Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:37 am 
PVC

For years now, I have been fantasizing about being able to get JLU figs online directly from Mattel. I'm tearing up just thinking about it ... sniffle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:28 am 
Damage Control

ONLINE!!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:02 am 
5" Scale

Definitely online...especially if it's by character (as opposed to ordering cases). Still, even then at least they'd be purchaseable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:42 am 
An Insider

they have been singing the tune of online only sales since the begining of MOTU back in 2001. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:07 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Online, direct from Mattel, and for all JLU fans worldwide. "I'll take one Mr. Terrific, two Parademons, and fifty-two Superman figures, please."

If not Mattel direct, then Diamond exclusive.

If not that, then convention exclusive. And I don't just mean the SDCC. I mean ALL major conventions around the world. All of the Wizard Worlds. The NYC con. Orlando, Baltimore, you name it.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:13 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Something for everyone to keep in mind, if Mattel were to take JLU to online sales/online only the cost is going to be considerably higher. Yes, it's a "budget line" because of the re-use of parts but online sales are going to mean smaller production runs and higher overhead than if these are going out to brick-n-morters. Honestly, I would expect a single to be around $10 if online sales happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:18 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Jim_Abell wrote:
Something for everyone to keep in mind, if Mattel were to take JLU to online sales/online only the cost is going to be considerably higher. Yes, it's a "budget line" because of the re-use of parts but online sales are going to mean smaller production runs and higher overhead than if these are going out to brick-n-morters. Honestly, I would expect a single to be around $10 if online sales happen.

Jim, don't try to talk sense. If you keep this secret now, then people will have something to really freak about later. Then there will be loads more ranting to keep this board active for months. :wink:

For the record, if the line dies, some online store (Mattel or another already established online dealer) is how I'd like to get them.

Davy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:32 am 
Loose, Missing Package

stonehd wrote:
Jim, don't try to talk sense.

Yeah,... not sure why I feel the need to make logical points...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:56 pm 
Hat Pooper

If it's the only way for the line to continue, then why wouldn't we be willing to pay a premium? The convention exclusives prove we'll pay extra for limited figures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:01 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Errr..if they made every character to appear in the DCAU available for $8-10 each, I'd definitely sign up!

We're paying $5 now at retail. Imagine direct from Mattel for $10. They'd only have to produce 1/3 of the figure quantity to make a profit.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:51 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

cowmuf wrote:
If it's the only way for the line to continue, then why wouldn't we be willing to pay a premium? The convention exclusives prove we'll pay extra for limited figures.

I have no problem with it provided all we would be getting were new characters, I was just anticipating the "outrage" if JLU were to become an online only line and the price doubled or tripled compared to what we've been paying at retail. In the long run it would be much cheaper compared to what many of us have been paying for gas and the time wasted hunting for toys this year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:34 pm 
Prototype

Hopefully we don't have to buy 20 Supermen and 10 Batman's to get a few new characters. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:33 pm 
Knows his stuff

I don't know about you but I haven't been able to find anything at retail(I got lucky a few weeks ago with Zatanna but she was the first one since Metamorpho and Copperhead!) I'm already paying around 10 plus shipping for them off of ebay. Not that I'm saying that I want the regular price to go up, but it's not like we aren't forced in that direction lately anyway. If the average price wen tup to 10 I'd probably drop the line. Also, I don't see BBTS jumping to take over the line with the fact that they've had cases supposed to show up for the last 4 months and haven't heard squat from Mattel, or so I'm told by their CS folks...oh well, at least I'm not spending any money at the moment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:26 pm 
my tummy itches

I would hope (and personally prefer) if they went online they would abandon the singles. Three packs with accessories and emphasis on new characters and I would have no problem paying a premium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:44 am 
shirtless hugger

I was going to make the "gas and time" point, Jim, but you beat me to it. Factoring in unsuccessful searches, which most of mine have been for over a year now, $10 per figure + shipping would significantly DECREASE my cost per figure. Particularly if I could buy an entire wave and have them shipped together. Not to mention reducing my frustration level. I'd do it in a heartbeat.