Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How come my local comic shop...?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:52 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

How is it that my local comic shop, one in a chain of two or three local stores, can receive cases of JLU direct from Mattel? These are Blue Devil cases, friends. They had at least seven Blue Devil figures there. The packouts seemed to be very collector friendly, with plenty of Huntress and Shade figs, and even an Orion or two. The case is called "Justice League Unlimited DC Superheroes Figures Assortment" , case/wave number J2016-999K.

This same store has a ton of the Battle League two packs, and is the only place where I've seen the little metal JLU two packs. Not to mention the latest wave of The Batman with Hawkman and Hal Jordan.

Why can't Target and the other big name retailers have this kind of access to Mattel's product? Or, for that matter, why can't online retailers get a hold of this stuff? Weren't they told by Mattel that their orders would be cancelled because of Big Retail wanting all of the existing stock(or something like that)? What gives here?

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Last edited by Howard the Duck on Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:10 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I'd like to know why too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:28 am 
Prototype

Very good question! Wish I knew the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:31 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Maybe we can re-post this question in the ASK MATTEL thread... Hopefully THEY can get our answers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:46 pm 

lance wrote:
Maybe we can re-post this question in the ASK MATTEL thread... Hopefully THEY can get our answers...

Done!

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:55 pm 
shirtless hugger

Have you asked your comic shop? Tehy can probably better answer this question. Perhaps they have an account with Mattel, or they go through a distributor that carries Mattel product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:32 pm 
PVC

Ham Salad wrote:
Have you asked your comic shop? Tehy can probably better answer this question. Perhaps they have an account with Mattel, or they go through a distributor that carries Mattel product.

That is more than likely the case. Many smaller stores have direct accounts with mattel.

Post subject: Re: How come my local comic shop...?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:54 am 
Former King of Posts

Howard the Duck wrote:
How is it that my local comic shop, one in a chain of two or three local stores, can receive cases of JLU direct from Mattel? These are Blue Devil cases, friends. They had at least seven Blue Devil figures there. The packouts seemed to be very collector friendly, with plenty of Huntress and Shade figs, and even an Orion or two. The case is called "Justice League Unlimited DC Superheroes Figures Assortment" , case/wave number J2016-999K....What gives here?

This COULD be the end result of something Boy Wonder of Mattel was working on a while back, case assortments that were more 'collector friendly' for places like comic shops. My guess is they came thru Diamond, the comic distributor. This was a ways back that he and I discussed this, and we knew it would take a while, if ever to happen, so no advance mention. I'm glad to see that it did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:58 am 

Yes, this comic shop does have a direct line to Mattel. I was told as much. It's just that you'd think that a major retailer would be able to get this stuff easier by comparison.

Last edited by Howard the Duck on Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:33 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

If your local show can get 7 cases, then anyone with a tax ID number should be able to get a line directly to Mattel.

I'd like to know more about that, since I could order cases myself.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:53 pm 
PVC

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think my comic book shop had to make a fairly substantial intitial order to become a retail partner with mattel. After that they could make orders as they pleased. The mattel retailer site is www.mattelpartners.com if you would like to check it out for yourself.

cj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:24 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

How do you know they just aren't scalping? Mine is in the exact same shopping center as a TRU, and it's got all the new Batman figs like Clayface, Nightwing, Catwoman for nearly $40. :? They also had THREE Grodd packs and the Targets I've been to had none, and Blue Devils, Sand packs, Stargirl packs, Purple vig ones.

Maybe they DO get cases, but I thought Grodd was a Target exclusive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:38 pm 
my tummy itches

marillion wrote:
If your local show can get 7 cases, then anyone with a tax ID number should be able to get a line directly to Mattel.

I'd like to know more about that, since I could order cases myself.

Peace,

Chip

If Mattel is similar to Hasbro for ordering, my local comic shop said they have to order at least $5000 a year to keep an account with Hasbro - and this was years ago when they told me this, so the amount could be higher now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:46 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Sounds like a similar case to the one mervyns has been getting. the one i saw had 4 blue devils, 2 shade , 2 huntress, 2 zatanna that i saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

My LCS has been getting a bunch of the older waves yellow cards and even the "story packs". I forgot to ask them how they get them. I will try to find out next time I am over there. They do have a much higher markup on the new figs than Targ or TRU (8 bucks for a single), but the markup seems fair on some of the older figs.