Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DCUC 2-packs: How would you like them?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:58 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

While I think there are many logical two-packs - Booster Gold & Blue Beetle - not many reasonable ones that could sell well at mass market.

If I were Mattel I'd try:

1st round:
First Appearance Batman and Red Hood
Black suit Wonder Woman vs. Ares
Kyle Green Lantern vs. Goldface

2nd round:
Superman 1,000,000 vs. Metallo
Jay Flash vs. Heatwave
Grayson Robin vs. Mammoth

I'm not tying the actual figure to a villain they're known for because the point is to get lesser-knowns made. For example if I used a Barry or Wally Flash, I might use the Thinker as the villain (guy in a suit with a helmet similar to Jay - too similar to be in a pack with Jay but not Barry). With a FA Batman I'd use modern Red Hood. If it's a modern Batman, I'd use GA Red Hood.

I also used unique designs for the heroes. If Mattel is looking to cost save, they could easily just use a Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. that's already been done. I'd be ok with that if it's a way to get other characters we'd not otherwise see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:50 am 
Collector Inspector

So basically you are creating the Bizzarro world waves? ;)

In all seriousness, I'm game for whatever gets people the figures they want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:52 am 
Loose, Missing Package

I'm not really going to list my "wanted" packs because outside of say Booster and Beetle and Fire and Ice most anything else would be fine with me.

In the "Ask Mattel" thread I posted a list of requests if two packs are to be done again...

Jim_Abell wrote:
Not so much a question as a series of requests: If you guys do any DCUC two packs next year like last year's DCSH for Target, please, please, please include at least one new character in each pack (so that we don't get an overload like the Superman/Bizarro packs) and give any re-packed characters some sort of visual variation (like if the Batman from those sets had been colored black/gray instead of identical to the single). Also, please ship at least two new sets in each case release/revision instead of just one.

I don't really want anything difficult/expensive in the 2 packs, one character with a new head, belt and or cape and one that's a complete re-paint would be fine. Batgirl and Clark were the stars of last year's sets and those sets would have been so much better if the Superman and Batman had been visibly different from the singles (especially Superman since the same one was packed as a single and with Bizarro who was also the same as the single minus the accessory). The Superman/Bizarro set as it was was completely unnecessary -- why couldn't they have battle-damaged Superman, at least, to make the figure a little different? I think the 2 packs are a great place for a figure like Batwoman who would need a new head (a possibly a belt) on the Batgirl body, pack her with a Batman repaint of some sort. Red Tornado would be another good candidate for a repaint in these packs -- give us the red/purple version. The black/silver Supergirl would be another easy, straight repaint as would the Bizarro Supergirl from near the end of the Linda Danvers' run -- these might not be good choices for single packs, but would keep an "S" in the 2 packs. I don't think too many people would be upset if Two-Face were done up in the classic purple/orange suit with the green scarring or a brown Man-Bat. I know that there are development costs that go along with repaints from research, paint masters, paint masks, approvals and such but it's still much cheaper than a completely new figure and would make the value to the customer of another run of two packs so much better than the previous batch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:55 pm 
Prototype

I think two-packs are a great way to get characters like Alfred, Gordon, Lois, Jimmy, etc. into this line. They probably wouldn't be released as singles.

Post subject: Re: DCUC 2-packs: How would you like them?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:36 pm 
Cold-cast

T Rath wrote:
While I think there are many logical two-packs - Booster Gold & Blue Beetle - not many reasonable ones that could sell well at mass market.

Dude, if people will buy Red Tornado to complete a Metamorpho BAF, they'll buy anybody.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:15 am 
PVC

This would be a good way for us to get figures like Lex in a suit. Use Lex head with a Two-Face body, and pack him alongside one of the superman variations.

Last edited by MrTheFrog on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:15 am 
Killer Mothman

I whole heartedly endorse the "buy one repaint to get a brand new figure"

Let me put in my vote for a 2 pack of a repainted 4 Horsemen Batgirl (Babs in her first appearance black costume) and a classic Killer Moth.

However, I don't know how economically viable it is as I do not work for Mattel. Or Hasbro for that matter.

Post subject: Re: DCUC 2-packs: How would you like them?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 am 
Former King of Posts

mako wrote:
Dude, if people will buy Red Tornado to complete a Metamorpho BAF, they'll buy anybody.

unfortunately, metamorpho is the only character I am interetsed in out of the first wave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:52 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

No love for Reddy?!?! He gave his arm for you ungrateful fans! :P

Last edited by Philly-Phil on Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm 
Prototype

Philly-Phil wrote:
No love for Reddy?!?! He gave his arm for you ungreatful fans! :P

I don't understand that. What's wrong with Red Tornado? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:19 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

What about secret ID 2-packs? Supes/Clark Kent, Bats/Bruce Wayne, Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, etc. I'd hate to buy duplicates, but that might be the only way to get figures like these.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 am 
Loose, Missing Package

The Superfly wrote:
What about secret ID 2-packs? Supes/Clark Kent, Bats/Bruce Wayne, Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, etc. I'd hate to buy duplicates, but that might be the only way to get figures like these.

Well, the Clark/Supes 2-pack seemed to be the second best seller of the three that Target got last year ( :wink: ), so it seems like there could be a pretty good arguement for that sort of thing, but they'd still need to come up with a few more "civilian-type" bodies/body parts to really make it work. The Two-Face body with a new head and a new new "tuxedo" chest would work well for Bruce, but what look would you go for with Hal? Flight suit? Turtleneck with suit? Never read a lot of GL stories where he spent any time as a civilian, the only looks I remember are turtleneck with suit at a dinner party Carol was throwing and getting out of the shower with towel around the waist before he slipped and knocked himself out and the ring went to find John. Mind you, I would be all for an Ollie in turtleneck, though! Thing is, I wouldn't want any straight re-packs of the hero identity, and I'm sure a lot of others would feel the same way, so what could be done to make the heroes different enough to make us want them, too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:08 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

maybe slight alterations to the existing heroes, like Superman or Batman 1Million, or new heads like a long-hair Superman or Batman with the cowl around his neck (similar to the ML Face-Off figures). Or maybe even a 2-pack with that Batman and a Superman/Clark with the open shirt and Superman suit underneath.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I want atleast one well-known character and then one fan-pleaser in our packs. A way to get the less-popular one's we might not get in the normal lineups with the BAF's.

And if we get a character like Superman or Batman, make sure they're a good variant. :)

I'd be fine with:

Azbats and classic Nightwing (Or modern with better articulation)

Hunter Prey Superman and Mister Miracle (Or some other new god)

Battle 'damage' Batman and Black Mask

Ivy and Superman with green vines (Like The Batman)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:49 am 
Loose, Missing Package

JJ, I think we'll get Miracle on his own, but maybe another New God like Lightray in that 2 pack would work?... Otherwise, I like your suggestions!