Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blue Devil Holiday Give-Away
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 am 
Collector Inspector

Alright...here's the deal. I have an extra Blue Devil sitting here that needs a home. You want him? He's your's! All you need to do is post a short little story in this thread about something you have done to make someone else's holiday season all bright, cheery and teh gnarliest holiday evar. That's all there is to it. I'd like to keep this going throughout the season and run it right up to Dec 31st, shipping the lil Devil out, at no cost to whoever my kids decide is the winner, right after the new year. Even if you don't need the blue guy, feel free to chime in...you can never have too many kewl holiday tales to brighten things up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I am a sucker for holiday cheer and spreading the love so I'll play (oh yeah, before I get started , I already have a Blue Devil so you can count me out of the contest if you like)

I work nights at Outback Steakhouse and have amassed a rather motley crew of regular customers over the past couple of years. Throughout that time I have progressed from mere server to part-time manager/bartender/kitchen prep/lead server/etc. etc. etc. and each time my customer friends have been there to congratulate me and cheer me on.

So, with it being the holiday season and my debts already way to astronomical to be anything but humorous, I decided it was time to pay them all back for their continued support. So throughout this past month, everytime a regular has come in, I have made it so that their meal was completely free of charge. Sometimes I got to abuse my manager privilege and comp it to the house, on others I have had to pay it out of my pocket.

Just a little holiday meal from me to them as a quick and simple thank you.

Happy Holidays all

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:59 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

I will be refraining from my "JLU is dead!" comments from this day forward to make everyone's holiday here at AFI a little brighter.

:D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

I feel kinda funny in a "toot your horn" kinda way, but this is fresh in mind...

Last year around this time I volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters and got matched up with a 9 year old kid named Johnny. We've spent this year becoming pretty good buddies and I believe I've received just as much good from this relationship as he has.

Since we spend a fair amount of time at the skate park, I decided to get him a pair of skateboarding sneakers for the holidays to replace his old and busted pair of kicks. When I picked him up yesterday he had a present for me! A pack of Yu Gi Oh! cards! (Now I'm feverishly trying to learn this complicated game!) Anyway, I gave him his sneakers and a little card telling him how much he means to me, etc. When he got home he made his brother read the card. Then today I got an email from his mom:

"Just wanted to tell you John really loves his shoes. I haven't seen him so excited about a present in a long time. I had to explain to him that he can't take them to Utah because the snow would ruin them - he wasn't happy about it. But we compromised and he is wearing to school today as long as it doesn't rain."

I'm not so much posting this in an effort to win a contest, but Krazee - awful nice of you to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am 
ACCOUNT SUSPENDED

I work at a country club where I am a tennis coach. The class I teach in the mornings are younger kids (moms who play tennis and drop off their children) anyways, last tuesday all the kids I guess pooled together and got me this really nice gift certificate. So that night i went to toys r us and bought them all gifts, i got em a spongebob figure guy with a season dvd for the boys, and a dora the explorer and a gift certificate to starbucks for the girls. The next day the kids eyes just lit up in excitement, the loved em, it was great. Except foir the moms of the girls who i think will be swiping the gift cards to starbucks. But oh well as long as they were happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:58 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

My wife is a band teacher. As such she has concerts. There was a 7th grade boy, whose parents got laid off at some point this school year. He didn't have any black dress shoes to wear for his concert tonight. Santa Darkknight30 found out his shoe size and lo and behold, there was a wrapped box inside his locker at school today. I can't wait to hear from my wife how excited he was (as far as getting excited over getting dress shoes) to have gotten an early X-mas gift.

I already have Blue Devil, so please exclude me from the contest. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:23 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I like free stuff. I already have a couple blue devils but again free stuff is the shizzle. thank you

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:31 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Dont need Blue Devil--but I did want to shout out Krazee and others who have given stuff away on this site. Stuff like that makes AFI the best virtual community I have ever been a part of. Thanks guys!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:50 am 
my tummy itches

Don't need Blue Devil and I don't know if this story would count since it involves messing with someone's mind, but figured I'd share:

I was at Target Saturday morning and saw a young boy who was clutching tightly a SW figure. His mother had told him no, to put it back, he didn't have enough money, etc. The boy begged: "But Mom, I've never seen this one before, is there anyway you could buy it as a Christmas present for me?" She told him he'd have to wait and see if Santa got it for him.

