Aquaman
Founding member of the Superfriends
most popular to very young kids
King of 3/4 of the earth's surface
Commands all sea life
Swims faster than any of us could
has tough skin
has enhanced strength

but because someone noticed friends give him a lift to the water, never gets any respect.

The people we should be poking fun at are Robin and the Wonder Twins who always ended up being liabilities on the show.

Oh, if old-school Robin would have actually APPEARED in Cowmuf's diorama I would have been all over that. "Robin, wiggle your almost exposed teenage genitalia over to the mess that's left of Batman and clean it up! Then commandeer Aquaman's superfluous cape and cover-up your inappropriateness!"

I'll even cop to the fact Aquaman is the 2nd most useful person Supes brought with him (right behind the underutilized Dr. Fate who could probably turn Doomsday into a pile of socks if he felt like it). I was just poking a little fun at the mix of JLU'ers and their action poses that Cowmuf (no offense Cowmuf) chose to fight Doomsday and quoted the infamous The State Super-Friends sketch.

If it'll make you feel better I'll be harsher to the other Leaguers. "Sand, find a suitable lullaby to sing to the creature who once punched me to death while he drowsily pounds you into paste. Vigilante, get back on your bike and ride it into the 21st century to pick out a more effective weapon and motif! Bring Shining Knight with you and tell him to drop all the 'for art thou' crap! Steel, get off my sack and do something useful for once! Start by inventing a better Shaq film..."

If you wanna talk of the relative uselessness of the majority of the Super-Friends and LOD seanbaby.com wrote the book on that.

... I'll stop hijacking the thread now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:00 pm 
Hat Pooper

I thought it was pretty obvious what everyone in the diorama was doing.. Batman is diving out of the way of the car, Aquaman and Superman are trying to restrain Doomsday, while Canary stuns him with her scream and Steel attempts to take the police car away from him. Fate and Sand are both there to sedate him in their own ways, and Vigilante is doing crowd control.

Is there a reason Fate can't use his magic while touching Doomsday's back? Obviously magic isn't very effective on him, so it makes sense he'd need to be in close proximity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 pm 
ABS

cowmuf wrote:
I thought it was pretty obvious what everyone in the diorama was doing..

Yeah, but it was obvious to me that Steel is doing push ups on top of the police car :D

Just having a little fun... impressive screen captures by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:52 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Here's mine....

It's a MAISTO 1:18 KAWASAKI Die-Cast Motorcycle

I put it side-by-side with my still-MOC Vigilante... Hmmm. I think this will pass for the scale...

So, I opened it up for a closer view...

Vigilante is a bit big for the bike, but at this point, I need to find a way to make him ride it. So, with him standing beside the bike can make the illusion of him fitting just fine ON the bike...

I consulted the animated bike...

I summoned my customizing skill to work again for this one. (It has been months since I last made one!). I am a bit rusty on the sides. Bumbling some straight paint apps. Though I just hid it from being caught in the picture, :lol: ..

And the FINISHED PRODUCT...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:50 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Just for anyone who may be interested, Vig's bike in JLU is a 1941 (or sometime in the 40s, I'm guessing '41 since that was the year he first appeared in comics) Indian Chief. 'Course a real Indian isn't going to have the motor enclosed, but I'm sure that was a decision made to keep the animation simple. Not sure if anyone makes those in 1:16 scale, but I've been trying to track one down die-cast one in 1:12 with little luck, but they are available in 1:6...

http://www.indianchiefs4sale.com/1941chief.htm

...that was a mighty pricey/rare bike he sacrificed fighting Eiling...

Link to a red/white '46 that looks remarkably like Vig's...

http://www.indianchiefs4sale.com/1946chiefred.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:48 am 
Hat Pooper

The '46 is incredibly similar.. :shock:

Do you have an image of the bike he rode in the 40s comics?

