Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:15 am 
my tummy itches

FALLEN ELDOR wrote:
But who is to blame for the trashy costumes this guy or DC?

For me, personally, it was the oddness of putting WW in lingerie and the sheer material for Supergirl. It didn't seem so much about making comic accurate representations so much as making semi-sex dolls. Again, if this was directed at me, I had no complaints about Poison Ivy and even his work on her was impressive - and she is scantily clad by DC design. I think it would be wrong of me to have the DC Direct Hush Poison Ivy in my collection but say he should not have a 6' tall version. I've only ever found fault in the overly sexual connotations of his work on Wonder Woman and Supergirl. I'm not going to say he can't have it or sell it, etc. I will only say it's A) Not right for me and B) does seem to be made for reasons (possibly sexually influenced) other than just trying to make a comic accurate figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:04 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Well, if you think that 'sexually influenced' is not 'comic accurate' then you haven't picked up a comic since the late 1980's. :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:07 am 
An Insider

Chip made my point for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:43 am 
my tummy itches

marillion wrote:
Well, if you think that 'sexually influenced' is not 'comic accurate' then you haven't picked up a comic since the late 1980's. :D

Peace,

Chip

I was trying to be vague. But to be more direct, if you have mannequins in your house dressed up in lingerie, how far away are you from replacing the mannequin with a Real Doll, etc.

EDIT - I reread my post and I think my sentence structure was horrible, I've rewritten it above.

Last edited by TSR on Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:46 am 
Collector Inspector

TSR wrote:
marillion wrote:

Peace,

Chip

I was trying to be vague. But to be more direct, if you have mannequins in your house dressed up in lingerie, how far away from you are from replacing the mannequin with a Real Doll, etc.

Probably about as far away as replacing your action figures with dressed up mannequins. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:49 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Well, she's not dressed like a superhero, but I do have a RealDoll in the house. Does that answer your question? ;)

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 am 
Kool Moe Dee

"Tell me what a man finds sexually attractive and I will tell you his entire philosophy of life. Show me the woman he sleeps with and I will tell you his valuation of himself."

-Ayn Rand

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:19 pm 
Collector Inspector

marillion wrote:
Well, she's not dressed like a superhero, but I do have a RealDoll in the house. Does that answer your question? ;)

Peace,

Chip

NO! YOU'RE KIDING! You really own one of those. Aren't those like a few grand a piece? WHY!? I find it easier and cheaper to go to the bar and find a girl with a closet full of Daddy issues. As a matter of fact my buddies and I were talking about making a new perfume for women (mainly for strippers) "DI". It basically smells like shame.
Guy sitting at bar next to woman Sniff, Sniff, "I smell Daddy Issues" . DI from Cookie. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:01 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Honestly, I've considered doing something like this myself, but the biggest problem I ran into was finding mannequins that actually *looked* like the characters to start with. Then came the display space considerations and I decided against it. I have friends with those life-size Star Wars figures that were part of the Pepsi/Frito-Lay/Tri-Con promotions in '99 and others who have their costumes on display and in the proper setting/context there's really nothing that odd about seeing them with the rest of the collection. What would be odd would be to see one standing in the corner of the room and there being no other related items/collectibles/artwork anywhere to be seen.

The guy does fantastic work and his Ivy, Harley, Catwoman and comic-style Wonder Woman all look great and look like the characters. Joker is done very well, too, but there's no way I would want to be in the same room with it. The Routh Superman costume looks great and hopefully he can pull of the face to finish the piece. The Keaton Batman creeps me out because it looks more like some random guy in the costume than Keaton... The lingerie Wonder Woman and Supergirl... Wonder Woman looks good and does look like Wonder Woman, Supergirl on the other hand looks more like one of those display head you see in the wig shop windows, I think he could have done a much better job on that one after seeing his other work...