Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:30 pm 
MINT!

And since I think it's against forum rules to post the same posting in two different threads, the actual question I keep trying to ask is over in the "impatient" thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:41 pm 
Displays Backwards

SDcomics wrote:
>>So, could someone explain-- what does Hasbro do right that Mattel does wrong?<<

Okay, this has been explained about ten gazillion times around here, but hey, what the heck. Let's do this again.

2007 was a tough year for retail shelf space. There were four, count'em four, major movies that were released this year that had a toy line. Spider-Man 3, Pirates of the Carribean, Transformers and Fantastic Four 2. Wal-mart, Target, TRU and the other retailers only have a limited amount of shelf space that they can devote to each line. And I can tell you right now, they're going to devote the most space to the lines that have a movie that they can tie the toys into. The movie promotes the toys. The toys promote the movies (And the inevitable DVDs.) See how that works? It's just good business.

All four of those action figure lines will hang around through Christmas. When the stores do their January and Spring resets, you'll see some major changes. The Dark Knight movie toys will be huge next year. So will the 6" DC Classics line. Mattel and DC will get a lot more lovin'.

Go to your local Target or Wal-Mart today and take a look around at the action figure aisle. Look at how much space Spider-Man 3, Pirates and the Transformers are taking. And then think about how much more space the retailers are going to have when that stuff is gone.

Mike
(Thank goodness that the January resets aren't that far off anymore. Frankly, I'm getting tired of going over this.)

I think you're completely wrong. The TRUs and Targets near me always have JLU and DC figs on the pegs. It's just the same figures no one wants to buy anymore they keep putting out, and the ones we do want to buy are scarce. The big four movies have nothing to do with Mattel's poor case assortments. They do the same thing with the Cars toys, and the pegs are clogged with the same cars (Sherrif, Sally, Hamm).

And your rudeness is unbecoming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Hey, I just took offense because I feel I'm addressing a real problem and got what I, in my opinion, felt was an insultingly stock response that dismissed my feelings out of hand. <<

And if you can't look around in a Target or a Wal-Mart and see just how much shelf space the Spidey 3, Transformers and Pirates merchandise is taking up, then I don't know what else to say. It's such simple logic that it astounds me that you can't see it. The 2007 movie stuff won't be there in 2008. Retailers will then allot Mattel more space. It's simple. So why are you making it so hard?

>>And there's no need to threaten me, as you did in a different thread a moment ago. I really don't think I say anything so caustic as to derserve getting kicked off the boards-- <<

Oh, please. Stop being so dramatic. Nobody's threatened to ban you.

>>and many, many members have risen to my defense over some of my most supposedly outrageous comments. <<

Can you provide a link, please? Because I'd like to see that.

>>I feel my job around here is to keep things from getting boring.<<

And to me, making the same point, over and over again, ad nauseum, isn't boring. It's annoying.

>>But you know, first and foremost, this Forum should be fun. <<

Well, it used to be. Wanna know what other online communities think of this board? Click here, here and here. It's pretty sad, really.

Mike
(Lawsey. Spring 2008 just can't get here fast enough ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:50 pm 
What I've heard is, Hasbro paid Wal-Mart for shelf space, Mattel didn't and got squeezed out.

Mattel has learned from this and has said that they are going to pay for shelf space and match Hasbro wall of toys to wall of toys once DCU is ready to hit early next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>And your rudeness is unbecoming.<<

You only think I'm being rude because I don't see things your way. If I agreed with ya, it'd be a whole different story.

Mike
(The End)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:06 pm 
MINT!

SD Mike:

Look, we all want Mattel to succeed. Even though the thing I keep saying isn't exactly what you think I keep saying, you're right, I DO keep saying it. And I'm not saying I'll never say it again-- but I tell you what, Moderator, I won't initiate any threads about it.

Even though I couldn't care less about what other geek forums think about your geek forum, I do admire the job you all do and I for one am not going to drag this drastically devolving discussion out any further. Maybe you missed my point, but I have made it, so I don't need to make it again.

Get a good night's rest, sounds like maybe you could use one.

Could have sworn you owned a comic shop. Oh well.

KMZ out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm 
Prototype

Hasbro had countless neon Batman repaints when they had the DC license. Mattel has hardly any, which I'm grateful for. I think Mattel will solve the distribution and peg space problems in 08.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Even though I couldn't care less about what other geek forums think about your geek forum<<

And here you are, on a "geek forum", continuing with your geek "rants".

>>Maybe you missed my point, but I have made it, so I don't need to make it again. <<

:roll:

>>ould have sworn you owned a comic shop. Oh well. <<

One last little shot for the road, huh? Sweet.

Mike
(I'll be a lot more like the "comic book guy" when I feel the need to "rant" on a toy message board. But as you said, that's your job. Gotta make things "fun" around here, right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 pm 
Displays Backwards

SDcomics wrote:

You only think I'm being rude because I don't see things your way. If I agreed with ya, it'd be a whole different story.

Mike
(The End)

No, you have been rude this whole thread. If you agreed with me, I still wouldn't want you to be rude.

And from the links to those other message boards, they seem to be full of rude folks. Then again, the internet is full of those kind of people. Bashing other message boards? How lame.

I just want to be able to buy the cool JLU figs Mattel is making. That's all. I actually found the Joker 3-pack today!! It's been like six months since I've bought anything JLU. We just want to be able to buy the figs, and Mattel is notorious for sucking at this stuff. Guess it's not having what you want, but wanting what you got, like Sheryl Crow says. :D

Last edited by BCYa on Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

BCYa wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Mike
(The End)

No, you have been rude this whole thread. If you agreed with me, I still wouldn't want you to be rude.

