Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:02 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Why does no one else see this but me?

#1 - It was said that nothing will be announced until the line gets picked up.

#2 - They said the figures are coming out regardless.

#3 - The line won't need to get picked up for the figures to come out.

#4 - Nothing was announced.

Contradictory statements, there.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:03 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Glad to finally get some answers. I love the positive feel of this over the really negative cloud that has been over JLU. The fact that they said they would still produce the figures even without being picked up is a great boost to the fans morale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:10 pm 
categorically opposed

marillion wrote:

They want to know exactly what they have to announce before they announce it.

I swear, the negativity that surrounds JLU is mind-boggling. And when they do announce the characters, there will be people bitching about which characters are getting made.

And then people not in the US will complain that the figures aren't available overseas if they're offered from some outlet other than big box retailers.

And then people will complain about the pricepoint on a glorified custom figure.

This line has pretty much outdone anyone's expectations. If it's over, it's over. Let's suck it up like big boys and move on.

Oh, and just a reminder - Toy Guru has a commitment to Mattel before he has a commitment to us. It could very well be that they are limiting the info that he gives out. I know I'd rather follow the directions of the guys signing my paychecks than the idiot fanboys who are never satisfied with anything I say to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:13 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Great post, MoMoney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:20 pm 
Knows his stuff

MoMoney wrote:
marillion wrote:

I swear, the negativity that surrounds JLU is mind-boggling. And when they do announce the characters, there will be people bitching about which characters are getting made.

And then people not in the US will complain that the figures aren't available overseas if they're offered from some outlet other than big box retailers.

And then people will complain about the pricepoint on a glorified custom figure.

This line has pretty much outdone anyone's expectations. If it's over, it's over. Let's suck it up like big boys and move on.

Oh, and just a reminder - Toy Guru has a commitment to Mattel before he has a commitment to us. It could very well be that they are limiting the info that he gives out. I know I'd rather follow the directions of the guys signing my paychecks than the idiot fanboys who are never satisfied with anything I say to begin with.

Great Points thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

MoMoney wrote:

Errr...they already know. The figures were on display at the Fall Toy Fair. They said those figures are coming out regardless of them being picked up by the retailers.

Quote:

As long as there are new characters being made you'll hear no bitching from me.

Quote:
idiot fanboys who are never satisfied with anything I say to begin with.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood. Did you just call me an idiot fanboy?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm 
shirtless hugger

marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

Nope, no contradictions.

#1. Nothing will be announced until the line is picked up. Nothing has, so this is still right.
#2. Figures are coming out regardless. Let's include the rest of that: the figures may have to come through online stores or conventions if the line isn't picked up, but the figures will come out. There's a difference between eventual release and a line being picked up.
#3. The line won't need to get picked up for the figures to come out, but that doesn't contradict the fact that Mattel wants this picked up before they release more info.
#4. Nothing was announced (indicating the line has yet to be picked up). Still no contradictions.

We can complain and come up with reasons (some legit, others just whining) why the lack of info isn't great, but Mattel hasn't lied to us. They just haven't told us if the line will be picked up, which I'm guessing has yet to happen. If it has, why wouldn't they just tell everyone and raise spirits?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:35 pm 
Prototype

marillion wrote:

Chip

I'm with you! I'll take ANY characters at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:44 pm 
PVC

I don't know about the rest of you, but those answers certainly put my mind at ease.

Here's the way I figure it - Mattel showed a bunch of figures, so:

If the line is picked up for retail, everything's golden - the figures will all come out and we can continue b!tching about how we can't find them ;0)

If the line is not picked up, not all the figures that were shown will come out - hence the need to not reveal character names.

So, in the latter case, *some* of the figures that were shown will end up coming out. I'm not going to guess who those characters might be, but for Mattel to develop a new way to get figures into our hands, they must consider them pretty important to the JLU collection.

