Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Good News Everyone!!! No Joke regarding JLU.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 pm 
ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

While I was in Toys R us, and having just found out that I once again missed Blue Devil, but aquired an extra Vigilante (pm me if you want it). I asked, what I thought was a unique store worker, (had a collered shirt and tie), if they please please had any more in the back, he went on to tell me that unfortunately they didnt, but dont give up hope. After talking with him for roughly 20 minutes heres what was said.

BAD NEWS
1. He has never seen a Blue Devil figure ever!

2. Never Barda, Sand, Sapphire ect.

3. Never Seen the Clayface wave at retail (other than today, Yeah I finally got the new Batman, but missed the clayface...agggghhhhh!).

4. Unfortunately dont expect the shipments to get any better until after the new year. (He works down in San Diego, CA, and knows that distribution is horrendous right now)

5. He was equally as sick of repaints, and knows that the lines will eventually be better, it just takes time. (rawr!).

6. He's Desperately awaiting new JLU, he is in the same boat as all of us, he told me his favorite newest character was Deadshot. (I told him yah, havent seen that one either.) He said there will be more shipping. (hopefully).

NOW THE GOOD NEWS
1. YES! JLU is still going, (I asked how he knew this for sure, I was of course skeptical, and he said he knows a couple people in package design and marketing at Mattel, they coordianate info on the sales floor and company, which is why he was out today in the first place, to collect info leading upto Christmas, he is working all the toys r us's of South OC, Bakersfield, San Diego, Carlsbad, ect.) he said there will be announcements after the first of the year, as with DCU.

2. The decision of JLU is that there will be new figures, but that Comic-Con will be the new way to get the figures collectors want (which kinda intrigued me, maybe more than one?) Thats all he knew about Comic-con, other than he goes every year.

3. The JLU line, at the present moment, he said is going amazingly strong, but that Mattel knows there are only a certain number of people out there that really really want the newer figures, thats whats kinda marring the line. (i guess that means they want to make em, but is it worth it economically) (F***).

4. They are trying every possible strategy to push the line, for more characters and newer sculpts. Also, he said that Mattel likes the fact that they know collectors are also in it for the chase of the figures, and that they take that into account as being part of the fun of collecting this particular line, (to which I said, yeah its fun to chase down figures, but I have to actually be able to find some once in a while, he laughed,to which I wanted to punch him, haha.)

5. Asked me how long I have been collecting them, and I said since I was eight (all the animated lines leading upto JLU)He was 24 and has been doing the same, and he said, they know that a lot of die hard fans want them, so while there may not be as many JLU figures coming out at one time, which he meant waves of figures, but the figures that come out will be new and what the collectors want. He said Manhunters!!!, no joke. (i was actually impressed he knew his stuff). But that he doesnt know any particulars on characters other than that. (He had No idea on the Silver Banshee pic i posted the other day).

6. Be ready for next week, when they are unveiling the newest DCU line, the third one, and he said they are thinking of possibly teasing wave 4 already. The DCU line is being extrememly well taken care of, and will become their ultimate project for fans, children collectors, ect. He said that this line will become more than most fans would expect. But still doesnt know particulars, other than this is Mattels big "boy market" project.

7. We then went on to speak nerd for the rest of the time being, he said he was waiting for Hourman and Grodd, he hasnt been able to pick them up yet either. From there i told him, wow, your telling me I beat a Mattel rep to the figure chase, when i explained that I had an Hourman. But still no on the Grodd, he said that Grodd will not be very hard to find at least in the upcoming weeks.

I said to him, right before he had to go, as he was being pesterd by a holliday shopper, that I love the JLU line, that please please tell them not to let the line die, unless they go out with a bang, and that he should visit this website just to see how many fans are out there. And the last thing I told him was, yes and I want more JLU and that he personally (he laughed) better make sure that the newest JLU figures have friggin holes in ther feet, so they can stand, and that paint apps need to get better for the most part (he said tell me about it). So at least I got to say my two cents.

So this is fairly good news and I was stoked to be even talking about JLU, something I rarely get to do other than here, casue I dont know anyone else that collects them, but hopefully this relieves alot of you out there as it did me. I cant wait for 08!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:51 pm 
Former King of Posts

Sounds like good news to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:37 pm 
categorically opposed

So was this a Mattel rep or a Toys R Us employee?

You call him both at different points in the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 pm 
ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

He was a Mattel Rep, not toys r us employee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Dear Mattel,

variants are fun, but no one is in this for the chase of the figures except scalpers.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 pm 
PVC

vancleef9000 wrote:
Dear Mattel,

variants are fun, but no one is in this for the chase of the figures except scalpers.

VC9k

Variants are fun.Easy to find,choose which one you like or buy both,
yes,"variants" arre fun. However,"chase",meaning can't find one inna hundred stores,can't find them due to low shipping numbers,
NOT FUN!!!!!
Man-Bat1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:16 pm 
Prototype

Sounds awesome to me. Bring on the new JLU figures! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:25 am 
5" Scale

vancleef9000 wrote:
Dear Mattel,

VC9k
Exactly. Does Mattel actually believe this or is this just a way to try to justify their crappy distribution? Inquiring minds want to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:56 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Will there be a Hal Jordan GL figure in the new DC Animated line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:19 am 
Former King of Posts

Sam Sedar wrote:
Will there be a Hal Jordan GL figure in the new DC Animated line?

Latest word from Toy Guru at Mattel is:
A) There are two characters off limits for DCAnimated
Lobo and Hal Jordan Green Lantern.
B) The former Charlton heroes still have some hurdles to be crossed before we will get them, but they are still chasing that group of characters (Capt Atom, Blue Beetle, Question, Peacemaker, Nightshade, Sarge Steel, Quicksilver - I believe this last character was renamed Max Mercury due to the Marvel character of the same name, although I cannot back that up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:47 pm 
Collector Inspector

A couple of things confused me like JLU is continuing and then it says that new characters are only going to be at comic con. So is this that JLU will be used to finish out TV characters for convention exclusives or that the only new figures we'll see in the line period is from there.

Good stuff otherwise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:30 pm 
ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

no i think what he meant are the really exorbitant figures like a 10inch Giganta, or something along those lines, would be at comic-con, all he was saying was thats all he knew at the time being, or thats what he has personally heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:33 pm 
3 3/4"

how about some new pics this century....???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:52 am 
Prototype

darthmeks wrote:
how about some new pics this century....???

That would be nice. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:24 am 
Knows his stuff

superfriend wrote:
B) The former Charlton heroes still have some hurdles to be crossed before we will get them, but they are still chasing that group of characters (Capt Atom, Blue Beetle, Question, Peacemaker, Nightshade, Sarge Steel, Quicksilver - I believe this last character was renamed Max Mercury due to the Marvel character of the same name, although I cannot back that up).

Quicksilver/Max Mercury was a Quality Comics character from the Golden Age, not a Charlton character from the Silver Age like the rest of them. Quality was responsible for Plastic Man, Blackhawk, and all the Freedom Fighters as well.