Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:32 am 
Joint Unfreezer

I just want to see a Wonder Woman figure come from Mattel! I'd like them also to explore their options to get us the JLU figures they've been hinting around about getting out to the collectors. A Cheetah would be nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:54 am 
3 3/4"

Im going with DCU.now dont get me wrong I LOVE JLU and I always look forward to the next new batch of characters........

but having a comic style DC collection that could rival my ML collection just excites the crap outta me.

and Chip if Mattel dont add Mr Miracle before JLU ends I will be extremely upset-so lets hope it does continue in 08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:11 am 
Knows his stuff

I have a few JLU figured but decided not to collect them. I didn't like the sculpts and their inability to stand up. I'm excited about the DCUC figures, but I want to see them up close and personal before I jump into collecting a new line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:40 am 
Prototype

I choose DC Universe. Like most of you I've given up on the JLU figures continuing. As a matter of fact I have bought customs of some of the characters I wanted that Mattel hasn't/didn't get to. The Batman and Superfriends are awesome lines as well and I collect both of them as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:13 pm 
3 3/4"

yeah I have gained new excitement about "The Batman" line and if Superfriends gives us half the characters Spidey and Friends did Ill be golden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:46 pm 
An Insider

two words: four horsemen :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:02 am 
ABS

I'm so excited for DCUC! I've got the first set on pre-order and can't wait to get them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:47 am 
PVC

cowmuf wrote:
I think I'd like DCUC a lot more if the figures were based on the designs of a single artist (like Lee or Cooke), but the need to make them look as generic as possible leaves them with no soul.

Yeah, which is the same route that was taken in designing the Super Powers line, and we all know how universally hated those generic figures were. :lol:

Sorry, just had to give you a hard time.
Wakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:55 am 
Hat Pooper

1) It's not 1984.

2) Kirby and Perez designed many of the Super Powers figures, and the rest were based on designs by Garcia-Lopez (the DC style guides) and Giordano. Hardly generic.

The uniform style of Super Powers mirrors the JLU line, which I'm sure has a lot to do with why the two lines are compared so often. But 'uniform' isn't the same as 'generic', since both lines were designed by or based on designs of great superhero artists.

You really can't compare DCUC and Super Powers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:13 am 
PVC

cowmuf wrote:
1) It's not 1984.

2) Kirby and Perez designed many of the Super Powers figures, and the rest were based on designs by Garcia-Lopez (the DC style guides) and Giordano. Hardly generic.

The uniform style of Super Powers mirrors the JLU line, which I'm sure has a lot to do with why the two lines are compared so often. But 'uniform' isn't the same as 'generic', since both lines were designed by or based on designs of great superhero artists.

I hope you know I was just yanking your chain. Your points are all valid, but at the same time, I know a lot of people have commented that the designs of the Super Powers figures were all very idealistic. That was my point. In my opinion, that's the exact same goal of the DCUC line, to sculpt each character in a very idealized format. You might see that as "generic," and that's fine, but I wouldn't want it any other way.

Wakko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:39 am 
Joint Unfreezer

cowmuf wrote:
1) It's not 1984.

You can't compare JLU either. Why because of character selection, and because there the same size? SP blows those Happy Meal toys out of the water.I have the whole SP collection and they don't look like anybodys certain style. Hell Supes looks more like Chris Reeves than any comic rendition. If your looking for artist specific figures neither of thes lines are for you,go to DCD and pick up some the crap they're putting out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:35 am 
Hat Pooper

JLU figures are artist specific to Bruce Timm (obviously), so that makes no sense. And Super Powers are artist specific to Perez, Kirby, etc, but uniform in the same way that DC had a uniform house-style at the time (with the company even going so far as to re-draw comics that conflicted with that style).

Please don't call JLU "happy meal toys", it's just childish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:56 am 
Joint Unfreezer

cowmuf wrote:
JLU figures are artist specific to Bruce Timm (obviously), so that makes no sense. And Super Powers are artist specific to Perez, Kirby, etc, but uniform in the same way that DC had a uniform house-style at the time (with the company even going so far as to re-draw comics that conflicted with that style).

Please don't call JLU "happy meal toys", it's just childish.

JLU toys are Happy Meal toys compared to lines like ML and DCUC,and I meant comic artist,has Bruce Timm worked on comics? Super powers resembles certain artist just like DCSH Darkseid looks Kirby influenced. They are not artist specific. I like JLU and DCUC but DCUC wins out for me. All the JLU fans get all pissy because DCUC is the line to talk about now. Most DC collectors believe this line is the answer to our prayers[as far as DC toys go]. DCUC has no soul,that's funny. DCUC like SP has sculptors that pull from different aspects of every artist that make the character great just like the 4h,they just put there own spin on it. if you like JLU that's great but don't negate DCUC or any other line because you like JLU more. I did it because that is what you and a couple other people chose to do . When the truth is that both lines have great potential and have different aspects that make them great in there own right. We are talking apples and oranges,they're both fruit they just taste different. Get what I'm saying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:47 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

cowmuf wrote:

Sure you can, and I do. DCUC is MUCH closer to SP than JLU. And what you refer to as "generic" many think of as "classic", a lot of people do not like artist specific characters. DCUC is capturing the classic feel of the characters while not restricting them to one particular style/artist/time. I like that interpretation, thanks.

With JLU, you figures that look like JLU characters. With most DCD figures you get figures that look like a particular artist's interpretations. DCUC offers a classic, yet non-restrictive approach to characters that hold their origins in the very fluid comic medium. It is very much like ML. Some people want that and welcome it. One line won't bump another and getting defensive about JLU doesn't seem productive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:50 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

ME AM ONLY EXCITED BY BIZARRO FIGURES!

AND TALKING CHIMPS RIDING GERMAN SHEPARDS