Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Should someone else handle JLU/DCAU?
yes, I (think another could do the job better) want new JLU! 18%  18%  [ 7 ]
no, Mattel is doing a fantastic job 37%  37%  [ 14 ]
wait and see 45%  45%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 38
 Post subject: Should someone else handle JLU/DCAU?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:01 am 
An Insider

Given the way this line has been handled by Mattel, do you think that, should JLU/DCAU not be picked up by retailers, Mattel should hand the reigns over to a more capable company? If so, who and why?

I think DC Direct would be a fantastic venue for this line given the rate that they have cranked out the minimates 2 packs wave after wave. Granted, you would have to order sets out months in advance, but this would give everyone an opportunity to collect every figure, instead of going to random stores hoping for a chance that maybe you'll see at least one new figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:42 am 
Hat Pooper

I'd love to see deluxe window-box two packs like Shining Knight and Winged Victory, Green Arrow VS Brimstone, Wonder Woman VS Giganta, and I know Mattel would never do those, so I do hope to eventually see the license go to another company. But face it, it'll never happen. Mattel owns all the DC animation rights now.

Last edited by cowmuf on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 am 
serves the Otter

I don't think anyone would give this line more of a life than Mattel has. If DC Direct took over, they'd start over with Superman and Batman, we'd get four or five characters per quarter (if that many), and it would take them about five or six years to build up to the number and variety of characters that Mattel has already put out, let alone moving beyond that mark to bring us characters we haven't seen yet.

If Mattel's attempt in '08 fails, I'm not going to get on board with anyone else trying to do the animated style. It'll be done for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:21 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Not to mention DC Direct would make them 5" scale as a whole, then screw that up and make some characters 6" scale within the line that screw up the display possibilities.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:00 am 
Former King of Posts

Mattel just paid a HUGE lump of cash for the expanded DCU license after trying to get it for quite some time. I think it is unrealistic to think the license will change hands anytime soon.

JLU was good. Wide variety. Easy to find. In the first several years. I think it needs to be refocused. Back to its roots. Bats and Supes sell. Put them back in almost every 3 pack. Dr. Fate/Hawkgirl/Vixen is a bad selection. No heavy hitters to sell to moms. Listen to fans for future character selection, but not packages. Even distribution of product in each case. Do not put Supes and Bats in the same pack.

Another company? Any other company would restart with Supes, Bats, Flash, Mars, GL, Wondy. Based upon the show, Metamorpho and Green Arrow would follow. Luthor and the Joker. Hawkgirl? Supergirl? maybe. Vixen, Zatanna, Black Canary, Huntress, Barda? unlikely. Star Sapphire, Volcana? never.

No.

ps. Your poll choices are biased and confusing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 pm 
Prototype

Yeah, I think Mattel will take full advantage of the new license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:28 pm 
proverbial old fart

I know were all frustrated the the JLU line right now, but when I think back on how much has been accomplished on a shoestring budget I believe that Mattel can keep up with the line. . . Provided that the retail support is there.

We all dislike Wal-Mart at some level, but for better or worse they are the 500 pound gorilla in the retail toy world. In order for the JLU line to succeed Wal-Mart is going to have to come back on board. I don't think that TRU and Target can carry the line by themselves.

Which brings up the point of alternative distribution lines. Can Mattel work with Diamond? Can the internet toy retailers like Big Bad Toy Store get some love from Mattel?

I guess all this is my long-winded way of saying I think we have to wait and see... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:52 pm 
Former King of Posts

Glenn2000 wrote:
We all dislike Wal-Mart at some level, but for better or worse they are the 500 pound gorilla in the retail toy world.

This statement makes me wonder how much Grodd weighs? or Ultra Humanite?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm 
proverbial old fart

superfriend wrote:
Glenn2000 wrote:
We all dislike Wal-Mart at some level, but for better or worse they are the 500 pound gorilla in the retail toy world.

LOL! :D

Didn't realize I had made a funny there!

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:03 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Glenn2000 wrote:

I thought the gorilla was 800 pounds?

Dammit, Glenn, do you work for DC Direct? Stop changing the scale!!! ;)

Peace,

C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:58 pm 
3 3/4"

can someone, anyone, on this earth let us know what the future of DCAU/JLU is???? Enough of this garbage already....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:07 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Actually... Walmart is NOT needed and the health of the JLU line is probably better off without it.

I know... that sounds crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:49 am 
Loose, Missing Package

JuliusMarx wrote:

Not really. It's done pretty well without WM since the switch from Justice League to JLU... Just as long as everyone else stays on board things should be fine. I'd love to be able to buy JLU at the only local store but if the line can keep going without WM I'll deal...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:21 am 
The Last Word

Glenn2000 wrote:
Can the internet toy retailers like Big Bad Toy Store get some love from Mattel?

That, to me, has been the biggest case of Mattel dropping the ball. That Mr. I'm A JLU Collector, Too let BBTS get totally blown off on his watch doesn't inspire much confidence.

JuliusMarx wrote:
Actually... Walmart is NOT needed and the health of the JLU line is probably better off without it.

No, looking at the line's history, it actually makes sense, especially with their in again, out again approach to the product. I'm sure a firm commitment from Target, Toys Я Us, and Big Lots would mean a profit for Mattel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:53 am 
Former King of Posts

Glenn2000 wrote:
superfriend wrote:
Glenn2000 wrote:

LOL! :D

Didn't realize I had made a funny there!

:wink:

Yeah, you did.

I now recall Solivar telling Flash that he weighed "400 of your pounds" or something like that. After Flash runs away carrying Solivar, Flash makes comments casting some doubt as to that number.