Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:58 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

987 scott wrote:
this is a dcuc thread take that jlu stuff somewhere else :P

Mods, can we get a topic split? ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:05 pm 
my tummy itches

OK, as a rabid JLU fan, the hope of the line continuing after reading Toyguru's post made me go to walmart.com and use the customer service page to e-mail a polite and brief request for them to start carrying Justice League Unlimited again.

I know it's peeing in the wind, but at least I made the effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:06 pm 
Cold-cast

yeah cant believe no one has'nt tossed any bricks at me yet for the jlu comment :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:08 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Jim_Abell wrote:
He's not saying that the line hasn't been picked up (in fact the second sentance pretty much confirms that the line is continuing) but that they want to know exactly *WHAT* is being picked up before making any announcements.

Wait a second...so you're saying the line is not an 'all-or-nothing' pickup? They could have an assortment with a TNBA Bane, TNBA Scarecrow, STAS Green Lantern, JLU Devil Ray, and JLU Cheetah along side a TAS Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman...and the retailers could pass on all figures except the 'big three?'

I didn't think that was how that worked. It seems like it would have to be one (the whole line) or the other (selections based on character).

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:11 pm 
my tummy itches

marillion wrote:
How can ToyGuru say that "the line isn't dead" when it hasn't been picked up yet? If it's not picked up, then it's dead. If he knows it's going to be picked up, then news can be told.

As usual, I'm confused by the lack of information.

Peace,

Chip

Dude, are you kidding? He clearly said once he knows what retailers are buying, he will let us know. Learn some patience. And by the way, not sure what you do for a living, but some people aren't just allowed to post inside information from their company because people on a message board are curious to know what the answer is.

Give the guy a break - he is giving us info when he can.

Last edited by ChrisRoach on Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:11 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

987 scott wrote:
yeah cant believe no one has'nt tossed any bricks at me yet for the jlu comment :lol:

Well, you do have a point, the JLU topic has no business hijacking this thread that's why I asked for a thread split, it only makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

marillion wrote:
Jim_Abell wrote:
He's not saying that the line hasn't been picked up (in fact the second sentance pretty much confirms that the line is continuing) but that they want to know exactly *WHAT* is being picked up before making any announcements.

Wait a second...so you're saying the line is not an 'all-or-nothing' pickup? They could have an assortment with a TNBA Bane, TNBA Scarecrow, STAS Green Lantern, JLU Devil Ray, and JLU Cheetah along side a TAS Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman...and the retailers could pass on all figures except the 'big three?'

I didn't think that was how that worked. It seems like it would have to be one (the whole line) or the other (selections based on character).

That *could* be what's happening. I'm seeing it more as one of three possibilities...

First possibility is that it could be that the line will continue on as three packs and singles pretty much as it has if Target and TRU are the only major buyers but if Wal-Mart and the regional retailers buy into it heavy it could mean that the line would have the support to get a bunch of completely new sculpts and not just heads and repainted bodies.

Second possibility could be that TG and the team are pitching larger-scale characters in the 10 inch line like Giganta and Atom Smasher, maybe even Mxy in his battle armor but they don't want to tell us about it in case it doesn't happen considering how vocal the fans that want those two in their giant form can be...

Third possibility is that they could be pitching completely new concepts to the buyers, things like Hasbro's Web World -- two figures and some accessories/set pieces -- or two packs with a larger character like Grodd and a normal sized figure or a figure with a motorcycle (or horse) that isn't one piece...

For all I know it could be something completely different, but I think they're just waiting to tell us anything when *they* know the full story on what the retailers are willing to offer us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:52 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

ChrisRoach wrote:
Learn some patience.

Eight months with zero concrete info about JLU/DCAU and you're telling me to learn some patience? Give me a break.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:59 pm 
Prototype

marillion wrote:
ChrisRoach wrote:
Learn some patience.

Eight months with zero concrete info about JLU/DCAU and you're telling me to learn some patience? Give me a break.

