Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:14 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

MoMoney wrote:
SDcomics wrote:
(I was told that Bruce Timm was doing Turn Around drawings for certain characters that never appeared on the show. This is at the request of Mattel's design team. No, the JLU line is not dead.)

Okay, how come no one is fixating on this tidbit but is instead saying how Mattel has done JLU dirty?

What, you don't read my posts at all? ;)

Scroll up, heathen! :P

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:29 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>That's odd. So Hal is NOT part of Mattel's new agreement for JLU specifically?<<

Correct. Hal cannot appear in the JLU line. He can appear in other Mattel/DC lines, but not JLU. There's a reason for that but I'm not going to get into specifics.

Hal and Lobo are both off limits for the JLU line. That's not going to change. There's no point in continuing to ask.

The Charlton characters (Captain Atom and the Question) are currently off-limits. But that may change. Mattel and DC are still working on that. There's hope for those characters so we're going to include them in the polls and show DC that there's demand there.

The other previously off limits character, Captain Marvel, can now be done as a result of the new agreement between Mattel and DC. I would expect to see a JLU Captain Marvel figure at some point.

>>I was there. And what I heard was that some of the design team would LIKE the line to continue and they're exploring HOW to make that happend and IF it can indeed happen. But I did not get any sense that there were any sort of concrete plans in place or that upper management was pushing JLU anywhere near as strongly as they are DCUC, Superfriends of even those fighting figure thingys... <<

Well, perhaps you didn't hear when a member of the audience asked the panel "How long will the JLU line continue?" and Mattel's response was "How long will you keep buying it?". At that point, they reiterated that the line is not dead and no end is in sight.

Mike
(Obviously, Mattel's going to put the emphasis on The Dark Knight and DC Classics stuff in 2008. But there's going to be JLU love, too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:33 pm 
Bob Vila

MoMoney wrote:
SD is saying that he's heard that Mattel has Bruce Timm doing turnarounds for non-JLU characters.

We've been hearing since SDCC that the line is not going to be canceled and will be around "as long as we keep buying it."

Yet everyone is still crying foul on Mattel.

I am more than satisfied with JLU as it stands right now. Anyone else I get from the line is an added bonus, believe me. It just amazes me how people are willing to drone on and on about how they were wronged by a TOY COMPANY instead of actually reading what said company has to say.

Very well put, MoMoney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:51 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SDcomics wrote:
The Charlton characters (Captain Atom and the Question) are currently off-limits. But that may change. Mattel and DC are still working on that. There's hope for those characters so we're going to include them in the polls and show DC that there's demand there.

This means both JLU and DCUC, correct?

What exactly is the holdup? Why can DC publish comics with those characters or use them in an animated cartoon but not license them for figures?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:55 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I just read in the DC Direct forum that The Question was shown at WWC in the Minimates line.

How is DC Direct able to produce a figure of him but yet he's not in the 3,000+ characters Mattel can choose from?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>What exactly is the holdup? Why can DC publish comics with those characters or use them in an animated cartoon but not license them for figures? <<

Only the higher-ups at Mattel and Warner Brothers Consumer Products know the answer to that question. And it's doubtful they'll ever tell us.

Fellow AFI member JQ3x29yz4a and I spoke extensively with the Mattel guys on the final day of SDCC (And that's why there was no Day Four report from yours truly. We were asked to sit on most of what we were told). We speculated with Toy Guru that the reason the Charlton characters are off limits as mass market toys in a cartoon line is because of a possible royalty situation. If figures are made and then sold on the mas market, royalties would need to be paid to the creators (Or creators estates) of the characters. Warners legal and marketing team probably don't think it's worth the hassle. There are so many characters who appeared on the show that don't have royalty fees attached, I'm sure they'd just as soon have Mattel continue to use those.

But that's sheer speculation. We really don't know. The point is, Mattel thinks it's worth the time and effort to keep asking, to keep fighting for those characters, so until we're told otherwise, that's what we're going to do.

