Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SDcomics wrote:
(I was told that Bruce Timm was doing Turn Around drawings for certain characters that never appeared on the show. This is at the request of Mattel's design team. No, the JLU line is not dead.)

Great to see you back posting, Mike. :D

That's big news right there. Whom told it to you?

I'd love to make it my sig, but I'm so damn depressed I've gotta keep the quote I have. However, as soon as I get a new g/f that's going in there until the fall Toy Fair rolls around. ;)

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:47 pm 
Prototype

I expect to see Hal in the Superfriends line pretty soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:12 am 
Bob Vila

texgnome1 wrote:
Sorry, but I believe Blue Devil had more screen time. So at best it's a tie. ;)

Read my post again. The point I was making is that speaking trumps screen time. They had to cast an actor and pay him to voice Hal Jordan. I would even argue that he's more "important" than Atom Smasher, since I don't believe he ever speaks (though I might be wrong about that).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:03 am 
Dog Squeezer

SDcomics wrote:
>>A JLU Hal Jordan will be made. Count on it!<<

Not anytime soon, I'm afraid. The word we got at SDCC is not to include Hal or Lobo in any polls. They're not part of Mattel's new agreement with DC. There is hope for the other previously "off limits" characters, however. We can petition for Captain Marvel, Captain Atom and the Question.

That's odd. So Hal is NOT part of Mattel's new agreement for JLU specifically? Because he's part of something as he's in an upcoming THE Batman assortment and those Fighting Figure thingys... Seems to me he's clearly been okayed for at least some of their lines...

EDIT: From Newsarama's WWC Coverage http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=124797 :

Quote:
- Will Mattel have more Green Lanterns like Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner? Yes. "And maybe more. There are a lot of Green Lantern Corps members out there."

Again, gotta question the Hal being off limits idea.

SDcomics wrote:
>>I read it as "no plans for Hal" because there are "no plans for JLU period."

Not encouraging but I don't see any signs to the contrary.<<

Well, except for what was said at Mattel's and DC's SDCC panel (And I believe you were sitting right there when the announcement was made). The JLU line will continue. In fact, because of the new agreement with DC, Mattel can now include characters in the line who never appeared on the show.

I was there. And what I heard was that some of the design team would LIKE the line to continue and they're exploring HOW to make that happend and IF it can indeed happen. But I did not get any sense that there were any sort of concrete plans in place or that upper management was pushing JLU anywhere near as strongly as they are DCUC, Superfriends of even those fighting figure thingys...

Spy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:14 am 
...Wave 2 DC Classics looks pretty nice... I'm looking forward to seeing what else they come up with! The variants thing is weird... I hope for the "classic" fans' sake that they can get them easily. Too bad about poor Hal... Especially since he's in the Batman line! I want a "Superboy-Prime" figure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:31 am 
Bob Vila

SpyMagician wrote:
SDcomics wrote:
>>I read it as "no plans for Hal" because there are "no plans for JLU period."

Not encouraging but I don't see any signs to the contrary.<<

Well, except for what was said at Mattel's and DC's SDCC panel (And I believe you were sitting right there when the announcement was made). The JLU line will continue. In fact, because of the new agreement with DC, Mattel can now include characters in the line who never appeared on the show.

I was there. And what I heard was that some of the design team would LIKE the line to continue and they're exploring HOW to make that happend and IF it can indeed happen. But I did not get any sense that there were any sort of concrete plans in place or that upper management was pushing JLU anywhere near as strongly as they are DCUC, Superfriends of even those fighting figure thingys...

Spy

I was there too, and I really don't see how you could walk out of that panel feeling that JLU might end. They even had a slide specifically stating to be patient, that our most requested characters were on the way. the fact that they are doing a new JLU exclusive box set alone indicates that the line is not dead; neither Mattel nor Target would go to the trouble to support a toy line that is DOA. Moreover, Toy Guru has explained that they didn't have new figures to display because the new license has allowed them to change their plans. IT'S ACTUALLY A GOOD THING THEY DIDN'T HAVE NEW FIGURES TO SHOW, EVERYBODY! REALLY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:25 am 
An Insider

Well, new word from WWC says no Hal. Its on the front page. I guess we'll have to keep customizing and hope we can one day get a cast of the head. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:30 am 
Variant Head

Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:
Well, new word from WWC says no Hal. Its on the front page. I guess we'll have to keep customizing and hope we can one day get a cast of the head. :(

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:30 am 
Dog Squeezer

Oklahoma's Man of Steel wrote:

Hmm, interesting.

Maybe with the appearance of Hal on THE Batman, we've got a situation where WB doesn't want to "confuse" consumers/viewers with multiple versions.

Sorta like the "no bat family" on JLU as it would conflict with THE Batman.

I think it's all rather silly, but it would be consistent with past policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:34 am 
Prototype

Well, I'm not all that sad about Hal. I just can't wait to see what else is coming for JLU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:52 pm 
categorically opposed

SDcomics wrote:
(I was told that Bruce Timm was doing Turn Around drawings for certain characters that never appeared on the show. This is at the request of Mattel's design team. No, the JLU line is not dead.)

Okay, how come no one is fixating on this tidbit but is instead saying how Mattel has done JLU dirty?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:58 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

hellpop wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:
Sorry, but I believe Blue Devil had more screen time. So at best it's a tie. ;)

Read my post again. The point I was making is that speaking trumps screen time. They had to cast an actor and pay him to voice Hal Jordan. I would even argue that he's more "important" than Atom Smasher, since I don't believe he ever speaks (though I might be wrong about that).

If I remember the story correctly, the actor voicing Hal was the same one voicing Chronos, he wasn't being paid extra to be Hal unlike Kevin Smith who voiced him for Duck Dodgers (what happened to *that* line?... I was wanting those!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:04 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

MoMoney wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Okay, how come no one is fixating on this tidbit but is instead saying how Mattel has done JLU dirty?

Not sure how you mean that MoMoney, we've gotten over 70 distinct characters (so far) in what became a budget line that's lasted for 4 years or so from a basic cable cartoon (that even the network airing it chose to ignore) that's been off the air for a year now... The fact that this line is still around (especially with all of the blunders made by all of the corporate entities involved (I mean WB and DC as well as Mattel and the retailers) is nothing short of amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:08 pm 
categorically opposed

Jim_Abell wrote:
MoMoney wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Not sure how you mean that MoMoney, we've gotten over 70 distinct characters (so far) in a budget line that's lasted for 4 years or so from a basic cable cartoon (that even the network airing it chose to ignore) that's been off the air for a year now... The fact that this line is still around (especially with all of the blunders made by all of the corporate entities involved (I mean WB and DC as well as Mattel) is nothing short of amazing.

Alright, Jim, let me rephrase.

SD is saying that he's heard that Mattel has Bruce Timm doing turnarounds for non-JLU characters.

We've been hearing since SDCC that the line is not going to be canceled and will be around "as long as we keep buying it."

Yet everyone is still crying foul on Mattel.

I am more than satisfied with JLU as it stands right now. Anyone else I get from the line is an added bonus, believe me. It just amazes me how people are willing to drone on and on about how they were wronged by a TOY COMPANY instead of actually reading what said company has to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:16 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I apologize, Mo, I completely mis-read your post (several times, actually) and thought you were complaining instead of making a point about the complainers... My vacation starts next weekend and I *NEED* it...

Sorry, again!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next