Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:19 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Arrakhat wrote:
Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Quote:
Yeah, Chip, you sure never complained.

Not "every time" as you accused. I did it once.

Quote:
Telling your local retailers helps, or didn't you read the interview? And if you still believe it has no effect (and you may very well be right, who knows?) then don't do it. No skin off your nose.

I've done it in the past...it made no difference. I don't do it anymore. Consensus is that it has zero effect due to most people's experiences.

Quote:
Though I know you would rather have "real" news, that isn't possible right now. So tell me, which would you rather have?

You answered your question for me. I want real news, i.e. updates on how they're trying to get the retailers to buy the line. No other so-called 'news' matters now, and that was my point to begin with.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:36 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Chip has every right to be as upset as he is. Especially because he is correct.

When you really read between the lines, Chip has a point. "Real" news hasn't been given to us in a long while regarding the JLU line. The DC Classics line is geting all kinds of coverage, but not so for the JLU line.

Regarding the JLU line, I've gone from "not worried", to "WTF?", to "extremely worried", to "releived", and now I'm back to "worried".

Real news or info would be direct answers with no hint of this finger-crossing, wistful optimism that seems to be the Mattel credo for the JLU. ToyGuru might be a huge fan of the line, and I do beleive that he is trying as hard as he can to get the JLU lineup back into retail outlets. I trust him.

I do not trust Mattel any longer. Not as far as JLU is concerned. Chip is right.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:31 pm 
shirtless hugger

marillion wrote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Are you so bitter about the lack of JLU news that every time Mattel (or someone on the boards) talks about DCUC you need to complain about it?

Quote:
Yeah, Chip, you sure never complained.

Not "every time" as you accused. I did it once.

Cutting out the most relevant parts of my post to make a point? Honestly Chip, when you're wrong, you're wrong. I blamed you for making a complaint about the polls, which you denied. Do I really need to go back through all of your numerous posts and pulls up your other complaints on the board to back this up? The every time was a hypothetical question. Key word there being HYPOTHETICAL.

And obviously every time was an exaggeration. Are you so stubborn that you're going to refuse to admit that you bitched about the DCUC polls for no good reason?

Quote:
Quote:
Telling your local retailers helps, or didn't you read the interview? And if you still believe it has no effect (and you may very well be right, who knows?) then don't do it. No skin off your nose.

I've done it in the past...it made no difference. I don't do it anymore. Consensus is that it has zero effect due to most people's experiences.

Whose consensus? Yours? If I missed some thread where people discussed how they told their retailers and it failed, please direct me there. I'd hate to stick my foot in my mouth because I missed one thread like that. As it is, I only have your word on this.

Quote:
Quote:
Though I know you would rather have "real" news, that isn't possible right now. So tell me, which would you rather have?

You answered your question for me. I want real news, i.e. updates on how they're trying to get the retailers to buy the line. No other so-called 'news' matters now, and that was my point to begin with.

Peace,

Chip

No, I didn't answer my own question. My question was:

"Do you want no JLU news, or the tentative reassurances that they can give us for now?"

Once again, you are purposely ignoring the key parts of my posts. Go ahead though, answer the question. I didn't give you an option C, and in fact, I told you there wasn't a possible option C. So tell me, would you rather have no news or the vague reassurances? That's all we can get right now, so which one (of the two, so you don't ignore it again) would you rather have?

Until the line gets picked up, we can't get any of the "real" news. Obviously it hasn't or Mattel would rush to reassure fans. Thus, the lack of "real" news (which is still merely Chip's definition of real news) can't happen right now. This isn't Mattel fault, and the constnt complaints don't serve to convince the retailers to pick up the line, so just what is the purpose of these complaints? Expressing yourself is one of the rights of the board, but if I went and kept on complaining about the lack of The Batman news, it would grate on everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:20 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Howard the Duck wrote:
I do not trust Mattel any longer. Not as far as JLU is concerned. Chip is right.

If I recall, didn't Chip dump out of the JLU line several months back, whether financial reasons or not- he chose not to support the line.. So I agree with the comments above. Chip is the first to complain and bash every time-about the JLU line- a line he no longer collects, he may choose to get back into it, by why should Mattel care what a collector thinks if he no longer is collecting the line he is complaing about.

