Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How many DC lines are you willing to collect?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:56 am 
Former King of Posts

DC Direct is
continuing its 6" line.
Then they have their Mini-Mates
and their 13" line for high end collectors.

Mattel has coming:
6" DCU Comic line
4" Animated line
3" Fighting Figures
6" SuperFriends line
The Batman is expanding with other heroes.

WizKids has
Heroclix coming out at about 2 DC sets per year.

How many lines are you planning to buy?
(Not sure I could afford it all if I wanted to.)

My concern is that as Mattel is ramping up the goods, I see myself trying to ramp down my spending and the number of lines I am collecting.

Last edited by superfriend on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:04 am 
Former King of Posts

I'm pretty much
A) DC Animated (JLU) - Living without the hard to find recent overpriced on eBay figs.
B) HeroClix - And some of those HeroClix are too pricey on the secondary market, so I just live without whatever expensive pieces I do not pull (KC Superman for example).
C) DCDirect 6" - an occasional figure thrown in when the mood and character and sculpt strike me. Still bummed that they finally made Zatanna in her JLA costume, but the sculpt looks horrible (Identity Crisis Series 1).
D) Mattel's 6" l- I figure I'll buy in a similar way, when the mood and character strike me.
E) Superfriends - I love the look of this line. Waiting for the Xmas season to kick in and see if they stay at the 8$ price range or if I can get them for a few $ cheaper.

No longer a completist for any line.

As for those Fighting Figures, I might pick up a few for my desk if they are NOT blind boxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:06 am 
Collector Inspector

Out of that list, the only lines I collect everyone from are JLU/DCAU, DCSH/DCUC and Minimates (so far...damn addictive little plastic crack rocks!!!). All the others, including the DCD lines, I will collect every unique Bats and Joker, but that's it. Heroclix is the only line I don't really bother with, but will pick up a Bats or Joker if they are lying around and cheap enough...no way am I going to pay what my LCS wants for the Kingdom Come Bats Heroclix.

Oh, and if the DCD Black & White statues count as a line, I've been picking up every one of those buggers too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:22 am 
ABS

Primarily I collect DCSH/DCUC, but with spots of DCD. Justice Cheetah and Grundy fit well with them, and Parasite I got for free. Hush Joker and Scarecrow replace the DCSH versions, as I'm not pleased with either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:32 am 
serves the Otter

Argh. A year ago I'd have said I only collect JLU. But now with the drought I started moving 'upscale' as my brother put it to DC Superheroes. Then since I wasn't happy with the DCSH JOker (too short) I picked up Yamato Kia Asamiya Joker, and soon after a handful of other DCD stuff. Not to mention the occassional The Batman filler. So I guess.

1. JLU
2. Batman Animated
3. DCSH
4. DC Direct 6"
5. Ed McGuiness
6. The Batman

yow

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:13 am 
The Last Word

JLU and DC Direct's 6" figures are all that appeal to me. If I like the DCUC Harley when I see her in person, I'll buy her, but I'm really not impressed with what I've seen from that line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:24 am 
Hat Pooper

I'll only collect JLU, but I might pick up a few random DCUC figures depending on the sculpts, but I very much doubt the line will come out in Europe and I'm not willing to pay the crazy shipping to get them online. I'm not at all interested in Fighting Figures, The Batman or Superfriends, and the DC Direct stuff just always lets me down so I don't bother with it any more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:29 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I doubt I could be called a 'collector' of JLU or DCSH anymore seeing as how I haven't collected anything in months. :(

I'm already getting the DC Heroclix (Which suck worse than Mattel QC wise, dunno why I even get them) and some minimates.

Besides that just the occasional Batman Lego.

And I'm fine with what I'm getting, if Mattel puts more lines out I'm not getting them cause I hate the frenzy of buying into the line and store hopping everywhere and not seeing any product. Sure, Mattel says it's been fixed but I'll believe it when I hold the figs in my hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:42 am 
Collector Inspector

Unless DCUC puts out something that I see as a must have, like a Hal Jordan figure I don't see myself collecting the line. Same goes for the Superfriends, they're cute and all but I just don't see myself purchasing them.

