Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:32 pm 
Wonderdog

DC Superfan wrote:
This really isn't a comment on wave 1 or 2 but would it be possible to get a Superman with a lighter blue and red instead of maroon. Put an S on the back of the cape and voila. Give us a new head sculpt with a long haired variant pack them 50/50 and you got sure fired seller.

Don't stop there. Once you've got the long haired sculpt, stick that on the black costumed Superman, tear out the cape, and voila! Recovery suit Superman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:08 pm 
active in the community

I also subscribe to the thought that the black on Batman's (and Superman's) trunks is just shading. Please keep them blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, It's not much of an issue for me, but I hope they do keep the black on Bats and Supes. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:05 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

John Jones wrote:
Well, It's not much of an issue for me, but I hope they do keep the black on Bats and Supes. :)

I know some people feel that way, but the main reason I'm against it is because, from what I can tell, the DCUC sculpts aren't supposed to be artist specific sculpts, but instead have a uniform style of sculpting and paint application.

I don't think any sort of stylized shading should be painted onto any of the figures, regardless of what era they're supposed to represent.

Orion is a Jack Kirby creation, and he was illustrated in this style:

But I much prefer a figure that has the same style of sculpting and paint application as the rest of the DCUC, like this:

As opposed to DCD's "Kirby-styled" figure, like this:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:29 pm 

Batman really needs the black shadows on his mask and trucks, it's the classic design for that character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:00 am 
requestor of thick tufts of chest hair

The black parts of BATMAN's mask and trunks are shading. The reason that the rest of his outfit appears blue is because the comics can't really show black-on-black shading very well. In recent years, however, they have come closer to an authentic all-black Batman by using gray instead of blue.

To give him a perfectly round black Roman Arch over his eyebrows is to misinterpret what the black part is. It's not a perfectly shaped black panel of material sewn into his blue cowl. It should be an amorphic black shadow.

Same for the trunks. The black represents the gathers in the cloth, based on, and pardon me for saying this, the size, shape and position of his "package."

The same goes for classic AQUAMAN. As much as we may prefer all-black trunks, they should really be green with black highlights. Mego and Kenner gave him all-black trunks, and that's what we are used to, but that's not what was intended as the actual color scheme of Aquaman's uniform.

As for the PENGUIN, if we must be satisified with the sculpt alone, the first touched-up photo above is the right color scheme (mostly blue with a touch of orange creeping out from under his gut). Of course the blue is supposed to represent black. But the same could be said for the blue in classic Batman's costume as well...as mentioned above.

Honestly, the sculpt really needs to be reconsidered. It's a bit grotesque, and not at all the quintessential image of the Penguin. I also see the Penguin as much heavier than this. I would point you in the direction of the Super Powers version for a more genuine and classic-looking Penguin, or perhaps even DC Direct's Silver Age Penguin figure...which looks perfect alongside your current Joker figure. Or even your 8-inch Target exclusive from a few years back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:52 pm 

DragonsKeep wrote:
The black parts of BATMAN's mask and trunks are shading. The reason that the rest of his outfit appears blue is because the comics can't really show black-on-black shading very well. In recent years, however, they have come closer to an authentic all-black Batman by using gray instead of blue.

To give him a perfectly round black Roman Arch over his eyebrows is to misinterpret what the black part is. It's not a perfectly shaped black panel of material sewn into his blue cowl. It should be an amorphic black shadow.

Same for the trunks. The black represents the gathers in the cloth, based on, and pardon me for saying this, the size, shape and position of his "package."

The same goes for classic AQUAMAN. As much as we may prefer all-black trunks, they should really be green with black highlights. Mego and Kenner gave him all-black trunks, and that's what we are used to, but that's not what was intended as the actual color scheme of Aquaman's uniform.

I agree with you about the shading on Batman's trunks, and upon looking at the art closer, the mask as well, but excluding his very early appearances, Golden Age and Silver Age Batman's mask and trunks are blue. I know they used to highlight Batman with blue on BTAS, but as far as the classic comics go, that wasn't just a highlight. Here's an example with good ole Silver Age Bats here:

If his cape and cowl are really black, then that's one hell of a highlight!

As far as the roman arch on the mask, I personally would like to see it go. However, despite the fact that we both agree that the black is only shading, the black arch was used for Adam West and on Super Friends Batman, so shading or not, I guess it's just a matter of preference.