I'm not sure why we're complaining here. We have information about the future of the line. Getting a list of the potential characters isn't something that we have any right to demand. The line will continue in one form or another. Mattel basically stated that whether or not the line continues at retail, there are more figures coming one way or another. That, to me, is good news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:53 pm 
categorically opposed

marillion wrote:
MoMoney wrote:

Errr...they already know. The figures were on display at the Fall Toy Fair. They said those figures are coming out regardless of them being picked up by the retailers.

They know what figures they've made. They want to know how they're going to come out before they say anything about them.

Quote:
Quote:

Well, that may be you, but they've said multiple times that there are things on the way - and I'd have to pretty much assume that these are new characters - yet there are some people with torches and a noose ready to crucify Mattel because they haven't sent everybody a list of which characters they're making and what color underwear they plan on wearing every other Tuesday.

Quote:
Quote:
idiot fanboys who are never satisfied with anything I say to begin with.

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood. Did you just call me an idiot fanboy?

After rereading my post, I don't recall seeing anyone specifically called an idiot fanboy. I see a blanket statement used that could describe anyone.

But I stand by it.

Seriously - how would you feel if you did something related to your job that you were by no means required to do only to be chewed out and ripped apart for not doing it like you're supposed to?

I'm heading to Los Angeles for vacation tomorrow morning for a week or so. I think I'll stop by Mattel's offices and read them the riot act. :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 pm 
Damage Control

Face it, the line out lasted itself. It's dead (according to my Walmarts/Targets). 08 is not a guarentee, it's a way of stringing you along giving you hope and then saying "we tried but retailers didn't want to pick it up so tough noogies, but hey, we are still your friends so come buy more DCSH Superman!". There may be a con exclusive but he'll pretty much be a repaint like a GL body with a Superman head and then stamped as Comic Con Hal. It'll be $20 and everyone will buy it. The End.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:49 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

stcardinal wrote:
Face it, the line out lasted itself. It's dead (according to my Walmarts/Targets). 08 is not a guarentee, it's a way of stringing you along giving you hope and then saying "we tried but retailers didn't want to pick it up so tough noogies, but hey, we are still your friends so come buy more DCSH Superman!". There may be a con exclusive but he'll pretty much be a repaint like a GL body with a Superman head and then stamped as Comic Con Hal. It'll be $20 and everyone will buy it. The End.

Um ... right.

Mike
(Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:23 pm 
5" Scale

MoMoney wrote:

Seriously - how would you feel if you did something related to your job that you were by no means required to do only to be chewed out and ripped apart for not doing it like you're supposed to?

I'm heading to Los Angeles for vacation tomorrow morning for a week or so. I think I'll stop by Mattel's offices and read them the riot act. :lol: :wink:

To add to MoMoney's excellent points, I think we take it for granted that Toy Guru was recently promoted to his current position with Mattel and as such, that makes his commitment and accountability to his company all the more important.

I do find the 10" figure comments a bit puzzling as Target, TRU and Rite Aid are supposedly big buyers. I've never seen them at Rite Aid. Target does not have any on the shelves and TRU only has the Supes/Bats exclusive 2 pack. Now if he meant that those 3 stores are buying them for next year, wouldn't it be likely that the same stores would pick up the 4 inch figures as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:51 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Chip, I think some of the delay in announcing characters could have a lot to do with *how* they're going to be released as much as *if* they're going to be released. I mean if big retail does continue with the line then it will probably be 3 packs and singles as it has been with a mix of old and new characters but if they go with an alternate method of release, say convention or store exclusive or mail-order there's a good chance that whatever would be released could be nothing but new characters since they would be marketing directly to us and wouldn't be factoring in the "mom" purchases that almost require "name" characters in the mix.

Fall Toy Fair has come and gone but the buyers will still be finalizing their orders for the next few weeks so until all of the large accounts have their orders as locked in as they get at this point we aren't going to hear anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 pm 
Santos L. Halper

if big box retailer pass on this line, then I would nor be surprised to see Diamond pick it up...they have numerous lines going right now.... How cool would an exclusive Jsa 3 pack be with mr terrific, dr midnight and hourman be? Or Jldetroit with vibe, steel and gypsy??? There are tons of incredible toys they could put out....

I say Diamond is the way to go!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next