Last edited by cowmuf on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:29 am 
Damage Control

Little Tykes put one out that looks very cartoonish as well as very close to the same scale as the Vig. It has a fat back tire so it can stand on its own. I was thinking of cutting a hole in the seat for the figure to stand in, the legs would be sculpted on the side much like the old TAUN TAUN of the SW ESB line. I did the same thing for my Winged Victory horse custom, its not bad, aint great, but no hacking apart of the figure. I think they should have made the other JLU bike lines that way but thats behind us now, the vig would have been a natural choice, guess they missed the boat on that one with the JLU bike line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:24 am 
shirtless hugger

Tristan, I bought the Little Tykes bike too -- It's a very good scale and good animated styling. The Maisto ones are a little too detailed, in addition to the scale. I wondered about cutting a hole, too. I'm still toying with it -- the one that looks the most like a Harley is black and white, and I'm wondering about repainting it.

Anyway, they are readily available at Big Lots, and they're not expensive, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:41 pm 
Damage Control

Can one of y'all point us to a photo of this Little Tyke bike? I'd like to see it.

Merci.

C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:04 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

cowmuf wrote:
The '46 is incredibly similar.. :shock:

Do you have an image of the bike he rode in the 40s comics?

Sorry, don't have anything from the comics... As for the '46 looking similar I think the paint job is what does it as the '46 looks almost identical to the '41 to me and considering most manufacturers of the time were reverting back to the lines they halted when production switched to WWII supplies it makes sense that the bikes would be almost the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:07 pm 
Damage Control

Ill post one tomorrow Casimir. I found them in the dollar stores and kb outlets near the preschool stuff. Its fat as in wide but has a good cartoon look. hte back tire if about and inch wide but from the side, it looks like a good fit for the Vig. The engine is molded in a clear plastic-fx reasons? but it has a singular headlight, fat seat and two exhaust pipes on the right side as well as a license plate mounted on the softtail covering the fat well. the gas tank is also wide and the front has a fender cover and the front wheel is about 1/2 the size of the rear wheel. Hope it helps.

Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:07 am 
shirtless hugger

I can take a photo if Tristan doesn't make it, but it won't be until tonight. I do agree that it's a better fit in scale and styling. Looks very cartoony. There are three or so different models.

Tristan, I think the transparent engine may have been intended to show a "sparking" action, but one was never installed. Just a guess, though.

Edit: Stopped at Big Lots at lunch. Yes, they are labelled "sparking action." I had thrown away my packaging. Try as I might, I can't get one to spark, though. Maybe it's me.

Second edit: Dang, it's hard to find a picture of this thing. You can see all four models here

http://www.adventuretoys.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=727

Price is $3 at Big Lots. The one most like Vig's (IMO) is the black and white one in the upper left corner. This doesn't give much sense of scale, though. I'll take a picture next to Vig tonight. I bought a second today to explore disassembling it. It's held together by 4 Phillips screws, plus glue probably. I'm curious to see if I can crack it open and remove the inner workings. Like Tristan, I think it might be possible to create a hole in the saddle, add some Vigilante legs to the outside, and pop your figure into the hole when you want him to be riding. Also, if it's in pieces it would be easier to paint it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 pm 
shirtless hugger

Okay, Casimir, here we go. The Little Tikes motorcycle with Vigilante:

It'll take some work, but I think it could be an interesting piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:26 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

That bike looks pretty good. Big project indeed.

I remember someone (Casmir?) customizing the old STAS Metallo so that he had straight legs. Seems like you could almost swap out the legs on these figs and make them both better (Vig could have legs that wrap around a bike and Metallo could stand up without looking like he has rickets).

Too bad that Metallo is so htf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:50 pm 
Damage Control

Hmmmm..... Yeah, I think that could work. I see a stop at Big Lots in my future. Thanks for the tip, fellas!

And Arsenio, I did swap those legs on Metallo. Using his old legs (or maybe J-Man's) might just work for Vig on the bike. Good idea!

C.