Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:17 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

marillion wrote:
Jim_Abell wrote:
Simple solution, Chip. Since you are so convinced that the line is dead, accept that concept as fact, ignore any and all posts from Mattel about them "working" on getting the line together, be pleasantly surprised when there is a concrete announcement or just go on with your day-to-day each day that there isn't.

So I'm not allowed to comment on the non-info and the sheep that blindly follow it? ;)

No. What I'm saying is that there's no point in getting worked up over "no news". If the retail buyers aren't interested then there is nothing we can do about it (other than request the item from them as TG has suggested) and the line is "dead". Thing is he keeps saying that they're working on the line which means to me that they are trying to find some concept or compromise to get the line back into stores with force but they just haven't gotten there yet. Maybe they never will, maybe they'll give up with retail and go DTC or a series of exclusives through Toy Fare or something else equally "out-of-the-box" for a huge corporation like Mattel. No matter how much we love the JLU if the bean counters aren't seeing profits (either at Mattel or the retailers) that match or exceed what they want to see there's nothing we can do about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:24 pm 
shirtless hugger

marillion wrote:
MoMoney wrote:
The news is that, in their minds, the line isn't over.

It doesn't matter what is 'in their minds.' It only matters with the big retailers.

Quote:
It is misconstrued that Mattel has no plans for JLU.
If the big box retailers don't pick up JLU or whatever it's called, that is out of Mattel's hands.

Which is why no other news matters, and is in fact not really 'news' at all. I'm not saying Mattel doesn't have 'plans' for it all...I'm saying that it doesn't matter if they do or not. We still, as of right now, are getting nothing in the future save for Miracle, Ice, Fire, and Grodd.

Peace,

Chip

What you're saying is that Mattel does have news... but you're going to ignore it until we hear that the line is picked up. What they plan to do is still news. If, for example, Bush Jr has plans to nuke Iran if he can get support from his top generals, it's still news.

Why not stop complaining about it so often? It gets old fast to hear the broken record moan about JLU over and over. On top of that, you tear down Mattel for including DCUC info instead of JLU. Why shouldn't they hype their next big line? Don't you want it to succeed? I mean, I don't remember where it was, but when Superfly reposted the DCUC polls you complained that all the polls did was cover up a lack of JLU news. Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Reminder: Your frustration should be directed at retailers, not Mattel. I f the retailers step it up, Mattel is obviously ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:25 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Arrakhat wrote:
What you're saying is that Mattel does have news... but you're going to ignore it until we hear that the line is picked up. What they plan to do is still news. If, for example, Bush Jr has plans to nuke Iran if he can get support from his top generals, it's still news.

Why not stop complaining about it so often? It gets old fast to hear the broken record moan about JLU over and over. On top of that, you tear down Mattel for including DCUC info instead of JLU. Why shouldn't they hype their next big line? Don't you want it to succeed? I mean, I don't remember where it was, but when Superfly reposted the DCUC polls you complained that all the polls did was cover up a lack of JLU news. Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Reminder: Your frustration should be directed at retailers, not Mattel. I f the retailers step it up, Mattel is obviously ready to go.

Indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:44 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Arrakhat wrote:
What you're saying is that Mattel does have news... but you're going to ignore it until we hear that the line is picked up. What they plan to do is still news.

No, it's not, because we *know* all that already. They've said the same things for the last 6 months. It's not NEWs.

Quote:
Why not stop complaining about it so often? It gets old fast to hear the broken record moan about JLU over and over.

Oh, you mean like "stay tuned?"

Quote:
On top of that, you tear down Mattel for including DCUC info instead of JLU. Why shouldn't they hype their next big line? Don't you want it to succeed?

I do. Why isn't DCAU the 'next big line?'

Quote:
I mean, I don't remember where it was, but when Superfly reposted the DCUC polls you complained that all the polls did was cover up a lack of JLU news. Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Am I not allowed to? BTW, I haven't actually done that, but am I not allowed to?

Quote:

Oh, I certainly am. I'm also aware that Mattel's direction to 'tell the retailers' does not work and is a dead end. I'm not mad at Mattel...just don't tell us anything unless there's something concrete to tell.

Peace,

Chip

Last edited by marillion on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:36 pm 
Factory Worker

marillion wrote:
Why does no one else see that? Where's Caped Crusader when ya need him? Chime in and back me up, man!

