Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Any Word on the 1/18th Scale '66 Batmobile?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:06 pm 
We're going streaking!

Has anyone heard anything about the Hot Wheels 1/18 scale 1966 Batmobile? It has been slated to come out this month for a while now and this month is almost over. Seeing that Mattel had a flocked version ready for SDCC, I expect(ed) this to be on time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:17 pm 
PVC

Mattel & George Barris were NOT HAPPY with the final product that came in from China for evaluation before they cranked out the production runs.
It looks like it will be March or April before they're ready now.
The price on these is quite high...
$40.00 for regular edition;regular retail { not a bad price }
$70.00 for Elite Version;Hobby Shops
$180.00 for the Super Elite Version;of which they are only making 1966 of.......most places have pre-sold out of the higher end versions...........
the Man-Bat1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:42 pm 
Former King of Posts

and that 1:1 life size version is going to be extremely hard to get. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:49 pm 
active in the community

Is this also true for the 1/43rd Corgi sized version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:57 pm 
PVC

Hate to say it but the 1/43 has been cancelled.
Theres supposed to be a 1/50th or something,
but to date no ones heard a thing about it.
The Man-Bat1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:11 pm 
We're going streaking!

Thanks for the information. I would rather wait and get a correct version, so that works for me. Especially in an expensive month November has turned out to be.

I actually pre-ordered my Standard version for $27.99 from Big Bad Toy Store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:48 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

http://www.1966batmobile.com/hw.htm

Super Elite version:
The 60's TV version BATMOBILE: Super Elite issue - made by Mattel. This Super Elite issue is more detailed than the standard issue, with opening features, and fewer made. This Super Elite version features opening doors, opening hood with jet motor detail, and an opening trunk with Bat computer. This model will include bat logos, front and rear antennas, plus photo etched beacon, real canvas parachute bags, and metal missile launchers. The interior will include piped trim, fabric seat belts with bat logo buckle, bat phone, and fire extinguisher. The Super Elite car is mounted on a leather covered base & seriel numbered. Due to Mattel wanting to make improvements on the sample cars, the item has been delayed. This product is expected to be in stock approximately Sunday 24 February, 2008.

Elite Version:
The 60's TV version BATMOBILE: Elite issue - made by Mattel. This Elite issue will be more detailed than the standard issue. This Elite version will feature opening doors, opening hood, jet motor detail, and opening trunk with Bat computer inside. This model will include bat logos, front and rear antennas, photo etched beacon, real canvas parachute bags, plus metal missile launchers. The intrerior will include piped trim, fabric seat belts with bat logo buckle, bat phone, and fire extinguisher. Due to Mattel wanting to make improvements on the samples, the item has been delayed. This product is expected to be in stock approximately Sunday 24 February, 2008.

Standard Version:
"The 60's TV version BATMOBILE (standard issue) made by Mattel. This standard issue will be the one they make lots of, and they should be pretty cool to have. This product is expected to be in stock approximately Sunday 30 March, 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:19 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

So according to the description, the only difference between elite and super elite is the leather base? I have to believe there is more to it than that...

I'll pay a bit for an accurate representation of this car, but not an extra $100+ for a nice base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:14 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Here's a couple more bits from that site:

From Mattel: "1:18 Mass and 1:50 line - look for them in March.

Super Elite and Elite - Still up in the air. The latest I'm hearing is more like March/April than February/March. So that probably means April. Your descriptions sound correct (not sure about the Bat computer in the trunk), although I've yet to see samples yet. We did indeed delay these items because the original detail wasn't up to the standards we've set for Elite."

And someone else asked, "I still don't really see a difference between the two cars in those descriptions, other than the serial number and base mount for the Super elite."

And the reply: those descriptions are on a couple of online dealers' websites and in at least one of the versions I saw (if not several) it mentioned that the standard will have rubber parts as does the flocked version (rocket tubes, front and rear antennae, beacon cage, etc.), the elite and super elite will have metal/photo etched parts where the standard doesn't, and the elite will have something like 150 separate parts whereas the superelite will have 400-500 separate parts. If this is accurate, I'd say that's quite a difference in terms of labor required for an elite vs super elite--assembling 3-4 times the number of parts. Most likely the differences will be in the level of meticulousness of the details--maybe the elite wont have every little label, button, switch, etc in the interior, but the super elite will.

And also: "oh yeah...here's some more crazy rumors I heard early on:

The super elite packaging supposedly was to include a button that would play the theme song from the TV show when pressed. The super elite would have working lights."