Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 pm 
Damage Control

No offense Chip, but your *line is dead* statement is just as ridiculous as somebody predicting what new figures are coming out in the next year. The fact is, neither side will know for sure until 1. Mattel makes an official announcement with pictures, or 2. come next year there is no new product. I'll just say this, you can let the people dream and speculate without constantly chiming in with the line is dead statements. We know what you think, but you don't have to bring everybody down in these threads. I for one would like to think it is still going. But we won't know until next year (Toyfair at the earliest). Don't want to put a wedge between us, but it had to be said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm 
Former King of Posts

Compromise.

JLU is dead after Miracle, Fire, & Ice.

DCAnimated continues in a new line for 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:07 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Veil1 wrote:
No offense Chip, but your *line is dead* statement is just as ridiculous as somebody predicting what new figures are coming out in the next year.

No offense, Matt, but here are some facts :

1. Fall Toy Fair, when retailers are shown lines to pick up for early/spring 2008 came and went.

2. After that event, Toy Guru chimed in here and said that the DCAU line was not picked up at retail.

3. Nearly EVERY OTHER LINE, no matter the company producing it, has shown new 2008 product. (Hasbro ML, NECA Turtles, Star Wars, Indy Jones, LCBH, Transformers, DCUC, Superfriends, etc, etc, etc, ETC.) Nothing has been shown at all for any animated-style DCAU-type line.

4. Continued silence from Mattel about anything regarding the line, save for that Mr. Miracle, Fire, and Ice will be coming out in SPRING 2008.

Now, granted, even I cannot say for 100% certainty that the line is totally dead, since February Toy Fair can show product that will make it out before the end of 2008...*but* since February *2007* Toy Fair showed product that is now coming out *Spring 2008* as far as JLU/DCAU it shows Mattel's plans for the line given no retail support.

There's the logical argument. I await someone to counter all those facts and change my mind.

Look, if y'all think I *want* the line to disappear, you're crazy. No one loves the DCAU like me...no one. I think that's obvious by my following the whole genre since the beginning. However, I just don't understand everyone getting their hopes up when all the facts state otherwise.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:12 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I'd also just like to add that if anyone thinks I'm a Mattel-hater, they are operating under a misconception.

I think what they're doing with DCUC and giving the 4H the opportunity to give fans the line they've wanted for years and years is brilliant. Not only brilliant, but it will get me collecting again when they hit retail. I now regret selling off my DCSH collection, since I'll have to get all those again and add them to the DCUC figures I'll be buying in the future.

However, I'll not be buying the JLU again since no new characters will be produced. Nothing against those that do, but the fact that there could be a 250-character line instead of a 75-character line is a wasted opportunity, IMHO. Look at Star Wars, look at GI Joe, and look at Transformers. Those lines are historic simply due to their width and breadth, let alone sculpting and accuracy.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:08 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Quote:
No offense, Matt, but here are some facts :

No offense, Chip, but here's a few more:

Quote:
1. Fall Toy Fair, when retailers are shown lines to pick up for early/spring 2008 came and went.

Fall Toy Fair always comes and goes. There's no press allowed, remember? It's strictly for manufacturers and buyers. I would have been astounded if there had been some big JLU announcement made there. With no press to cover it, what would have been the point?

Quote:
2. After that event, Toy Guru chimed in here and said that the DCAU line was not picked up at retail.

Well, no. Toy Guru hasn't posted anything here since late in October. What he said just prior to Toy Fair was "We'll update everyone on JLU after Toy Fair is over. The line isn't dead. Far from it my friends."

Quote:
3. Nearly EVERY OTHER LINE, no matter the company producing it, has shown new 2008 product. (Hasbro ML, NECA Turtles, Star Wars, Indy Jones, LCBH, Transformers, DCUC, Superfriends, etc, etc, etc, ETC.) Nothing has been shown at all for any animated-style DCAU-type line.

Nothing's been shown for The Dark Knight or Incredible Hulk lines, but we know those are coming.

Quote:
4. Continued silence from Mattel about anything regarding the line, save for that Mr. Miracle, Fire, and Ice will be coming out in SPRING 2008.

We've had nothing but continued silence from Mattel, period.

Mike
(Sorry, Chip. I'll wait until someone from Mattel says the line is over before I believe it.) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:33 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

General Secretary Marillion, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the AFI and JLU, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Marillion, open this gate! Mr. Marillion, tear down this wall!

I understand the fear of the end of the JLU Line and the pain of nothing to collect that afflict this forum-- and I pledge to you my efforts to help overcome these burdens. To be sure, we at AFI must resist negativity. So we must maintain defenses of unassailable strength. Yet we seek peace; so we must strive to reduce hyperbole on both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:53 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SDcomics wrote:
Well, no. Toy Guru hasn't posted anything here since late in October. What he said just prior to Toy Fair was "We'll update everyone on JLU after Toy Fair is over. The line isn't dead. Far from it my friends."

*sigh* Mike, yer gonna make me look up that quote and repost it here, aren't you? Do you think I just made up the fact that someone at Mattel said that the DCAU line wasn't picked up at retail?

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:31 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

Isn't there supposed to be another round of question and answer on the 13th this month? Maybe he'll say something then... I heard somewhere we are getting some kind of update...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:47 pm 
serves the Otter

vancleef9000 wrote:
The negative nancy stuff is kind of charming in how unwavering it is, but having to look at that horrible picture of Peter Gabriel every time Chip posts, not so much.