I'm not saying Mattel is not making an effort, especially in fan interaction. I'm not saying their intentions aren't great, or that ToyGuru as a fan isn't the best option in that position to make the line what we want. However, unless Wal-Mart & Target are on-board we will get nothing. So, I'd rather hear nothing at all until that can be announced either 'yea' or 'nay.' Everything else said about the DCAU line is just regurgitation of stuff we already know.

Peace,

Chip

i agree with you marillion, but i think its a littel too late for mattel to do anything about JLU, i HOPE that it does get picked up by the retailers but when mattel didnt step in last time and fix the case pack ratios, they screwed up BIG time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 pm 
categorically opposed

marillion wrote:
Oh, I certainly am. I'm also aware that Mattel's direction to 'tell the retailers' does not work and is a dead end. I'm not mad at Mattel...just don't tell us anything unless there's something concrete to tell.

And when they go silent on JLU for a few weeks/months while talking about DCUC, then the complaints start about why we haven't heard anything.

DCAU/JLU is not the next big line because it's not. JLU already has over 70 unique figures. DCSH has finally gotten the greenlight to produce more than Batman and Superman. It's the counterpart to Marvel Legends. It's been something that DC fans have been waiting for for years - a generic, comic-accurate line of DC toys that are all in the same scale.

And why are we blind sheep? We're not saying that JLU/DCAU is definitely continuing - we're saying that Mattel is working on getting it to continue. If the retailers don't want it - and talking to them is such a dead end - then there's not much we can do about it, and all the sarcasm in the world isn't going to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:58 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Chip, c'mere man - you need a big ol' shirtless hug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:32 pm 
active in the community

uhhh, I just went back and read the entire interview and for the exclusives at the Cons, no where did it state anything about an exclusive being DCAU or JLU, whatever you want to call them, it stated

Oh, and here is a little nugget for everyone. At least one of our Comic Con figures for 2008 will be a female. Just which line and which figure will be announced in the coming months….stay tuned

here's the way I see things, hopefully the DCUC will sell great at retail and then the retailers will see this and hopefully open the door for more dc properties from Mattel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:58 am 
serves the Otter

darkknight41 wrote:
uhhh, I just went back and read the entire interview and for the exclusives at the Cons, no where did it state anything about an exclusive being DCAU or JLU, whatever you want to call them, it stated

They didn't...I think we're all just hoping for a JLU Waller-or-Giganta.

However, with the lack of DCUC women in the first three waves (with only two or three more for '08) a female hero or villain exclusive for that line would be great too. A DCUC Giganta exclusive is probably more likely than getting one in the actual line of action figures the way things are going...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 am 
Prototype

Maybe the female figure is a Wonder Woman figure for the Superfriends line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:00 am 
serves the Otter

riddler2403 wrote:
Maybe the female figure is a Wonder Woman figure for the Superfriends line.

Someone suggested that earlier...and although I think it's a great way to get that character into the line, I don't know if there are enough adult collectors picking up up the Superfriends line to be much of a draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

MoMoney wrote:
And when they go silent on JLU for a few weeks/months while talking about DCUC, then the complaints start about why we haven't heard anything.

I guess I have a problem with the 'spin' on the info. I'd rather hear "We've pitched the line 2 different ways so far, but retailers have passed. We're working on another way to present it at retail." than "Wow, wait until you see what we have coming! Everyone will be happy! All problems will be fixed! Stay tuned!" because they say that EVERY time.

Quote:
DCAU/JLU is not the next big line because it's not. JLU already has over 70 unique figures.

Yeah, so why not 250 unique figures? Hell, the 25th anniversary Joe's are already over halfway there and don't tell me Joe's world is more popular than Superman & Batman's.

Quote:
And why are we blind sheep? We're not saying that JLU/DCAU is definitely continuing - we're saying that Mattel is working on getting it to continue. If the retailers don't want it - and talking to them is such a dead end - then there's not much we can do about it, and all the sarcasm in the world isn't going to help.

I'm just speaking of the reactions to what is said by Mattel without actually thinking about what they're truly saying. All they've said for the last 6 months is how great things are going to be, and they say it in several different ways without saying anything about things that actually matter...like how they're pitching it to retailers and who's passing on it. However, it's not news to 'stay tuned,' and people get all excited like the status of the line has actually changed.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:18 am 
categorically opposed

What makes you think we're privy to information about what they're presenting and who is passing on it?

We don't sit in on their meetings. We have no business knowing that. There are a few crazies that have been on here in the past (*cough*rougesgallery*cough*) that would probably go to Wal-Mart (if it was Wal-Mart that passed on the line) with a bomb strapped to their bodies just to blow the place up out of anger.