If Chip did not dump out of this line-- I am entirely wrong and I retract my comments,but otherwise I stand by them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:11 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I think that next year there´s going to be a The Batman exclusive, maybe tne female is going to be Harley Quinn, the same way Catwoman was some years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:00 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

darkknight41 wrote:
uhhh, I just went back and read the entire interview and for the exclusives at the Cons, no where did it state anything about an exclusive being DCAU or JLU, whatever you want to call them, it stated

Oh, and here is a little nugget for everyone. At least one of our Comic Con figures for 2008 will be a female. Just which line and which figure will be announced in the coming months….stay tuned

I noticed that when I first read it... At this point I'm hoping that *EVERY* con exclusive they have planned is a female now because all of the speculation that's going on is going to piss-off everyone who isn't right or who's line isn't represented. I have high hopes that the female con exclusive is for one of the DC lines since the interview was really about the DC lines, but right now I'm fearing that it's the female figure from Naruto or Avatar that those collectors have been so vocal about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:20 pm 
The Last Word

marillion wrote:
Why does no one else see that? Where's Caped Crusader when ya need him? Chime in and back me up, man!

Actually, there was news in that interview.

Toy Guru wrote:
In fact that poster we offered at Comic Con was actually my personal collection in the photographs.

See? Toy Guru has ten figures in his "personal collection" that I don't have. Four of them (Mr. Miracle, Fire, Ice, Grodd) haven't been released at retail yet, two were sold in a convention-exclusive three-pack (Shayera, The Ray), and the other four are nowhere to be found months after showing up in stores (Deadshot, Barda, Obsidan, and Blue Devil).

That's gotta be news of some kind.

Arrakhat wrote:
Why not stop complaining about it so often? It gets old fast to hear the broken record moan about JLU over and over.

I agree that complaining over JLU is getting to be like a broken record. I'm not going to bother complaining, because it won't do any more good than "telling the retailers" to pretty please carry the line. You know what else is like a broken record, though?

Toy Guru wrote:
If we do launch a DTC website we want to do it right which means a little time and effort need to go into it.

Bull. I could have had the thing up and running, tested, worked free of bugs, live, and taking orders myself since the last time we were given that same speech. Little niche retailers can operate online mailorder systems, but one of the world's largest toy manufacturers can't even get to the, "it's coming very soon," stages? If Mattel really is interested in doing it, but can't accomplish it any more quickly than this, then a lot of people need to be replaced in that company.

Arrakhat wrote:
Because it is based on a TV show that is nearly 3 YEARS DEAD.

You are incorrect. The last episode of Justice League Unlimited aired on May 13, 2006. All the Caps Lock button in the world doesn't make that anywhere near three years.

Besides, how long had TNBA been off the air when Mattel had two-packs in the stores? I'm not talking about Big Lots, either, but rather major retailers. But a new show on Saturday mornings didn't get a Legion line into the stores, did it? I know it's easier to convince a retailer to pick up a new line if there is a current series or movie to support it, but that isn't necessarily the deciding factor.

Arrakhat wrote:
Do you really think that most kids were able to follow the show that long at those late night showings?

According to the demographics of the final season's ratings, at which you obviously never bothered to look (it was #1 on Cartoon Network among boys every week a new episode aired), the answer is yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:27 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Caped Crusader wrote:
Toy Guru wrote:
If we do launch a DTC website we want to do it right which means a little time and effort need to go into it.

Bull. I could have had the thing up and running, tested, worked free of bugs, live, and taking orders myself since the last time we were given that same speech. Little niche retailers can operate online mailorder systems, but one of the world's largest toy manufacturers can't even get to the, "it's coming very soon," stages? If Mattel really is interested in doing it, but can't accomplish it any more quickly than this, then a lot of people need to be replaced in that company.

