Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:51 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Yeah, the classic "A" on Aquaman would be great. but anyway -

I was thinking about the Penguin. I really like him, (although the face may look a bit too angst ridden for some people) and I think what might be throwing some people off is his vest/cumberbund thing, i think (in some comic sources) we're used to seeing it start a lot lower down on his body. Anyway, I was playing with some ideas as far as paint and tried some different schemes, I'm kinda partial to the classic look. In one of the images, I "sanded down" the vest at the top there to see what it would look like, but that'd be a sculpting issue.

Anyway, see if it gives you any ideas -

Thanks for listening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:00 pm 
MINT!

John Jones wrote:
darkknight42 wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Shouldn't one of Aquaman's hands be blue? :P

yes, but not this Aquaman that everyone is referring to

Yes, I was meaning that it would look better on the 'classic' one. :?

Like so: Image

okay, well then it would not be the classic aquaman, classic aquaman is great the way he is, he is wearing the classic costume minus the big A on his belt and this costume would have worked a whole lot better for the modern aquaman, it may have been the same aquaman but a different costume for him and I don't give a rats ass about that new punk that they wanted to be aquaman, I hate DC for what they did to Aquaman

Last edited by darkknight42 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:03 pm 
MINT!

Zapruder wrote:
Yeah, the classic "A" on Aquaman would be great. but anyway -

I was thinking about the Penguin. I really like him, (although the face may look a bit too angst ridden for some people) and I think what might be throwing some people off is his vest/cumberbund thing, i think (in some comic sources) we're used to seeing it start a lot lower down on his body. Anyway, I was playing with some ideas as far as paint and tried some different schemes, I'm kinda partial to the classic look. In one of the images, I "sanded down" the vest at the top there to see what it would look like, but that'd be a sculpting issue.

Anyway, see if it gives you any ideas -

Thanks for listening!

yeah, pics 1,2 could go for a better classic penguin, pic 3 for a more modern penguin

Last edited by darkknight42 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:11 pm 
MINT!

tanglevine wrote:
I'm onboard with the batman having black trunks with or without the blue hilights.

actually, it is blue trunks with darker shading and if Mattel wants a classic batman then he must have the darker shading on the blue trunks as well as the darker shading on the blue cowl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:38 am 
Prototype

I like the first Penguin pic. Reminds me of the Super Powers figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:40 pm 
MINT!

May not be the right place to ask.

Will we be getting a more accurate coloured Superman with S-shield on cape?

Post subject: Re: Changes needed to paint on DCUC figures Wave 1 or 2
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:47 pm 
MINT!

ToyGuru wrote:
Hey gang,

I've seen alot of emails flying around commenting about certain figures not having the right colors on boots/belts etc. (Aquaman among others)

If someone will please follow up this post with point by point what they feel the changes should be on figures in wave 1 and 2 (with comic images to back up comments) I will pass on to the designers to see if these changes are possible.

I just ask that people don't post the same comments twice. Keep it short and to the point please.

Thanks,

TG

okay here is how the modern Red Tornado's paints should look with green eyes

Classic Batman paints, Batman was based off Aparo designs accept the headsculpt.

Classic Firestorm should have puffy sleeves.

I do know what I am talking about I paid for these to be done by a well known customizer and I provided the pics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:37 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Scott Rogers wrote:
tanglevine wrote:
And building off the picture provided by ashley76, the inside of Batmans cape would be fan-friggin-tastic if it were black - but that's a minor critique, the figure still looks cool.

I disagree. That black-inside cape is an abberation and definately not-on model.

I second the desire for Batman to have a yellow belt rather than the golden one.

It also depends on the feel you're going for, but if you want to do a "Super Powers" Batman, then his underwear should remain blue. But if you are striving for a Pre-Crisis/Bronze Age Batman, then the underpants should be black or black with blue highlights along the sides.

Toyguru, thanks for listening to us uber-geeks on this. Sorry about my previous post, I couldn't resist! :P

Even though Batman's trunks were rendered to look black with blue highlights, I always interpreted that as heavy shading. They used to do the same thing with Superman, but despite that, his trunks are still red.

Here's an example with Superman:

Here they do the same thing with Batman and Superman:

Despite the shading, Superman's trunks are red, not black. I've always assumed the same thing with Batman.

If Batman's trunks were supposed to be black, then Adam West's and Super Friends Batman's would have been black as well, right?

One of my favorite things about this line is that the style of sculpting will be consistent throughout, as opposed to DCD where each set reflects a particular artist's style.

Regardless of how they used to shade him back in the day, I think Batman's "undies" should stay blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:37 am 

If you say that, then shouldn't his head be all blue as well? The black with blue highlights is just a way for making the Batman look like he has the black shading any ways. Which looks cool and makes him look more different than the current Batman in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:21 am 

Yeah I have to say Batman's trunks are fine the way they are. I presonally like that figure very much even tho I have to many batmen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:34 am 

Rebreather#62 wrote:
If you say that, then shouldn't his head be all blue as well? The black with blue highlights is just a way for making the Batman look like he has the black shading any ways. Which looks cool and makes him look more different than the current Batman in my opinion.

I understand your point, but I always interpreted the black on his mask as actually being there and not just shading, like ole Adam West. But that's just my take, I didn't draw him.

They eventually did away with Batman's stylish mask eyebrows in the comics so whether or not you leave those on the figure would just be a matter of which era of Bats you're doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:06 am 
Killer Mothman

Rebreather#62 wrote:

It's been handled both ways concurrently depending on the production needs of the licensor. For example - the Mego World's Greatest Heroes Batman had black trunks while the Mego Pocket Heroes Batman had blue trunks.

Traditionally the blue trunks has been for toys (Pocket heroes, Super Powers) due to production restrictions. Since this no longer is the case due to advances in toy production and budgets, it becomes an athestics issue.

Personally, I like the Black better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:15 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

This really isn't a comment on wave 1 or 2 but would it be possible to get a Superman with a lighter blue and red instead of maroon. Put an S on the back of the cape and voila. Give us a new head sculpt with a long haired variant pack them 50/50 and you got sure fired seller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:54 pm 

DC Superfan wrote:
This really isn't a comment on wave 1 or 2 but would it be possible to get a Superman with a lighter blue and red instead of maroon. Put an S on the back of the cape and voila. Give us a new head sculpt with a long haired variant pack them 50/50 and you got sure fired seller.

You've got my vote on that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:28 pm 
MINT!

Mainman wrote:
DC Superfan wrote:

You've got my vote on that!

Mine as well :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next