Super Amigo Fantastico!

;)

Nice direction on that comment.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:19 pm 
Cold-cast

not going to lie... i sorta like the joker one.. although i don't think i could ever put it in my house

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:27 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

SO the guy dresses up mannequins as superheroes ...

words cannot express how much I now have the "heebie-geebies" over these ...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:41 pm 
Collector Inspector

It's good to see that Hollywood Montrose is keeping himself busy after his days at Prince & Company. "Never you fear. Your Hollywood is here!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:28 pm 
proverbial old fart

Hey, was I the only one here that thought that Catwoman's tinklebobs looked like Goodyear Blimps?!? And what the hell is that White Witch bodice on Wonder Woman?

I keep thinking about that ancient Twilight Zone episode... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:20 pm 
requestor of thick tufts of chest hair

I give the guy credit.

I think it's a cool idea. And I think he's done a pretty good job on most of the characters shown.

In fact, I looked into doing something like this myself, but found that the price of mannequins made the project cost-prohibitive.

Some of you may remember that the Warner Brothers Stores used to have live-size mannequins of some of the Justice League. That's what gave me the idea. That's what this guy's work reminds me of.

I don't understand what all you guys are getting so disgusted about. Sour grapes? You didn't think of it first? So you can see through Supergirl's top. Isn't that a good thing to some of you?

Have you ever heard of Michelangelo? He painted and sculpted Bible characters as big muscular naked men...because, quite frankly, it turned him on. The Vatican caught onto the idea (because muscular naked men also excite most clergymen), and now he's the most famous artist in history.

Dressing up mannequins as superheroes is not all that different from making statues of saints and gods..

Alex Ross, one of our real-life heroes, dresses up real-life people this way in order to paint them. Taking into consideration the cost of mannequins, I can see why. It's cheaper. (Probably sexier as well.)

I'm really shocked at you guys reacting this way. For a bunch of highly sophisticated fan-boys, I'd have expected a bit more out-of-the-box thinking. And Julius? You're geek royalty around here, buddy. I expect a more open-minded view from you especially.

There. I've said what I have to say. Come and get me...and tear into me like you all usually do. Come on. Don't hold back. You're all dying to get a piece of me for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:56 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

Well I will give him credit for having the tenacity to pull something like this off, but most fanboys suffer from some type of OCD(myself included) so I'm not too surprised he followed through on his "dream".

If only we could channel that energy into something useful, the world would be a much better place.

VC9k

oh yeah also:

creepy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:29 pm 
active in the community

good call, ~DragonsKeep, i applaud your thoughts on the subject. i just hopped off my pulpit over at the fwoosh not too long ago about some of the apparent funky behavior i witnessed over there as well. do people seem to get all weirded out over art b/c it somehow reminds them of something else? yes, we're ALL privileged to be able to express our own opinion on things, no doubt.

~Bruce does some amazing fiberglass art. he has taken some of my favorite superheroes and toon-type characters and brought them to life. they're sexy, life-sized, and captures a comic-book type realism. yeah, we head over to the mall and can see a life-size supes standing in the window. we go over to the wax museum and see a bunch of celebrities in life-size wax form. we head over to europe and see a bunch of naked chicks and dudes in stone statue form. we look at Alex Ross and see he's designed a full-size wax copy of his vision of the man of steel.

now, if anyone gets creeped out over any of that stuff, then you have every right to get creeped out over ~Bruce's stuff. hell, you can get creeped out over whatever creeps you out. do i care enough if what you get creeped out over is different over mine? yeah...and it's not enough for me to lose sleep over. i will tell you this: someone who's cool over the aforementioned art but is creeped out over someone like ~Bruce's art appears to have some incongruent form of belief. yes, i'm speaking about you folks who made "creepy" comments about this topic...you too, ~Julius. please correct me if my logic is skewed, not b/c you folks are on the defensive about my comments, but b/c you truly believe i've misinterpreted your remarks.

we fanboys -- whether we're 13 or 31 or 91 -- tend to be of a different breed -- usually in a good way. we tend to be more open-minded and outside-the-box and welcoming rather than close-minded and "scapegoaty/witch-hunty." so when i see these topics crop up, i am surprised and perplexed...we're better than this...we should be celebrating this guy's achievements and not apparently knocking him down. we may not personally dig every piece of art out there -- i sure as hell don't -- but we don't need to chop down the tall poppy every time we see one crop up.

those seemingly complimentary comments coupled w/ the sideslap remarks of "creepy": are those really sincere compliments or faceslappers instead? think about it.