It's animated for me only. I only need to get Volcana to complete what's currently out and I am determined to finish the line..lol.

Still my hope is that the line does continue and if not it was a great ride. Now I can spend my time finding the new GI Joes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:45 am 
Resin

Ever since I found that Manga Saurai Spawn in 98, I've been dedicated to the 6" scale. Lucky for me, that what DCDirect later made their toys in (mostly) and then what Marvel Legends was made in, plus Street Fighter, BTVS, and all kinds of stuff.

Anything cool in that basic size is on my radar.

Mattel's DCAU line is something I'll totally get. They look great.
DCDirect will, every now and then, have something I want.

I'm lucky that I don't really collect, too.
I'll just pick up a few things here and there. Thank goodness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:10 am 
5" Scale

Any/all new JLU figures.

Pretty much any new DCD Minimates.

And figures from the DC Classics/DCD offerings that I like, and are in relative scale to each other, that I don't already have.

The occasional movie figure.

And that's it. I'm not starting anything new, that's for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 am 
PVC

I just quit JLU and put my entire collection on ebay. I'm following DCUC only, and even then I'm only going to buy figures if a) I like the character, b) I like the sculpt, and/or c) I love the BAF enough to need every figure in that wave. (After which I'll probably eBay or trade the unwanted figure. I know I want Metamorpho from Wave 1, so that unwanted Batman is going up for trade/sale.)

Other than that, the only other line I might splurge on will be the battle figures, if I see one or two that I might like to put on my desk at work.

Wakko

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... CA:US:1123

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:19 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Huh... I guess I never really thought about how much I am dumping into DC character toys.

Lets see...

I currently get...
DC Direct 13" Figures (Too friggin sweet not to have 'em, and DCBS prices help A LOT too. Yer Welcome for the plug by the way)
DC Direct 6" figures depending on character and wave. I will buy the entire wave of Shazam Family and New Frontier, but I am selective with the new Showcase Presents for example.
DC MiniMates. Seriously, How can you not get those?

Mattel's DCSH (I would like to be a completist but Mattel and their retail partners are just making it so damn hard to find the figures lately.)
Mattel's JLU (see above)
Mattel's DC SuperFriends (again, just too damn cute not too. Plus my son loves these figures.)
have no time nor group to play games with regularly anymore so I pass now and will continue to do so on Heroclix and the Upcoming Battle figures/Fighting Figures.

Wow. I dump mega money into DC. And I by no means consider myself to be that major of a collector. I do not buy variants unless they are truly stunning. I am not all that critical of paint apps. I will not EVER pay more than 25% over original retail price for a figure. If that means I never get it so be it. Most of my DC Direct has been acquired with a significant discount at my LCS and everything in my JLU and DCSH collection has been acquired at Target/TRU with the exception of the Con Exclusives through board members here (thanks again everyone)

In all honesty I don't see my buying habits changing anytime soon ulness the companies offer some truly unique new products.

On that note, for my money,

Get rid of Exclusives and Chase variants. If I never see them again it will be fine by me.
Get rid of the Build-a-figure concept. I realize MANY of you like the idea but frankly it just ticks me off. BAFS DO NOT stand up to the hard play my son puts em through and there is nothing worse than losing a leg or arm down a heat vent and then not being able to find the figure again at retail to replace it ... aaahhhhhh! don't get me started.

just my two cents. your mileage may vary.
I

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:38 am 
Dog Squeezer

me... 3 for now.
JLU, DC SUPER FRIENDS and DC DIRECT (BATMAN and BATMAN related characters only)

I am sorta catching up on the BTAS line.

It just gets too expensive sometimes to collect other lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 am 
Former King of Posts

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
HGet rid of the Build-a-figure concept. I realize MANY of you like the idea but frankly it just ticks me off. BAFS DO NOT stand up to the hard play my son puts em through and there is nothing worse than losing a leg or arm down a heat vent and then not being able to find the figure again at retail to replace it ... aaahhhhhh! don't get me started.

I just had to comment on this. I kicked a small child's toy one day and down the vent it went. After that, I had to go buy the toy again. I planned to put a screen (wire mesh) across the vent, but now upon reflection am not sure I ever did, or if there were several that needed covering and I only did one.