Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Am I the only one who cares about paint jobs on DCSH?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:47 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I see these people spending hundreds of dollars on the new Batman figs without even seeing them in hand, I know Catwoman and Clayface are pretty much one color each but Mattel can find a way to screw even that paint job up! Mattel should spend a little and train the chimps that paint the figs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

Well,The paint jobs on DCSH figures have been great besides Supes,from what I have seen,especially for a mass market line. How can you screw Clayface up? He looks like a giant pile of shingbling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:08 pm 

lol, good point on %*&%face. I do agree though I'm patient unless I see it in person I am weary. Overall though I am happy with the majority of the dcsh I've bought (which is ALOT)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:17 pm 
I'm liking Mattel's DCSH paint applications, they are pretty sophisticated, on most figures, when comparied to the paint of other companies (lots of shading, blends, and detail).

That said the paint on Cyborg Superman is really spotty...litterly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:19 pm 
Prototype

Very rarely do I see a bad paint job on the DCSH figures. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:23 pm 
shirtless hugger

I've yet to see more than the slightest slop on my figures. Guess it's a mixed bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:37 am 
Loose, Missing Package

The only one I've had any type of issues with the paint on is Parasite's white detailing, other than that I've only seen a few "S"s that weren't as nice as they could be, but not many -- and I'm pretty picky with my paint jobs as I'm an opener, if I collected carded I'd probably be more concerned with card condition.

Now, on JLU I'll pretty much take what I can get since it's so tough to find a second version to compare and choose, but I do if given the opportunity...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:15 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I'd like Mattel to reissue Azreal, but in a lighter red and with gold gauntlets. I finally got one off ebay, which meant I couldnt check the paint before I brought it, and the colours are really dark. In the pics below you can see the difference between the correct colours on the prototype and the darker ones on the released figure. The gauntlets are almost black and the red is almost brown-ish burgandy on my figure.
(the pics are off the net as I cant take any photos of my Azreal at the moment, but the pic of the actual figure is close to how dark the paint is on my one).

That said, its a great figure and the one that has made me want to get into collecting DCSH, I just wish the colours were more like the comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 am 
4" scale

It's a mass market toy. I don't really expect 100% perfect paint on it. I'm more concerned about the loose joints than I am with paint apps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:44 am 
Former King of Posts

I think people are more concerned about finding them at this point. They are willing to overlook a slight flaw to get the figure. I've seen your posts before and know you are very particular about the figures you select for your collection. Not all of us are or can be, especially if we think it might be the only copy of a specific figure we will ever see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:15 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

superfriend wrote:
I've seen your posts before and know you are very particular about the figures you select for your collection. Not all of us are or can be, especially if we think it might be the only copy of a specific figure we will ever see.

Yeah I know, I don't mean to sound so picky. I am really glad that the character was made at all, let alone with such a good sculpt and articulation. I will probably amend the colours on mine to get them to my liking at some point, but I am happy that I have the figure in the first place to be able to to that.

Maybe when mattel really get the line running with the new licence, we could see some themed box sets of DCSH arond xmas time. That way they could do a re-release of some of the harder to find figures with one or two new ones.
Like a Reign of the Supermen box set, or a Batman Knightfall box set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:00 pm 
my tummy itches

Who cares about paint... or rather how can one care about paint aps when one cannot find the figures themselves. From what Ive seen though, the 1st run of Supes had the most regular problems. Of all the Supes and Bizaros since, most have appeared just fine to me. If anything I give the painting consistant high marks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:47 am 

I collect this line both loose and MOC, I must say that the 1st run of Superman was the worst for me, the paint jobs certainly have improved but they're still there, I spotted a bunch of Monguls with some pretty significant slop, I was just trying to make the point that I prefer to check them out in person before I buy, that being said, even if it had the best paint apps in the world, I would never pay $200 for Clayface!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:52 am 
Joint Unfreezer

Batman305 wrote:
I collect this line both loose and MOC, I must say that the 1st run of Superman was the worst for me, the paint jobs certainly have improved but they're still there, I spotted a bunch of Monguls with some pretty significant slop, I was just trying to make the point that I prefer to check them out in person before I buy, that being said, even if it had the best paint apps in the world, I would never pay $200 for Clayface!

That's great then you should have titled the thread" I would never pay $200 for a DCSH Clayface". It seems everyone has a problem with others buying activities around here. Because the only person here that bid 200.00 on Clayface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:12 am 
Former King of Posts

elvis8batman, I was replying to the very first post, by Batman305. Sorry for the confusion.