Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:55 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

DC Superfan wrote:
The point is that this crap is getting old regardless of spelling mistakes. Mattel hasn't had a chance to prove that they are working on it and they won't until the summer movie toys are off the shelves. That's what SDComics is trying to say. When all of those figures are gone and on clearance it will free up some peg space. Mattel doesn't believe their lines can compete with big media tie in lines so they are waiting to unleash the beast.

Quoted for truth.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:13 am 
Loose, Missing Package

MoMoney wrote:
Sorry, the "your/you're" thing is a pet peeve of mine, too.

Don't know which bothers me more, the "your/you're" thing or the "their/they're/there" problem some people seem to have... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:06 am 
shirtless hugger

Your all just being picky abowt the gramar and speling. :wink:

About for other boards mocking AFI, I find it amusing. Was there overreaction from this board? Yes. But did Mattel make promises and build up expectations, only to show one new JLU figure? Yes again. I still can't decide which is more immature, being upset over a toy line, or trying to shingbling all over other boards in an immature manner.

Were all those links for the same board? Two lead to the same board, and the other shares the same posters.

As for Mattel, the only thing working against them is distribution (I know, dead horse). Other than that, their DC stuff is fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:12 pm 
The Last Word

Jim_Abell wrote:
Don't know which bothers me more, the "your/you're" thing or the "their/they're/there" problem some people seem to have... :?

You also have "its" vs. "it's" and phantom apostrophes that have no place in creating the plural form of a word... We didn't start buying DVD's in the 90's; we started buying DVDs in the '90s. These are major pet peeves for me. It's as though most of the internet slept through English class in grade school.

Arrakhat wrote:
But did Mattel make promises and build up expectations, only to show one new JLU figure? Yes again.

I never saw a representative from Mattel "promise" that any new JLU figures would be shown in San Diego.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:22 pm 
Collector Inspector

Please tell me you guys really don't get upset about others grammar. Please......Please tell me you really aren't that OCD. :lol: If this is true I think we have found the real answer to the other threard: JLU fans - Why are we so damn impatient? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:24 pm 
5th Horseman

Poor grammar doesn't kill me from others, but I'm relatively meticulous with my own......or so I think.

I don't follow JLU much, but just couldn't sympathize with the JLU fans who have eaten so much these last 4-5 years while the comic fans have been starvin' for some good toys. Mattel acquiring the license improved DCSH more than any other DC brand, or any toy brand on the market for that matter and SDCC should've reflected it. It did. Now we wait. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:56 pm 
The Last Word

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
Please tell me you guys really don't get upset about others grammar. Please......Please tell me you really aren't that OCD.

Writing and editing are part of what I do for a living, so yes, it's a major pet peeve for me. I don't get "upset" about it, but I do find it frustrating.

ditko wrote:
I don't follow JLU much, but just couldn't sympathize with the JLU fans who have eaten so much these last 4-5 years while the comic fans have been starvin' for some good toys.

I wasn't exactly disappointed with the JLU news from Mattel, because the news was good. The line is going to be expanded and more characters are available to them.

But as a fan of both the DCAU and DC Comics, I have to say that I haven't been hurting for good toys from the latter. I love the DC Direct figures I've purchased over the last few years, and I'm not at all keen on the DCSH stuff from Mattel. The first thing I've seen that interests me is the Red Tornado.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:59 pm 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader wrote:
Arrakhat wrote:
But did Mattel make promises and build up expectations, only to show one new JLU figure? Yes again.

I never saw a representative from Mattel "promise" that any new JLU figures would be shown in San Diego.

And did I say that Mattel promised figures? No. But they promised that we would be excited by big things. That falls under the building expectations problem. With threads all over talking about expecting the biggest showing yet, Mattel reps just smiling and nodding gave everyone the wrong impression.

Looking back through past posts, I was also hyped because someone had a source that indicated "more than six figures," and similar ideas. I'm sgtarting to forget who said what, but it doesn't matter too much. Time marches on and all that. *Tries to remember how trivial this all is in life*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:39 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

The number one complainer, Rouges Gallery is long gone.

Not only did he broogle and moan about everything, he had a grammatical error in his own name.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 pm 
serves the Otter

I feeling is that the many time many peoples complaint about JLU is justifieable. But I also thinking is that we must to need make good forum where noone is insult and harbour ill feeling. We can makes the good relationship in any bad situation or disagree. You think? You don't think?

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:03 pm 
Knows his stuff

The summer movie glut has NOTHING to do with the basic topic of this thread, or the actual consequences of Mattels actions. Yes, I know what Mattel's BW said about available peg space, and the movies, and yada yada yada.

Fact, Mattel made the decision to heavy pack the trinity sets, thinking this was a good tactic for maintaining the lines sell through during this "tough" time. This might of been a good idea for a few months, but for most of the year? This should of been a temp thing, that got changed by now.

