Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:38 pm 
5" Scale

I wish they would offer better case pack outs for online sellers and leave the "Timmy's Mom" sets for walmart and what not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:05 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Scott, I agree that it seems odd the way that they've been offering essentially the same characters in different formats at the same time. Now, I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but the original JL Trinity pack has been long gone around here, but the second set is still clogging up some stores (most notably K-Marts) and I'm wondering if the re-issue of the JL Trinity is an attempt to try to get those sets to move at full price by making all of the Lorders (except Hawkgirl, again...) available.

nightwing, I really have a feeling that the new strategy we've been hearing about will start with the re-branding of the line. Since, Mattel has been talking about a DC specific area in the stores I have a feeling this holiday season will be used to try to clear out the product that's there now as well as what's on the way and we'll get a fresh start with new assortment numbers when the store resets happen in January. I'm just hoping that that doesn't cause anymore problems than we've already got right now when it comes to getting the Fire/Ice and Mister Miracle sets (crosses fingers for Big Lots to come through again...). Then again, maybe -- just maybe -- those sets will actually be held back for the re-branding just to make sure that there is new product on the pegs until the "new stuff" we're all waiting to hear about is ready (which I would expect to be around March or April now considering how late in the year it is for them to be working on new stuff).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:28 pm 
Killer Mothman

nightwing wrote:
It is impossible to find the Justice Lords at this point in Chicago (except for in the new Red D-Day pack). I think it depends on location.

Jim_Abell wrote:
Now, I'm not sure what it's like in your area, but the original JL Trinity pack has been long gone around here, but the second set is still clogging up some stores...

In an attempt to address the fact that there seems to be a real out-of-whack distribution, I started a tracking/help thread here.

Maybe together we can help make a few collectors less frustrated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:40 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

riddler2403 wrote:
Yeah, but how many Supes and Bats figures does little Timmy need? :roll:

Well if they actually play with them like I used to, quite a few!

I'm tempted to go out in the backyard and send Superman up in a skyrocket for old times' sake ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:58 am 
Prototype

JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
riddler2403 wrote:
Yeah, but how many Supes and Bats figures does little Timmy need? :roll:

Well if they actually play with them like I used to, quite a few!

I'm tempted to go out in the backyard and send Superman up in a skyrocket for old times' sake ...

That is true. I always abused my action figures when I was a kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:49 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I completely understand Mattel re-releasing characters, especially Batman and Superman.

Even though a lot of collectors really enjoy the line, it's based off of a cartoon primarily designed for children and pre-teens, with a toyline marketed towards that same demographic.

When you market toys to kids, you have to keep in mind that your target audience is of varying age, and that a young boy who is now interested in Superman, may not have been old enough for an action figure a year ago. Should he not be able to get his very own Batman or Superman just because that series has already passed?

Of course they're going to get re-released, it's Batman and Superman!

This has already been somewhat touched on, but kids also have an incredible knack for breaking and losing their toys. If your kids loses his Superman at the beach, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to swing by Toys R Us and pick him up another one.

It's just sensible marketing.

I suppose Mattel could compromise and sell more "collector-oriented" sets at places like Spencer's Gifts or Hastings, but my guess is between DCD, and now DCSH, they assume most collectors want more realistic versions of characters as opposed to the animated-style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:58 pm 
Killer Mothman

Mainman wrote:
This has already been somewhat touched on, but kids also have an incredible knack for breaking and losing their toys. If your kids loses his Superman at the beach, it shouldn't be too big of a deal to swing by Toys R Us and pick him up another one.

Kids do lose their toys but have you accidently (or even actively) tried to break a JLU figure? Those little son-of-guns are sturdy! I customize and even I have a hard time cracking open a Superman!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 pm 

Quote:
Kids do lose their toys but have you accidently (or even actively) tried to break a JLU figure? Those little son-of-guns are sturdy! I customize and even I have a hard time cracking open a Superman!!

I've never bought a JLU figure, but I'll take your word for it. From what I've seen, Mattel seems to make a very good product.

Be that as it may, my primary point is that every year there is going to be a new group of children who are reaching the age where they stop playing with See 'N Say and start picking up action figures. Those kids should be able to easily find Batman, Superman, Flash and the rest of the Justice League headliners without any trouble.

For Mattel to do otherwise, would be like a kid collecting Masters of the Universe in the 80s and not being able to buy a He-Man because he was only offered 3 series ago.

Furthermore, you have to see it from Mattel's standpoint. In their overall market, there are a lot more consumers wanting Supermans and Batmans than Vigilantes and Obsidians.

I shuffle past the JLU figures when I'm looking for DCSH, and from what I can see, Mattel is doing a good job of combining the popular characters that are in demand, with the less notable ones.

Does it suck that you end up with 12 Flashes? Sure, but at the end of the day, these toys are primarily for children, and even though we all love our hobby, children are still the primary market for any children's cartoon-based action figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:01 pm 
Killer Mothman

Mainman wrote:
Be that as it may, my primary point is that every year there is going to be a new group of children who are reaching the age where they stop playing with See 'N Say and start picking up action figures. Those kids should be able to easily find Batman, Superman, Flash and the rest of the Justice League headliners without any trouble.

I agree with this. Which is why I wrote this:

Scott Rogers wrote:
I'm all for the "trinity" being available for the entire life of the line - it's what Kenner did for the original 12 Star Wars characters and I think it's a fine idea.

Mainman wrote:
Does it suck that you end up with 12 Flashes?

No. Because I turn them into Blue Beetles and other custom characters. However, IYRC (If you remember correctly) the Flash was very hard to find for about a year in a half... he might not have been in about three assortments during '06. But I digress.

What I said sucks is seeing the Justice Lords offered three times over the course of one year. Flash, and the rest of the core team, I can understand... but the freakin' Justice Lords who were in, what?, two episodes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:20 am 

Quote:
No. Because I turn them into Blue Beetles and other custom characters. However, IYRC (If you remember correctly) the Flash was very hard to find for about a year in a half... he might not have been in about three assortments during '06. But I digress.

I was just using Flash as an example. I guess I should have said Superman.

I have no idea who came out when, because I don't collect the line and could care less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:42 am 
Killer Mothman

Mainman wrote:
I was just using Flash as an example. I guess I should have said Superman.

I don't mind regular Supermans either. I turn those into Superman blues, Starmans, Cyborg Supermans... you get the idea.

Mainman wrote:
I have no idea who came out when, because I don't collect the line and could care less.

No offense, but does this mean you are trolling this thread? Just asking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:15 am 

No, just sharing my thoughts on why I think there are so many re-releases and why there will continue to be.

I love the show, I just don't want stylized, barely poseable DC figures.

I'm all about 4H sculpts over here!