Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:16 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

What's funny to me is that people feel like they need to tell us that they are giving up on the line. OK you arent collecting JLU anymore. Statements like that dont really lend themselves to discussion. So why bother posting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:32 am 
Collector Inspector

Arsenio3 wrote:
What's funny to me is that people feel like they need to tell us that they are giving up on the line. OK you arent collecting JLU anymore. Statements like that dont really lend themselves to discussion. So why bother posting it?

Amen Brotha!

The board has gotten so negative lately and honestly it's a little depressing..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:40 am 
PVC

Arsenio3 wrote:

I can understand why someone would want to come on AFI and share the news that they're not collecting a line anymore. We toy collectors make a big emotional investment in what we do. It's an investment of imagination, and that can be deeply personal. There's heart in it. Plus, for a lot of folks, collecting is a solo endeavor. So when you reach the "end of a journey" with a line -- for whatever reason -- I do think it's a pretty natural impulse to want to mark that transition, to communicate its personal significance to others. You know, to prevent from going unrecognized the passing of something that's had to do with your heart .

Of course, some folks will view that as being negative. I think it's just being human.

A month or two back someone posted a comment in another thread saying that he was giving up on JLU because his Big Bad Toy Store order had been canceled. Even though I didn't respond to that comment, I definitely absorbed it. In fact, it prompted me to ask a question in the "Ask Mattel" thread. So even though not every comment on these boards generates direct discussion, I think all of them contribute discursively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 am 
buzz word garbage hater

Arsenio3 wrote:

Fight fire with fire, I always say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:53 am 
PVC

hutchprime wrote:
Fight fire with fire, I always say.

But you can't find Fire on the pegs anywhere!

Wakko :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:45 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Rebis--I guess you have a point. Though if I finally turned the corner and decided to jump ship, I wont be making an announcement, I will just cry into my beer like a man. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:52 am 
Prototype

DC Biased wrote:
I don't know if the line is dead, but it certainly dying. When we're finding new figures (like Blue Devil) at pharmacies, grocery stores and overstock stores, I don't think that's a good sign.

Exactly, what I've been thinking lately. That's gotta tell you they aren't selling good at the big retailers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:24 pm 
buzz word garbage hater

So you're saying that other stores are intentionally stocking products that DON'T sell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:27 pm 
Collector Inspector

I've noticed lately that with the newest JLU playing Where's Waldo, my completionist urge has semi died.
Yeah, I'd love Volcana through to the recently found Mr. Miracle. But if I don't find them, I think Ill be ok.
Hopefully things will get better next year and my passion for this line will heat back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:26 pm 
PVC

Arsenio3 wrote:
Rebis--I guess you have a point. Though if I finally turned the corner and decided to jump ship, I wont be making an announcement, I will just cry into my beer like a man. :wink:

As long you as you pass me one too. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:55 pm 
Collector Inspector

DrGreenEvil wrote:
I've noticed lately that with the newest JLU playing Where's Waldo, my completionist urge has semi died.
Yeah, I'd love Volcana through to the recently found Mr. Miracle. But if I don't find them, I think Ill be ok.
Hopefully things will get better next year and my passion for this line will heat back up.

Miracle wasn't found yet, was he?

*edit* Nevermind I saw the thread...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:48 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Oh man, I'm WAY behind...

I still have to get:
Stargirl/Parasite
Sand/Star Sapphire
Blue Devil

...and now find Grodd and the new Mr. Miracle pack!

Ahhhhhhh. Don't suppose anybody has any extras they'd like to sell? :D

-Brainiac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:13 pm 
Factory Worker

You think thats way behind? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:23 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Not that Brainiac is behind in terms of volume or time--since there hes only missing a few recent releases, but I would feel some pressure too: these figs seem to only become harder to find as time goes on. If you miss the window be prepared to pay through the nose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:30 am 
Former King of Posts

I think Azreal was referring to the fact that many of us are farther behind than that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next