Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 10.17.07 Mattel Answers Commentary Thread
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:03 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Here we go. ;)

Quote:
Mattel is working on new JLU figures and we will be presenting new JLU figures at Toy Fair this October. We can’t announce any new toys for any line until we know for certain they will be available at retail. I can also tell you that if JLU is not picked up at retail for 2008 we are STILL going to find a way to get them to fans. (Whether that is through conventions, online sales, or something else - perhaps that we are working on in secret - is yet to be determined). We just don’t want to reveal anything until there is something to reveal.

If they're going to find their way into the fans' hands regardless, then why not reveal at least the names of the characters? This makes no sense. If you're truly committed to getting them out, then there's no hiding behind "we can't reveal them until they get picked up" excuse.

Quote:
If or when we do Amanda or the General we would do them as individual figures. And we already have a history of doing larger characters such as Doomsday, Grundy or Grodd in the JLU line.

Interesting, but I'm still not holding my breath for Waller.

Quote:
Toy Guru has been reorganizing out 2008 case packs to offer some of the harder to find 2007 figures right now. If all goes well, the first half of 2008 should be helping fans fill in the gaps in their collection. The later half of 2008 will hopefully be all new figures. BUT anything can change. Like we have said, nothing is in stone until it is shipping to stores.

...and nothing's set in stone even if the stuff is shipping to stores. Sounds like an effort is being made, but we won't know until the case packouts are 'announced.' More promises of great things to come, so stay tuned! :roll:

Quote:
Apart from the upcoming Target JLU 6-Pack with Grodd that is coming are there any other unannounced exclusive sets coming in 2007 and early 2008?

I hate to say it, but that would be telling. We need to have some surprises to keep the fans guessing.

No, you don't. It's enough to have the 'fans guessing' if they'll ever find the product they want at retail.

Once again, I see promises with no hard concrete proof that anything is happening to make the line better, more available, or anything that addresses all the complaints we have.

Sorry to be so harsh, but enough with the stringing along. I'm starting to think ToyGuru is one of my ex-girlfriends/fiancees.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:09 am 
shirtless hugger

Perhaps you should stop reading their answers, Chip. You're never satisified with the answers they give, so why set yourself up for disappointment? Mattel has never been very forthcoming about stuff that's not been announced, so why would that change?

Last edited by Ham Salad on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:12 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Ham Salad wrote:
Perhaps you should stop reading their answers, Chip. You're never satisified with the answers they give, so why set yourself up for disappointment? Mattel has never been very forthcoming about stuff that's not been announced, so why would that change?

Well, I need to do *something* to pass the time when I'm not at work or outside! :)

I was satisfied with the new characters that were shown at Toy Fair...I was satisfied when Grodd was announced. Hell, I was even satisfied with all the TRU exclusives as well as the Lava Doomsday set.

...and I'm damn satisfied about the whole DCUC line. Just awesome stuff!

See...??? :P

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:14 am 
shirtless hugger

The problem is that all of the changes they are talking about affect next year's line. And since they don't want to announce anything until they know for certain that the line is picked up, they can't offer anything concrete. You'll just have to wait until Mattel is ready to announce JLU's fate.

It sucks, but its the way it is right now. I'd love to know what we're getting next year, but short of having spies infiltrate Mattel's offices, I'll have to wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:27 am 
shirtless hugger

Thank you ToyGuru.

I was actually very pleased with his answers. This is the first time we were actually told flat out that the line might not get picked up for 2008. That's all i wanted was an honest answer. I was tired of hearing "wait and see" and now i know why we were told that. Of course i'm not happy JLU might not get picked up, but at least i know there is still a chance it will get picked up and that if it does get picked up the hard to find figures will be repacked for 2008. 2008 could be a very good or bad year depending on what happens. It's also nice to know that Mattel will try to get the unreleased figures out to us even if retail stores do not pick up the line. Thats actually caring about the fans and is all i wanted to hear. Thanks again. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:37 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

I think the answers from Mattel this time round are pretty positive if not totally revealing. They say they are working on new JLU figs as we speak, and are eager to get the line to fans regardless of wether or not it is picked up by the BIG RETAILERS! I think people should take a breather and look at the positives of these answers rather than getting worked up because they didn't get complete disclosure of the details being worked on at the momnet.
JLU or DCAU, which ever one it ends up continuing as, is dirt cheap to produce and sells well with good profit margins, so I doubt Mattel are going to happily let it die on the vine.

The biggest problem I see is not so much the lack of info on new characters, but rather the poor distribution. But I also think this will be amended from now on as the big summer movies are out the way, the over saturated product from them will begin to be cleared out and Mattel will get to start pushing DC product back out into stores.

If we dont stop bitching, even over good news like this, then Toy guru and Mattel will no doubt feel they can't win no matter what they do. Give them a break for once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 am 
my tummy itches

Quote:
Toy Guru has been reorganizing out 2008 case packs to offer some of the harder to find 2007 figures right now. If all goes well, the first half of 2008 should be helping fans fill in the gaps in their collection. The later half of 2008 will hopefully be all new figures. BUT anything can change. Like we have said, nothing is in stone until it is shipping to stores.

This is good news (I think). But what stores will carry these?
-Target
-TRU
-KMart
-Sears (I assume to some degree)
-Mervins (west coast & ??)
-Others?

Does KB carry these anymore?

Maybe online shops can get these new case packs too.. then maybe, actually get their orders filled.

This might be the last JLU gasp, but here's hoping it plays out.

Last edited by geoffdude on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:00 am 
Collector Inspector

Well things sound positive, in my opinion at least. Hopefully we will see/hear something more concrete in the coming months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 am 
An Insider

Quote:

looks like, after Grodd, we'll be waiting another year for new stuff. hopefully some of that 'harder to find' figures of 2007 that are to show up in early 2008 also includes as of yet unreleased figures such as Fire, Ice, Mr. Miracle, etc.

It's really too bad, too, because I know a lot of us would like to give Mattel our cold hard cash now instead of one year from now. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:58 pm 
Prototype

That is awesome that even if the JLU line isn't picked up that Mattel will still find a way to release them to fans. The online store idea would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:13 pm 
serves the Otter

The pessimism about this line cracks me up. Eventually, I hope we get new JLU stuff. And when we do, I'll be excited. If we don't, good run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:21 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I'm kinda jazzed about the tidbit stating that even if the line is not picked up at retail(which would be a HUGE mistake on the retailers part, by the way) then Mattel will still try and get them out to us through some other means.

But waiting does suck. Royally :)

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:48 pm 
Hat Pooper

wait so, we aren't getting any new figures announced?

JLU Wishlist - Stargirl (taller), S.T.R.I.P.E., Gypsy, Johnny Thunder, Thunderbolt, The Creeper, Crimson Avenger, Dr. Mid-Nite, Two-Face (repaint), Batwoman, Killer Croc, Firefly, Poison Ivy, The Mad Hatter, The Riddler, Roxy Rocket, Scarface, Baby Doll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:41 pm 
Brand Manager

Well, I'm really happy with the answers we got.

Thanks Toy Guru :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:01 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Quinn wrote:
The pessimism about this line cracks me up. Eventually, I hope we get new JLU stuff. And when we do, I'll be excited. If we don't, good run.

That's how I'm feeling.

You know, at this point I'm just glad this question was asked and acknowledged:

Guru wrote:
Q3: Do you think we will have a chance at many of the current harder to find JLU figures such as Stargirl, Blue Devil, Obsidian, Big Barda, and Deadshot (among others) will appear again as stores start resetting for the holidays? Do the orders support the possibility of still being able to find these figures at retail in the coming months?