Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why do most prefer DCSH Batman 2nd sculpt to 1st sculpt?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:43 am 
serves the Otter

Picked up the 2nd Batman along with Batgirl. I thought I'd 'get' why people liked him. I didn't, sorry. I feel he's a tad old. I also don't like the drop of the cape from the neck and the circular head that doesn't flow onto the neck.

But I'm curious, why do YOU like him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:53 am 
categorically opposed

I think he's badass compared to the first one.

The first one, to me, just doesn't measure up with Superman, Steel, the Batgirls, Supergirl, or any of the other newly-sculpted figures in the line. He looks very much like he's being recycled from an old line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:24 am 
Dog Squeezer

To me, the first Batman always looked like he was hunched over. To get him to look up you really had to push his chest back and it just didn't look natural. Maybe it was supposed to be Batman after his back was broken. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:37 am 
Prototype

Jesterboy wrote:
To me, the first Batman always looked like he was hunched over. To get him to look up you really had to push his chest back and it just didn't look natural. Maybe it was supposed to be Batman after his back was broken. :D

Yeah, it's like the first one has no neck. I like both figures though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:32 am 
Resin

I think it's because the head is much more in proportion to the body, in addition to alot more sculpted details... But that's my opinion...
Derb-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:53 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Can't say that I'm particularly fond of either one of them. I prefer the bulk of the second one, but I really don't like the belt being so large or the head sculpt or the deco. I think that the final black/grey Bats solved most of the problem for the figure but the head sculpt still looks off (jaw looks lop-sided to me) and the face is still too pale and he's got the "lipstick" thing going on which probably wouldn't be so objectionable if the other human males had had that added to their deco, Joker being the exception...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:51 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I like the series 3 figure better because it has better details sculpted into the figure (like the Bat logo or the seam of the costume & gloves) and better articulation. That being said both figure have their pluses and flaws.
While I like that Series 1 is leaner and the cape hangs over the shoulders much better. I think for me the perfect Batman would be Series 3 Batman (sculpt/articulation/Details) but with a leaner torso and with a cloth cape like the one used on the Batman & Robin TRU 2-Pack, but in blue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 am 
Damage Control

They both will soon be replaced with DCUC1 Batman so the question is moot :shock: :twisted: :wink:

Sorry. Just messin'. I'm just glad we have multiple, canon versions of Batman in the same scale to choose from. Rejoice and give thanks. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:58 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

grouch wrote:
They both will soon be replaced with DCUC1 Batman so the question is moot :shock: :twisted: :wink:

Sorry. Just messin'. I'm just glad we have multiple, canon versions of Batman in the same scale to choose from. Rejoice and give thanks. :D

This is true. And I'm planning of getting a few of the DCUC1 for some repaints. That figure sculpt looks amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:09 am 
Damage Control

I'm not up on my Batman history so forgive me. Did Batman ever have an all black costume with the oval in the comics?? I know the first movie costume looked like that but was there ever a comic version? Is there a site that give you all the costumes of Bats somewhere??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:42 am 
ABS

grouch wrote:
I'm not up on my Batman history so forgive me. Did Batman ever have an all black costume with the oval in the comics?? I know the first movie costume looked like that but was there ever a comic version? Is there a site that give you all the costumes of Bats somewhere??

I'm sure there was that version somewhere in the comics, but the closest DC got was the sans-outer-underwear, with the basic body gray, and the cape, cowl, gloves and boots black. It was around the time of the Morrison Age of JLA.

As for what I like about the second coming of Batman...the wash and detail are better, he's bulkier, his gray areas are darker (something that turned me off of the repainted black cowl version) and I love that grimace. Batman is supposed to be angry lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:27 am 
5th Horseman

My fave so far is Attack Armor Batman with a Hush head; I think he's superior to either of these.

I never gave Series 1 Batman a chance b/c the proto from SDCC that year was FAR better and then we got a rehash. Cool figure, but still a rehash.

In any case, Series 3 Bats has better detail with the seams and wrinkles in the outfit and better articulation. The paint wash I think might be a bit better as well. The head however, is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:10 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

ditko, do you have pics of that attack armor, hush combo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:41 pm 
5th Horseman

I think many others have done it and might be up on The Fwoosh. I'll try to get some pics if they are not on there. It's a great look & great figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:57 am 
We're going streaking!

I prefer the second version, but I actually like the new black & gray repaint better than the version pictured. If the first Batman had more articulation in the legs, he would rank higher, but I like the detail of the second one better and while the face looks more weathered, I prefer it to the almost cartoony face of the first one. I do prefer the slim body of the first one though.