I'm going to chime in here and say that the thing about doing a DTC website isn't so much about having the software in place and a home on the web, in the grand scheme of things that's the easy part... Having the infrastructure in place to take orders, process orders, pack the boxes, ship 'em out and setting up customer service. Then you've got to come up with the right choice and mix of product and I'm sure that they'd want the site to cover more than just DC product because as vocal as we are the lot of us crazies aren't going to be enough to support the expense of setting up a site and the infrastructure for a company the size of Mattel (yes, smaller companies can do this, but with the overhead the company the size Mattel plus stockholders to keep happy the amount of money they'd be losing trying to just sell to us)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:25 pm 
shirtless hugger

Caped Crusader wrote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Because it is based on a TV show that is nearly 3 YEARS DEAD.

You are incorrect. The last episode of Justice League Unlimited aired on May 13, 2006. All the Caps Lock button in the world doesn't make that anywhere near three years.

Sorry about that, I totally looked at the wrong part of the website at World's Finest Online. :oops: Allow me to fix that: The show is one and a half years dead. That's still a long time.

Quote:
Besides, how long had TNBA been off the air when Mattel had two-packs in the stores? I'm not talking about Big Lots, either, but rather major retailers. But a new show on Saturday mornings didn't get a Legion line into the stores, did it? I know it's easier to convince a retailer to pick up a new line if there is a current series or movie to support it, but that isn't necessarily the deciding factor.

Those TNBA 2-packs you mention weren't brand new figures though, were they? I mean, the two packs were just the same six figures that warmed pegs, not brand new sculpts for figures being produced in a continuing toy line.

As for the Legion point, that doesn't help make your case. The Legion line only proves that even with a supporting cartoon, a toy line can still fail. If that's the fate of toy lines that do have cartoons aupporting them, I'd say JLU's chances are very slim. Remember the Fantastic Four cartoon line that never happened? Once again, the line's fate implies that retailers don't see cartoon lines as strong.

How many cartoons even have toy lines right now? I know that Pokemon, Naruto, and other anime shows have toy lines, but what about non-anime boys toys? I can only think of JLU, The Batman, Ben 10, and Avatar. Of the four, JLU is the only one without a show to bolster it now, and the line's current status seems to reflect that.

Quote:
Arrakhat wrote:
Do you really think that most kids were able to follow the show that long at those late night showings?

According to the demographics of the final season's ratings, at which you obviously never bothered to look (it was #1 on Cartoon Network among boys every week a new episode aired), the answer is yes.

Obviously I don't know the demographics, I don't know where to find them. Sorry I'm not omniscient. As for the demographics, I doubt their accuracy (Can you tell me how they determine that it was boys watching the show? I don't know exactly how demographics work). If adult fans had trouble catching the show, something tells me kids wouldn't have it easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:51 am 
The Last Word

Jim_Abell wrote:
I'm going to chime in here and say that the thing about doing a DTC website isn't so much about having the software in place and a home on the web, in the grand scheme of things that's the easy part... Having the infrastructure in place to take orders, process orders, pack the boxes, ship 'em out and setting up customer service. Then you've got to come up with the right choice and mix of product and I'm sure that they'd want the site to cover more than just DC product because as vocal as we are the lot of us crazies aren't going to be enough to support the expense of setting up a site and the infrastructure for a company the size of Mattel (yes, smaller companies can do this, but with the overhead the company the size Mattel plus stockholders to keep happy the amount of money they'd be losing trying to just sell to us)

I wasn't just referring to the web site itself, nor was I talking about just DC products. How much business do you think they're really going to do? 10K orders per day? Not likely. I doubt they'd even need five people to fill orders, and they already have a customer service department. It's nowhere near as complicated as you're making it out to be.

Arrakhat wrote:
Those TNBA 2-packs you mention weren't brand new figures though, were they? I mean, the two packs were just the same six figures that warmed pegs, not brand new sculpts for figures being produced in a continuing toy line.

Yes, that was their first release at the time. Remember the Penguin four-pack at TRU? Brand new when it was released, and it sold very well.

Arrakhat wrote:
As for the Legion point, that doesn't help make your case. The Legion line only proves that even with a supporting cartoon, a toy line can still fail.