And from the links to those other message boards, they seem to be full of dicks. Then again, the internet is fully of those kind of people.

I just want to be able to buy the cool JLU figs Mattel is making. That's all. I actually found the Joker 3-pack today!! It's been like six months since I've bought anything JLU. We just want to be able to buy the figs, and Mattel is notorious for sucking at this stuff. Guess it's not having what you want, but wanting what you got, like Sheryl Crow says. :D

So you got 2 user ID's on here,one to post your opinions and one so it seems like you have someone that agrees with you. That's pretty funny that the only person you can get to agree with is your imaginary friend,kinda sad in a way. And if your that desperate for friends then maybe you should change the way you talk to people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:54 pm 
5th Horseman

While I do agree to a degree that Mattel has shipped out the same damn things too often in the past year, there's no denying this was a big movie year, and not for Mattel. Next year, finally, we get OUR chance! I want DCUC in full effect, the collector's line to get, and in fair quantities.

Since I've noticed KillerMothzilla threads they've generally been negative and not necessarily fun, not to me anyway. Doing a 'Twisted ToyFare theatre' type thing with DCSH or action thread would be fun to me, but mocking out Mattel, even when deserved, just dampers spirits and doesn't help. Just my two cents.

The only topic worth discussing is when DCUC Wave 1 is out and how sweet it is.......since we can't do that for about, say, 4 months, I'm gonna hide out for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm 
The Last Word

SDcomics wrote:

Seriously.

People, SDcomics and I don't always see eye to eye on everything, but there's no "rudeness" in this thread. It's frustration, and it's the result of the same things being posted to thread after thread after thread. I don't even post here much, and it gets on my nerves, so I can only imagine how annoying it would be to someone who's here daily.

BCYa wrote:
And from the links to those other message boards, they seem to be full of dicks.

They might be dicks, but that would only make them dicks who have a point. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:06 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Ok, now I have a question about this whole controversy.

Y'know, everyone keeps asking "why does Hasbro get it when Mattel still doesn't?

Here's my question: "how is it those same fans who can somehow apply an understanding of the current day retail market to Hasbro CAN'T SEEM TO DO THE SAME FREAKIN' THING FOR MATTEL?!"

An example-

Hasbro: "I just pre-ordered my latest Stormtrooper set at {such and such} website, and I'm gonna shell out another $50 for this ultra-limited Anakin and Optimus. I also figured I'd throw in that spare Lord Vader Transformer for my nephew."

Mattel: "IT JUST ISN'T FAIR! I keep going to Toys R Us cause my kids want those Justice League figures so badly, and they're not there. And that new He-Man figure? MARKET IT TO THE KIDS! THESE TOYS ARE DOOMED UNLESS KIDS CAN GET THEM, TOO!!!!!!!!!"

Explain THAT to me. It seems Mattel is definitely stuck in the past with their marketing strategy, and I've never questioned that for a second( though I think they might fix it), now it would be nice if the FANS AND COLLECTORS can update themselves on that too. I mean, y'do it for Hasbro and Marvel Toys and Jakks, but when it comes to Mattel, that's a no-no?

Here's another example: At the SDCC, fans are always asking Hasbro about what WILL be. Mattel collectors only ask WHY THEY DIDN'T DO THIS OR THAT.

I hate to say it- but I almost feel sorry for Mattel- especially since such a freakin 'double standard is applied to them- and they are still utterly dumbfounded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:41 am 
MINT!

SDcomics wrote:
>>ould have sworn you owned a comic shop. Oh well. <<

One last little shot for the road, huh? Sweet.

Mike
(I'll be a lot more like the "comic book guy" when I feel the need to "rant" on a toy message board. But as you said, that's your job. Gotta make things "fun" around here, right?)

No, seriously, I thought "SDComics" stood for "San Diego Comics" as in a shop you owned, or worked in, or something.

For most of my adult life, I've been an action figure expert. Not because I say so, but because that's what the TV, radio, and print interviewers called me. I joined the forum here because it seemed much more smart and reasonable than the other geek forums. I hate to say this, but judging by some of the more recent posts in various threads (by various people), I'm obviously playing in the little leagues here. I kept repeating my concern about Mattel because I wasn't getting any sensible, constructive answers, just the same old pat, parroted responses.

And by the way, all the Pirates 3 and Spiderman 3 figures on Earth aren't filling up those ten or twelve mostly-empty pegs of 6" Superman and Bizarro and JLU Zatanna and Trinity packs.

Thanks to those who have spoken up and supported me, it took guts. And Mike, I don't need to provide links, just read my old threads and see for yourself.

I love AFI and I always found the forum interesting, but I'm not going to participate in it any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:56 am 
MINT!

DC Superfan wrote:
[

So you got 2 user ID's on here,one to post your opinions and one so it seems like you have someone that agrees with you. That's pretty funny that the only person you can get to agree with is your imaginary friend,kinda sad in a way. And if your that desperate for friends then maybe you should change the way you talk to people.

One last thing--- was this comment directed at me? Because that is the most childish nonsense I've ever witnessed on this forum, whether it's directed at me or not.

Or maybe I'm lying-- maybe ALL the members who've agreed with me are ALL alternate IDs. Oh. My. God.

Like I said, little league.

And by the way, the contraction of "you are" is "you're."

And that's my final comment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next