AFR

p.s. yeah, ~DragonsKeep, i'll be right there w/ ya when they bring the firewood, rope, and flames! :wink:

"this girl reads minds and spins falsehoods. she's a witch, and she must be purge the devil from her -- w/ fire!"

well, in the spirit of the browncoats, i say, bring it! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:23 am 
Collector Inspector

First of all I am upset that no one understood my reference. Shame on you "fanboys" .
Second. The cost of these "Dolls" is not as expensive as you think. I use to live in Downtown Detroit. There was an artist that did a 3D display with maniquin parts. Just ask Charley the same homeless guy that got us space heaters for the winter and beleive me those things came in handy. One of my budies had a 13 by 20 foot hole in his back wall. He stold all those parts from a department store that had went out of buisness years previous. If you are thrifty it shouldn't cost you much :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:53 am 
Daniel Pickett

I got your "Mannequin" reference CT.

And for the record I'm not really bagging on the guy, I just thought it was funny. His collection/hobby is a little odd, and some might think creepy.

But, who am I to talk? I've got an ASS LOAD of toys and they are everywhere so people might very well think the same thing about me if they came over to my place. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone. It's all about degrees.

All that being said, weird/not weird, uber-creepy/shy of normal... if nothing else the guy is a really talented costume maker.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:19 am 
An Insider

6 inch or life size, a collection is a collection. If I had the time and space I'd probably have a few of these. As it is, once I loose weight (100 pounds to go whoo hoo!) I'd like to have a Boba Fett Costume for SDCC and a mannequin to display it the rest of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:52 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

I'm just saying that everybody else is less perfect than me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:40 am 
my tummy itches

DragonsKeep wrote:
There. I've said what I have to say. Come and get me...and tear into me like you all usually do. Come on. Don't hold back. You're all dying to get a piece of me for this!

I see both good and bad with these auctions:

His work on the Joker, Harley, and Poison Ivy are all impressive. Where as the WW and Supergirl cross a line - for me personally - I can understand there's a market for it, I just would never want to personally have these in my house. It crosses over into a sleazy/trashy sort of feel to me. Funny thing is, he has pics of a Wonder Woman in a more traditional outfit in a different auction - surprised he felt the lingerie look was a better move for the auction. And about the Supergirl, a thicker shirt could hid the nipples, but I felt that he was purposefully flaunting that. Combine that with the soulless-ness of a mannequin, it just comes off as creepy to me.

I think he might have used similar molds for the Catwoman as he did with the Jessica Rabbit (look through his other auctions to see the pics I'm referring to). It's a bit excessive on Catwoman, even though I think one artist was drawing her that insanely large for a while. Where as I don't have issue with Rabbit, that was always how she was portrayed.

EDIT - As a side note, since I too fall into the crowd who sees the "creepiness" in some of the work - it's an opinion. There's nothing here from either side to get all worked up about. It does seem like there are some chips on the shoulders in some of the rebuttal going on through this thread. Whether you find it creepy or art - it's all just an opinion and no one should be telling the other who is in the right to feel what they feel.

Last edited by TSR on Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:42 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

For me collecting and displaying a Boba Fett costume on a mannequin is a-ok. You like the character, he is designed well, maybe having him around inspires you to emulate the traits in him that you admire (tenacity, ruthlessness, badassness, etc). Same with other superheroes and icons (like say a JLU collection in a custom built display case). But these just seem so overtly sexual that it's hard (for me anyway) to apply my reasons collecting action figures to displaying these "action figures". If I saw this in someone's living room, my first thought is that he wants to bang Wonder Woman. But I guess some people are ok with that--me I hide the sex toys in the nightstand like Emily Post suggests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:46 am 
An Insider

But who is to blame for the trashy costumes this guy or DC?
If Boba Fett was designed to have less cloths on would it be creepy?
is that superman one he has homo erotic or just comic book accurate?