves of Blackest Knight and Batman storyline figures look great. The female sculpts are slightly better in some figures if you can forgive the limited articulation. I wasn't paying attention to the scale issue and I picked up the Arisia for my Green Lantern display and I was disappointed at how tall she was. Whoops. The DCDs are more 6.5-7 inch in scale. But then I picked up the Boodikka and Kryb and they fit in perfectly with my DCUC Corp teams, since Kryb is a monster that changes shape and Boodikka is kind-of-an android-alpha lantern-thing now. I like the DCD Sinestro Corp Scarecrow so much that I'm probably going to pass on the Wave 17 version. He looks good in my display.

But I'm going to wait for Larfleeze and Atrocitus in the DCUC because I think the extra articulation will serve their characters well.

Last edited by funtime3 on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am 
Dog Squeezer

This is why I'm welcoming the DCUC Blackest Night wave. I generally don't buy DCD figures and don't like combining them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:07 am 
5" Scale

I have about two dozen DCD figures remaining - the ones that blend in fairly well with DCUC. In time, I'd like my entire display to be DCUC, but there are a number of characters I feel are essential, and will use the DCD versions.

Elongated Man or Psycho-Pirate, for example, blend in really well. Phantom Stranger's not bad, nor is Hush, just for examples.

But most of the DCD figures I have are back when they were a little bit more 'vanilla', and in a 6" scale. The only figures I've bought since they moved to the larger scale are Atrocitus and Larfleeze, since they can stand to be a bit bigger.

Some folks have no problem at all with displaying the different scales, but it bugs me. (And yes, things like Chemo being comparatively tiny bug me too, but I can live with that.) To each their own. Still, I do hope that DCUC continues long enough to cover my major wants - to have all those figures in one line would be tremendous. (And for me, at least, we're about 80% of the way there.)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:10 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Mattel makes toys. DCD makes collectables. Mattel, being the greedy b :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: s that they are, wants a piece of the collectable market, and so calls their toys collectables, and by doing so, invites the comparison and criticizm. I would say, if you really want to know, ask Mattel.

BTW, I can pretty much guarantee you won't get an answer. :D

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:23 am 
An Insider

I like DC Direct well enough but it is really the quality that I have an issue with. Yes, they usually have much better paint aps than DCUC, but they seem to be a lot more fragile and break at the joints very easily.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:26 am 
Aspires to be #1

LordMudd wrote:
Mattel makes toys. DCD makes collectables. Mattel, being the greedy (you really can't type a sentence without profanity?) that they are, wants a piece of the collectable market, and so calls their toys collectables, and by doing so, invites the comparison and criticizm. I would say, if you really want to know, ask Mattel.

CCC.

That has nothing to do with why people compare them. They're compared because they're the same characters and some people choose to use DCD figures with their DCUC figures and others don't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:41 am 

j1h15233 wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
Mattel makes toys. DCD makes collectables. Mattel, being the greedy (you really can't type a sentence without profanity?) that they are, wants a piece of the collectable market, and so calls their toys collectables, and by doing so, invites the comparison and criticizm. I would say, if you really want to know, ask Mattel.

CCC.

That has nothing to do with why people compare them. They're compared because they're the same characters and some people choose to use DCD figures with their DCUC figures and others don't.

1. In your opinion. If Mattel wasn't inviting the comparison, they wouldn't be using the 4 Horsemen for their sculpting.
2. If the shoe fits, and leave my little smileys alone. I like my little smileys. :evil:

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am 
Aspires to be #1

Or maybe they're using the 4 Horsemen because they're good? They certainly do a better job than whoever does the DCD figures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

For pete's sake Mudd, can you give the inane Mattel bashing insanity a break for a bit? Anyone who reads this forum knows you think Mattel stinks. If you're going to bash them, make an argument that makes sense, and bash them for things based in some form of reality.

Here's my take on DCD and DCUC (since I was one of the people who recently made a comment about both lines doing the rainbow deputies):

1. I collect both, and there are certain DCD figs that fit in with DCUC for me. Whenever there are opportunities for the lines to be complimentary, I wish they would try. I think DCD blew a huge opportunity as DCUC started. Instead of actively working with them, like making an effort to make them more or less compatible in scale, DCD settled on a slightly larger scale. I doubt Mattel will ever make Kryb, but DCD can and did. They could focus in on stuff like that and really find another niche that could bring in a little money from the crowd that mostly only buys DCUC. DCD has great sculpts and paint apps.

2. DCD has carved out a niche of doing figs that are artist/storyline specific, and/or current storyline specific. DCUC's niche so far has been basically everything (which I like), but I'd like the lines to at least try to a little bit complimentary. One way to do that would be to let DCD more or less own the current storyline flash-in-the-pan characters, and DCUC can get to them later if there's a sustained demand by DCUC fans. I think they've done a darn good job, and the only real complaint I have is the rainbow deputies for these reasons. If DCUC wasn't making them, I don't think the people who only collect DCUC would have those designs on their must-have-now lists. There's a difference between the figs that you want to buy after you see the 4H 2-ups, and the figs you really want that you put on your want list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:55 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

j1h15233 wrote:
Or maybe they're using the 4 Horsemen because they're good? They certainly do a better job than whoever does the DCD figures.

Take articulation out of the equation, and judge DCD just on the sculpt and the paint apps (since that's what DCD is doing--they aren't even trying to compete in that category--they just make a nod to it here and there), and it's hard to say they aren't doing a good job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'll be the first to admit DCD has awesome paint and pretty good sculpts. It's the lack of even simple articulation (waist joints) that really bugs me.

I think it comes down to what an earlier post said:

The lack of collaboration between the brands. Especially with the Blackest Night/Green Lantern characters there's been A LOT of overlap, especially with the upcoming Skittles wave.

And some people, like my buddy, jumped the gun and got all the DCD Blackest Night figures, only to see them become redundant a few months later. I, myself, got caught in that trap with Arkillo.

So they're a little annoyed at having "double dipped."

I honestly don't think Mattel and DC Direct communicate with each other much at all.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:34 am 

j1h15233 wrote:

Just good? They are more than just good, thats why Mattel is using them. My whole point, if Mattel wasn't competing, they would use someone who was just good. For one thing, it would be a lot cheaper for them.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.