>>How is DC Direct able to produce a figure of him but yet he's not in the 3,000+ characters Mattel can choose from?<<

DC Direct has made Captain Atom and Question figures before. But there's no license or contract involved there. No second party. It's different with Mattel.

Mike
(For right now, I'm just thankful that line is not dead, a JLU style Captain Marvel is a strong possibility and we may get the Charlton characters someday.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:14 am 
Collector Inspector

hellpop wrote:
texgnome1 wrote:
Sorry, but I believe Blue Devil had more screen time. So at best it's a tie. ;)

Read my post again. The point I was making is that speaking trumps screen time. They had to cast an actor and pay him to voice Hal Jordan. I would even argue that he's more "important" than Atom Smasher, since I don't believe he ever speaks (though I might be wrong about that).

So if speaking parts count plus time on screen then you are wrong. Because Blue Devil did speak in JLU in the episode "Destroyer" Plus with all his apperances it totals more time then Hal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:26 am 
MINT!

SDComics. Do you think it would be possible to suggest to ToyGuru to see if the Question or Captain Atom could be SDCC exclusives like Grundy so that the royalities could be covered by the extra charge. I would be more than willing to pay $30 + dollars for each just to get them and they wouldn't be mass marketed. Just wondering....it would be a great promotion for the rebranding in 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:03 am 
Prototype

At least Captain Marvel can be in the JLU line now. That certainly isn't a bad thing. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:20 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I'm so damn sick of all of this Hal Jordan holdup crap. :twisted:

And with all due respect to those who think that asking for Hal(and Lobo for that matter) is a waste of time, I politely disagree.

It never hurts to ask, and it certainly helps if it is made known that we fans want those figures, brainless DC/WB suit decisions or not.

Not asking just hands the tools that aren't allowing these characters to be made an easy victory.

And I'm not one to admit defeat so easily :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:26 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Howard the Duck wrote:
It never hurts to ask, and it certainly helps if it is made known that we fans want those figures, brainless DC/WB suit decisions or not.

I completely agree. What's preventing Hal from being made is legitimate and final -- but final isn't always final :wink:

It doesn't hurt to ask -- but I'd keep it polite, and not so often as to clutter up the boards. Being loud about it only brings out the anti-Hal crowd, the threads get locked, the H word gets banned -- and the Hal haters sit back and smile because they "won" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:36 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

riddler2403 wrote:
I would love a Galius-Zed figure, but since he involves a whole new sculpt he probably won't get made.

Funny about that ... he was actually mentioned by name by a Mattel guy who I won't name :wink: This was just while mentioning possibilities, not as a character who's definitely on the drawing board ...

I did advise that he should have 3 legs, as correctly depicted in one two-part episode, and not 4 legs as depicted in the other of the same two-part episode :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:12 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

WB/DC has said "don't ask."

WB Animation has said "don't ask."

Mattel has said "don't ask."

AFI has said "don't ask."

So, I'll state it right now, and very early before any future poll...

Please don't ask...you're wasting a vote that could be used for someone who could get made.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:38 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

It's already been stated that Hal won't be included in polls.

Anywhere else ... I'm asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:48 am 
Dog Squeezer

JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
It's already been stated that Hal won't be included in polls.

Anywhere else ... I'm asking.

I agree. If they want our opinion they should get it.

They can keep saying no, but we should keep asking anyway.

Heck, DC told fans for years that Hal would NOT return as GL, but after a good 10 years of asking it happened anyway.

Who knows. The reason behind the "No Hal in JLU" could be a legitimate business reason with tons of complications.

Or it could just be a few specific decision makers being stubborn.

Either way, one thing everyone agrees on is that Mattel has been consistently asking for fan input.

So even if JLU Hal is considered a dead issue and we're told to shut up, I don't see why Hal fans should have to.

At the end of the day this whole forum is about our opinions. I'm not going to self censor. If the mods want to ban me, edit me or reinstitute the "NEVER MENTION HAL JORDAN AGAIN" rule that's fine.

Till then I'll keep sayin' what I want, telling it like I see it and asking for what I want.

^___^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next