Now with Aquaman, I think you're wrong about his trunks:

There's no green highlight or anything. Classic Aquaman's trunks are black.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:39 am 

This is interesting: When the 1989 Batman came out, and Batman was clad entirely in black for what seemed to be the first time, someone from DC came foward to explain that that's the way it's supposed to be. I don't remember who it was, but I do remember him stating that the only reason DC uses blue (and grey, for that matter) at all is for asthetics...like the blue highlights in comicbook characters' hair. Batman apparently is supposed to be dressed entirely in black, but they use blue and grey for highlites and details.

Black trunks on Aquaman is a tough call.

I definitely prefer to see the black trunks, because that's what I am used to, but I don't know that there's definitive answer on whether or not they should be black or green. Here's a sampling of what's gone before:

Captain Action - black
1960's Animated - black
Mego - black
Super Friends Animated - black
Super Powers - black
Toy Biz - green
Total Justice - green
Superman TAS - green
JLU - green
DCD Silver Age - black
DCD JLA - green
DCD Alex Ross - green
DCD 13" - black
DCD New Aquaman - green

I still think the black represents shading, even though those comicbook examples clearly show black trunks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:36 am 

DragonsKeep wrote:
This is interesting: When the 1989 Batman came out, and Batman was clad entirely in black for what seemed to be the first time, someone from DC came foward to explain that that's the way it's supposed to be. I don't remember who it was, but I do remember him stating that the only reason DC uses blue (and grey, for that matter) at all is for asthetics...like the blue highlights in comicbook characters' hair. Batman apparently is supposed to be dressed entirely in black, but they use blue and grey for highlites and details.

That's true and makes sense if you look at the very early Golden Age Batman art:

He's obviously black and the blue is a highlight. However, once they started rendering him like this:

The illusion of blue as a highlight is lost.

If someone from DC came forward for Batman '89 and claimed that his ENTIRE suit had always been black, I would read that more as a "shut the nerds up about it not being comic accurate" PR move, more than a true statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:01 pm 

Hey, who are you calling a nerd...?

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

My two cents:

I love the idea of clear Superman Red/Blue, but I love the figures as they are and I'd rather see them solid.

IMO, Aquaman's trunks are black, Superman's are red, and Batman's are blue. In the Silver Age the black was shading, opposite of the early golden age when the blue was shading. Stick with the paint apps from SDCC and I'll be a happy camper.

I'd like to see a Penguin in the classic color scheme with a blue coat.

Modern Red Tornado should have a gold border to help distinguish from the variant (And to be correct). Should the tornado attachment be red?

Modern Aquaman is a little off - he doesn't quite match anything. A water hand, might help him more than anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:30 pm 
MINT!

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
My two cents:

I love the idea of clear Superman Red/Blue, but I love the figures as they are and I'd rather see them solid.

IMO, Aquaman's trunks are black, Superman's are red, and Batman's are blue. In the Silver Age the black was shading, opposite of the early golden age when the blue was shading. Stick with the paint apps from SDCC and I'll be a happy camper.

I'd like to see a Penguin in the classic color scheme with a blue coat.

Modern Red Tornado should have a gold border to help distinguish from the variant (And to be correct). Should the tornado attachment be red?

Modern Aquaman is a little off - he doesn't quite match anything. A water hand, might help him more than anything.

okay to be a true classic Batman hs need the black shading on his mask and trunks and inside of his cape, that is how the classic Batman was drawn and modern Batman still is by some artists of today
I agree on Penguin
I agree on Red Tornado
The modern Aquaman in the comics right now in which this figure will represent is not a more modern version of Arthur Curry or Orin Aquaman but some assinine idea from DC Comics in which pretty soon the series will be cancelled, Aquaman with the water hand is whom the variant, I think of Arthur should have been represented and not this punk that DC Comics thought of, idiots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:08 am 
Fugitive Dust

darkknight42 wrote:
Mainman wrote:
DC Superfan wrote:
This really isn't a comment on wave 1 or 2 but would it be possible to get a Superman with a lighter blue and red instead of maroon. Put an S on the back of the cape and voila. Give us a new head sculpt with a long haired variant pack them 50/50 and you got sure fired seller.

You've got my vote on that!

Mine as well :D

Fourthed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:33 pm 
Knows his stuff

i'll try to get something in photoshop on how it would look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:38 pm 
Knows his stuff

it didnt work...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next