I visit my local Target 2 times a week during lunch, and they have had the same 3-packs all summer. Literally the very same 6 trinity packs, 3 knight packs, 2 steel-supergirl 3 packs, and a few old blue Target exclusive 3 packs. They can not sell them, so they will not get any new replacement packs in to sell. I've seen this play out in other local Targets too.

The movies may have limited Mattel's available space true, but it had nothing to do with them making a very bad marketing blunder. Why limit what you can sell at any time? If I was doing a comic show, or toy show as a vendor, I wouldn't show up with just one product to sell. Why would Mattel think this was a good plan? Sorry, but this was a major lapse of IQ, and the movies had no part in what we are dealing with now.

"Um, Mr. Comic Guy, do you have anything else other than this Batman comic?" -- "No, I only brought 987 copies of Batman #319. Buy this copy though, you will like it. Oh, and go tell 986 of your friends where you got it."

Sheesh...

gd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 pm 
Collector Inspector

Christophe wrote:
I feeling is that the many time many peoples complaint about JLU is justifieable. But I also thinking is that we must to need make good forum where noone is insult and harbour ill feeling. We can makes the good relationship in any bad situation or disagree. You think? You don't think?

:lol:

BAAAAAWHAAWWWW :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:01 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Cookie_TXPSY wrote:
Please tell me you guys really don't get upset about others grammar. Please......Please tell me you really aren't that OCD. :lol:

I was an English major, so, yeah, it bothers me. Normally I don't say anything about it because I know that English isn't everyone's first language, but it does bug me. I also realize that some of my grammer and spelling aren't the best in the world anymore (and my typing leaves a lot to be desired, too) because it's been nearly 20 years since I flunked out of college for not being able to pass a history class or high school algebra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:13 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Caped Crusader and Jim Abell, I'm right there with you. I'm a writer and editor and majored in English, too, so the spelling errors tend to bug me as well. Sorry, Cookie_TXPSY, but when you do this stuff for a living, you CAN'T turn it off.

I don't comment on it, because it's hard to tell if it's actually bad spelling or bad typing. In the comment that kicked this off, I tend to think it's simply a typo, since "you're" was used correctly within the same post.

Off-topic, sorry. Just wanted to show some love to the writers out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:39 am 
The Last Word

Arrakhat wrote:
And did I say that Mattel promised figures? No. But they promised that we would be excited by big things. That falls under the building expectations problem.

And I am excited by big things. Captain Marvel is available. That's exciting! No problem there. So on what "promise" did Mattel fail to deliver?

Arrakhat wrote:
I was also hyped because someone had a source that indicated "more than six figures," and similar ideas.

Well, Mattel can't really be blamed for rumor and speculation.

geoffdude wrote:
The summer movie glut has NOTHING to do with the basic topic of this thread, or the actual consequences of Mattels actions. Yes, I know what Mattel's BW said about available peg space, and the movies, and yada yada yada.

Fact, Mattel made the decision to heavy pack the trinity sets, thinking this was a good tactic for maintaining the lines sell through during this "tough" time. This might of been a good idea for a few months, but for most of the year? This should of been a temp thing, that got changed by now.

I visit my local Target 2 times a week during lunch, and they have had the same 3-packs all summer. Literally the very same 6 trinity packs, 3 knight packs, 2 steel-supergirl 3 packs, and a few old blue Target exclusive 3 packs. They can not sell them, so they will not get any new replacement packs in to sell. I've seen this play out in other local Targets too.

The movies may have limited Mattel's available space true, but it had nothing to do with them making a very bad marketing blunder. Why limit what you can sell at any time? If I was doing a comic show, or toy show as a vendor, I wouldn't show up with just one product to sell. Why would Mattel think this was a good plan? Sorry, but this was a major lapse of IQ, and the movies had no part in what we are dealing with now.

I'm not sure how many times this needs to be said, but the case ratios are based on requests from corporate buyers from the large retailers. These things don't go to Target on a consignment basis, and Mattel cannot force them to purchase more obscure characters most people have never heard of to stock in their toy aisles. So your "fact" isn't a "fact" at all. Mattel did exactly what their customers - for those keeping score, those are the big retailers - wanted them to do.

Bryan Long wrote:
Caped Crusader and Jim Abell, I'm right there with you. I'm a writer and editor and majored in English, too, so the spelling errors tend to bug me as well. Sorry, Cookie_TXPSY, but when you do this stuff for a living, you CAN'T turn it off.

I don't comment on it, because it's hard to tell if it's actually bad spelling or bad typing. In the comment that kicked this off, I tend to think it's simply a typo, since "you're" was used correctly within the same post.

Off-topic, sorry. Just wanted to show some love to the writers out there.

Hey, right back at you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next