VC9k

I've been WONDERING who that was, but haven't wanted to ask.

*shudder*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:11 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

I thought it was some character from WoW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:32 pm 
Cold-cast

I don't know if the line is dead, but it certainly dying. When we're finding new figures (like Blue Devil) at pharmacies, grocery stores and overstock stores, I don't think that's a good sign.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

marillion wrote:
Quote:
*sigh* Mike, yer gonna make me look up that quote and repost it here, aren't you? Do you think I just made up the fact that someone at Mattel said that the DCAU line wasn't picked up at retail?

Yes, Chip, I'm afraid I am because no one at Mattel has said that the JLU line has not been picked up at retail.

I think this is the quote you're referring to:

Q1&1.5: Will there be any DC news coming out of the Fall/October Toy Fair?
I would like to know when we'll hear (or take a look) about the new JLU figures (please, don't tell me it will be soon, let us know at least the month we'll hear about them).

We hope to have news to post some time after Toy Fair (maybe early November or December). Mattel is working on new JLU figures and we will be presenting new JLU figures at Toy Fair this October. Once we have confirmation from our retail partners that they are interested in carrying the line in 2008, we will be able to make an announcement to fans. We can’t announce any new toys for any line until we know for certain they will be available at retail.

I can also tell you that if JLU is not picked up at retail for 2008 we are STILL going to find a way to get them to fans. (Whether that is through conventions, online sales, or something else - perhaps that we are working on in secret - is yet to be determined). Mattel is very dedicated to this line. We just don’t want to reveal anything until there is something to reveal. (remember what happened with Legion toys…) Toy Guru is very adamant about this line and keeps bringing it up to management every week.

No where does he say that the line hasn't been picked up at retail. He says that they're waiting to find out. There's a difference.

Y'know, I could send the DC brand manager at Mattel an e-mail or give him a call and just ask what's going on with JLU, but I'm afraid the answer will be "stay tuned!". I'd probably have better luck asking one of the designers, but even if they told me they'd ask me to keep it under my hat. That's the way it works with news these days. The big companies, like Mattel, Hasbro and Marvel Toys, wait until the February Toy Fair or SDCC to make an announcement. Or they'll make it through Toy Fare magazine. It's all about getting the maximum impact out of your announcement and getting the word to as many people as possible. And truthfully, I can understand that. It's just good business.

Mike
(Oh, well. Just 67 Days Until Toy Fair 2008!) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:18 am 
An Insider

marillion wrote:
think that's obvious by my following the whole genre since the beginning. However, I just don't understand everyone getting their hopes up when all the facts state otherwise.

Peace,

Chip

Exactly. A lot of people are being ignorantly optimistic in the face of what is happening. The writing is on the wall; JLU is winding down if not over already. They did this same thing with the pre DCSH Batman comic book line and He-Man...They are once again doing it with JLU. NO NEW PRODUCT WAS SHOWN AT SDCC! Hell half the time when new product is shown it still doesn't come out! JLU is over folks. It’s hard to accept, but we aren’t gonna get anything new. I'd be surprised if we get Fire, Ice and Miracle.

SDcomics wrote:

Mike
(Sorry, Chip. I'll wait until someone from Mattel says the line is over before I believe it.) :wink:

Yeah us He-Fans got continued silence after King Hiss...Mattel still hasn't told us if that line is over. :wink: They aren’t in the market of announcing when they "kil teh lein"...

SDcomics wrote:

[b]

We can’t announce any new toys for any line until we know for certain they will be available at retail.

I can also tell you that if JLU is not picked up at retail for 2008 we are STILL going to find a way to get them to fans. (Whether that is through conventions, online sales, or something else - perhaps that we are working on in secret - is yet to be determined).[/color]

Y'know, I could send the DC brand manager at Mattel an e-mail or give him a call and just ask what's going on with JLU, but I'm afraid the answer will be "stay tuned!".

Mike
(Oh, well. Just 67 Days Until Toy Fair 2008!) :wink:

"STAY TUNED"TM 2007 Mattel My ass is sore from the constant flow of smoke. :? If I sound jaded it's because I'm a He-Fan and have seen this behavior pattern before. As much as I love the various Mattel brand mangers over the last five years it’s always the idiots in the monkey suits who fling poo at us all call it money making. Let's not kill the messenger folks. I feel sorry for Toy Guru because he is a man who loves his Job and wants this stuff (almost) as much as we do. I met him at SDCC and he is a real nice guy. So was Jeremy Padawer during the He-Man days, and Boy Wonder when he was around...and everybody in between them. But let us not forget that they have bosses that they have to answer to. inturn those bosses have action figure Dogma (usually called shareholders) and have a hard time adjusting to the changing market place.

Last edited by Fallen Eldor on Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:36 am 
Collector Inspector

FALLEN ELDOR wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Mike

Yeah us he-fans got continued silence after King Hiss...and Mattel still hasn't told us if that line is over. :wink: They aren’t in the market of announcing when they "kil teh lein"...

Time to start checking Aldi's for Miracle, Fire and Ice! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:42 am 
An Insider

KRaZeE wrote:
FALLEN ELDOR wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

Mike

Yeah us he-fans got continued silence after King Hiss...and Mattel still hasn't told us if that line is over. :wink: They aren’t in the market of announcing when they "kil teh lein"...

Time to start checking Aldi's for Miracle, Fire and Ice! :lol:

I'd laugh if i wasn't sad :lol: :? :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next