What it "proves" is that having a show on the air is not the deciding factor of whether or not retailers will buy into a line, which is exactly what I said. Having an established brand and recognizable characters can make that happen without a current series. Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics, 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe, and all the G1-inspired Transformers lines have been successful for these reasons. JLU offers Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and a lot of supporting characters at a very low price. Legion has Superman and a bunch of characters most people wouldn't recognize. What was the point when an animated Superman was already available in JLU, and no other recognizable Superman characters were in the series (a problem The Batman doesn't have)?

Arrakhat wrote:
If that's the fate of toy lines that do have cartoons aupporting them, I'd say JLU's chances are very slim. Remember the Fantastic Four cartoon line that never happened? Once again, the line's fate implies that retailers don't see cartoon lines as strong.

The ten-month midseason hiatus meant the line wasn't going to get much help from having a series, and honestly, Batman and Superman are far more popular as characters. JLU offers both.

Arrakhat wrote:
How many cartoons even have toy lines right now? I know that Pokemon, Naruto, and other anime shows have toy lines, but what about non-anime boys toys? I can only think of JLU, The Batman, Ben 10, and Avatar. Of the four, JLU is the only one without a show to bolster it now, and the line's current status seems to reflect that.

In addition to Pokémon and Naruto, there's also DragonBall Z and Yu-Gi-Oh. Avatar: The Last Airbender (an American series) are plentiful. Krypto The Superdog had a good run, but really, there was only so much they could do with the line. G.I. Joe: Sigma 6 toys are still being released, and it's been over a year since a new episode of that cartoon last aired.

Arrakhat wrote:
Obviously I don't know the demographics, I don't know where to find them. Sorry I'm not omniscient.

I don't expect anyone to be "omniscient", but personally, I like to know what I'm talking about before I get all condescending with someone.

Arrakhat wrote:
As for the demographics, I doubt their accuracy (Can you tell me how they determine that it was boys watching the show? I don't know exactly how demographics work).

Television viewing habits are monitored by Nielsen Media Research, they use Set Meters, People Meters, and surveys to determine demographics, and the information was available online at the time. Regardless of whether or not Arrakhat doubts it (:lol:), Nielsen has been recording viewer statistics for nearly 60 years, and theirs is the most accurate data.

Arrakhat wrote:
If adult fans had trouble catching the show, something tells me kids wouldn't have it easier.

I don't recall the rash of people having trouble catching it, but whatever. The show's producers have said time and time again that JLU's adult audience was smaller than its younger audience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:50 am 
Damage Control

Nielsen ratings are skewed to begin with. As far as unable to find the show when it was airing, I blame that on Cartoon Network, while the show was on, it was constantly being moved from week to week and yet it was still the #1 rated show that folks WANTED to watch. Mattel needs to do something to get out of the LEAD LINED TRENCH they are currently in. Selling online via a collectors club or whatever you want to call can only help this company that has already had some serious blows to its reputation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:04 am 
Former King of Posts

Quote:
Toy Guru wrote:
In fact that poster we offered at Comic Con was actually my personal collection in the photographs.

See? Toy Guru has ten figures in his "personal collection" that I don't have. ..., two were sold in a convention-exclusive three-pack (Shayera, The Ray), ....

Not sure who exactly needs Shayera and Ray here, but posters here offered to provide them for ANYONE on this site who needed them. Several times. Being a con exclusive is no longer a valid reason for not having these. Most of us, myself included, did NOT go to the con, but got them this way, for not much more than retail plus shipping. From helpful folks on this site. If you did not take them up on their offer, what can I say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:25 am 
Daniel Pickett

FYI-- I still have a couple of JLU Con 3-packs available. PM me if you still need one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:37 am 
The Last Word

superfriend wrote:
Not sure who exactly needs Shayera and Ray here, but posters here offered to provide them for ANYONE on this site who needed them. Several times. Being a con exclusive is no longer a valid reason for not having these. Most of us, myself included, did NOT go to the con, but got them this way, for not much more than retail plus shipping. From helpful folks on this site. If you did not take them up on their offer, what can I say.

I didn't realize I needed a "valid" reason for not having something. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:04 pm 
Former King of Posts

Just trying to helpfully point out that it would be very easy to reduce that number by 2.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next