Peace,

Chip

Yeah. I think we've had enough patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:19 pm 
active in the community

nightwing wrote:
Oh great. No JLU news. Goodbye.

Dang, man...JLU's been going for over 5 years, and the first wave of this line hasn't even hit yet...let the collectors of this line get a LITTLE love. And I know you could argue there have been the Superman & Batman waves, but still. I dig these and JLU about the same, so I'm all for JLU continuing, btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:35 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Jim_Abell wrote:
987 scott wrote:
this is a dcuc thread take that jlu stuff somewhere else :P

Mods, can we get a topic split? ;-)

Done.

Mike
(Now, folks, feel free to broogle as much as you want, but please play nice and be respectful of one another. The last thing we wanna do is lock up another thread.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Just wanna add my two cents here ...

I really don't think the JLU line is being cancelled. I know it's being worked on. I know that it's going to be re-branded.

Less than three months ago, at SDCC, I spoke with one of the Mattel's JLU designers and he was very, very excited about the fact that Mattel can now produce a Captain Marvel figure in the line. And he was also hopeful about Captain Atom and the Question. Now, why would he be that excited if the line's going to be cancelled? That doesn't make any sense.

I think that Mattel's waiting on final approval from WBCP before they give us news about the line. Remember, it's not just the retailers that are involved in the mix. There's a third party, and that's Warner Brothers Consumer Products. And they're a tough bunch to work with.

In fairness, it isn't just Mattel that's being tight lipped these days. It's really hard to get information out of Hasbro about the Marvel brand. It's funny, because from what I understand, the Hasbro reps are very forthcoming with information about G.I. Joe and Transformers, but trying to find out what their 2008 plans are for Marvel Legends is like pulling teeth. At SDCC, they denied that there's a Hulk based Fin Fang Foom BAF wave in the works, even though we've seen pictures of it online. A typical converstaion between myself and one of Marvel's Hasbro reps went like this: "So, there's going to be an Iron Man movie next year. Will there be toys, and if so, what scale?" "Oh, I'm sorry. That's 2008. We can't talk about that." "I see. So, about the Fin Fang Foom BAF assortment ..." "We can't talk about 2008. Sorry." "But there were pictures posted online ..." "We can't discuss that. Sorry." "Okay, let me put it to you like this: Hypothetically speaking, if you were going to produce figures based on the new Iron Man movie, would they be 5" or 6"?" "Hypothetically speaking, you're talking about 2008, and we can't discuss that. Sorry."

I think the reason Hasbro was so tight lipped is because of Marvel. Marvel wants to approve everything before Hasbro's allowed to show it to us. Those Hulk pics that got leaked cost two good people their jobs. Leaked information, while it might be fun for us, can get people who work for the toy companies in a lot of trouble. Hasbro and Mattel are trying to clamp down on the leaks. That's why I'm expecting zero information from the Fall Toy Fair. I doubt if anyone will be able to sneak in there with a camera phone and get pics. I don't think it's gonna happen.

I know that there's been a lot of useless and idiotic Mattel bashing on this board for the past several months (This moronic thread right here being a prime example) and I know they've made a few questionable decisions lately (White Man-Bat being one of them) but not everything is their fault. And I will argue with anyone who says that they don't care about the fans. That's simply not true. I know they listen and I know they care. Look at the new head sculpt on Firestorm if you want proof.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject: TOYGURU IS GOD
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:52 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Thank you for the positive response TG!! I am "virtually" worshipping at your feet right now.

ALL HAIL THE GURU!

JLU LIVES!!!

HAZZZZAH!

Double D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:42 pm 
ABS

Sorry, but Mattel has already used up the last or my good faith. Until I can walk into my local store and buy new product I'm treating the line as dead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:09 pm 
Santos L. Halper

hmmmm.... I will remain cautiously optimistic on this news. I will also say that it makes perfect sense that you wait until the distributors place orders for the product before you show off your wares to the public. I would not however start speculating wildly about deluxe figures, vehicles or anything else of the sort. The JLU line will probably expand to include some fun new characters, but I just don't see some sweeping new format taking over.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next