Information about who is passing on Mattel's presentations and what the presentations consist of are really moot - if they said that they presented an all-villains line to Wal-Mart and listed Cheetah, Dr. Destiny, the Key, Atomic Skull, and Toyman as the first lineup, what would it matter if the line wasn't happening? Sounds suspiciously like what they're saying about "Legion of Superheroes" - the line was announced, not picked up, and then Mattel has egg on their face for showing a product and promising a line that will never see the light of day.

Bottom line - if you want all the inside info that a company has, you should probably get a job with the company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:06 am 
shirtless hugger

marillion wrote:
Arrakhat wrote:
What you're saying is that Mattel does have news... but you're going to ignore it until we hear that the line is picked up. What they plan to do is still news.

No, it's not, because we *know* all that already. They've said the same things for the last 6 months. It's not NEWs.

They've declared for the past 6 months that Blackhawk is a character they want to make? And no, just seeing Blackhawk on the Mattel presentation with all the others didn't convince me, the had Charlton characters there too.

Quote:
Quote:
Why not stop complaining about it so often? It gets old fast to hear the broken record moan about JLU over and over.

Oh, you mean like "stay tuned?"

Well it's either that, or they include nothing. Either way, people like you broogle up a storm.

Quote:
Quote:
On top of that, you tear down Mattel for including DCUC info instead of JLU. Why shouldn't they hype their next big line? Don't you want it to succeed?

I do. Why isn't DCAU the 'next big line?'

Because it is based on a TV show that is nearly 3 YEARS DEAD. And most of the JLU run was aired late at night or on a shifting time schedule. Do you really think that most kids were able to follow the show that long at those late night showings?

Quote:
Quote:
I mean, I don't remember where it was, but when Superfly reposted the DCUC polls you complained that all the polls did was cover up a lack of JLU news. Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Am I not allowed to? BTW, I haven't actually done that, but am I not allowed to?

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/foru ... php?t=9578

For those who don't like links:

[quote=marillion]Well? All this DCUC crap is masking the lack of solid info on the pulse (or lack thereof) of the DCAU line.

Peace,

Chip[/quote=marillion]
Yeah, Chip, you sure never complained. You made an entire thread just to complai, so at least admit that. And of course you're allowed to... but that's why you're becoming a broken record. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to positively contribute to the boards. You've had so many posts in the past insulting Mattel for their lack of info and the fans for sticking with the line. I believed you called those fans "sheep."

Quote:
Quote:

Peace,

Chip

Telling your local retailers helps, or didn't you read the interview? And if you still believe it has no effect (and you may very well be right, who knows?) then don't do it. No skin off your nose.

Chip, make up your mind: Do you want no JLU news, or the tentative reassurances that they can give us for now? Though I know you would rather have "real" news, that isn't possible right now. So tell me, which would you rather have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:05 am 
Knows his stuff

Chip, here is what I posted back on June 17, which pertains to your whole point. Which I agree with by the way.

" Not to rain on everyone's parade. But even though Mattel may plan on making better case ratios, and shipping more product for '08, this may be like closing the barn gate after the horse has left.

If old product has been hanging on the pegs for months to a year, and over-all sales of a brand are down, then most stores stop stocking the product, and will eventually not carry the line at all. This has started to happen with Wal-Mart and the JLU line. (I know Wally's have never been a great supporter of the line, but now many of the stores carry nothing JLU).

So my point and concern is that many of these stores may not desire to carry these lines after this poor year of sales. Factor in the need for new product lines for the x-mas season (stores want the hottest toys to drive traffic) and it looks even more bleak. I hope I'm wrong, as I love both lines, but having product, and not selling it, seems like shooting yourself in the foot.

By the way, thanks BW for posting here, we appreciate it.

Regards,

Geoff "

marillion wrote:
zaxilla2 wrote:
It's good to hear SOMEthing about JLU even if it isn't that concrete. just have to be really, reeeeeeally patient.

How can you say that? We just heard *nothing* about JLU. Nothing at all.

Unless the line gets picked up, there is NO news.

They could say "We have turnarounds for every character that appeared in the DCAU shows and comics, and plan on releasing them all. We also secured the rights for Shazam and the Charlton characters, and have worked out the issues WB/DC has with Lobo and Hal Jordan. We plan making two-packs as well as three-packs and singles, and plan on having them at every major retailer and online shop in evenly-packed cases."

Then Wal-Mart, Target and TRU all pass on the line and all the plans are thrown in the trash.

Unless the line gets picked up, there is NO news.

There, I said it again. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next