I decided to step in and ask: "May I have that figure then? I've been looking all over town for that exact same figure for my son - it's very hard to find."

The mother's eyes grew large and she quickly spat out: "I've changed my mind, Timothy, put it in the cart please." The boy cheered and put it in the cart.

Let it be known, I do not have a son. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:46 am 
The Last Word

I don't have Blue Devil, but I'll get around to buying him online eventually if he doesn't show up at a retail location near me. My annual act of spreading holiday cheer involves a donation to Toys For Tots. I try to do more each year, and this year I took several 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe figures and a few Batman animated two-packs to our local U.S. Marine Corps Recruiting office. My girlfriend and I also pulled a card from a Habitat For Humanity Angel Tree for a young boy whose family moved here from Cambodia. He wanted a Transformer, so we got him a Bumblebee from the movie line.

So while a free addition to my collection sounds lovely, I'd rather use this opportunity to encourage every adult who's fortunate enough that he/she can afford a toy collection to think of the kids who won't be getting toys this year, at least not without our help. If you're interested, please read something I first wrote back in 2002, titled "There is a Santa Claus". If even one person feels inspired after reading it, that will be my miracle of the year. :D

Happy holidays, Mattel forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:09 am 
shirtless hugger

I won't try to get Blue Devil (not overly interested in the character), but good for you KRaZeE. This is a great thread for holiday cheer and it's nice to hear about the generous things people will do for others.

I say give the Blue Devil to Chip. Look how much brighter the boards are now that Chip can go back to being optimistic about the line. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:49 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Caped Crusader wrote:
I don't have Blue Devil, but I'll get around to buying him online eventually if he doesn't show up at a retail location near me. My annual act of spreading holiday cheer involves a donation to Toys For Tots. I try to do more each year, and this year I took several 25th Anniversary G.I. Joe figures and a few Batman animated two-packs to our local U.S. Marine Corps Recruiting office. My girlfriend and I also pulled a card from a Habitat For Humanity Angel Tree for a young boy whose family moved here from Cambodia. He wanted a Transformer, so we got him a Bumblebee from the movie line.

So while a free addition to my collection sounds lovely, I'd rather use this opportunity to encourage every adult who's fortunate enough that he/she can afford a toy collection to think of the kids who won't be getting toys this year, at least not without our help. If you're interested, please read something I first wrote back in 2002, titled "There is a Santa Claus". If even one person feels inspired after reading it, that will be my miracle of the year. :D

Happy holidays, Mattel forum.

Good for you! I didn't mention our annual Toys for Tots and giving tree things because we've been doing it for about 10 years now and to be honest I don't even really think about doing it or not, we just do it! I like what you wrote and agree that for some people, the holidays can be extremely stressful and sad. It's great that some people will do what they can to brighten someone's day, if even only a little bit! That is the true spirit of Christmas! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Well, last Christmas I was on a JLU search since the stores were getting more stuff in cause of the holidays, and I had no luck the previous few weeks. So I made a final stop into Target and right there was Wildcat and Steel. So as I picked them up and started browsing to see if there was anything else worth getting, a guy and his little kid came down the aisle and were looking for a Superman.

There was plenty of Supes and Bats on the pegs but that was pretty much it, so they picked one up they started digging through to see if there was anybody else. So then the dad told his son there weren't any others except Supergirl. "What about the metal guy?" he asked and his dad told him there weren't any.

I went and showed him Steel and that was who he wanted, so I gave it to him instead. He was happy and I still had Wildcat but I felt all the better for it and I eventually found Steel later anyhow. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:10 pm 
Damage Control

I made my roommate's holidays bright and cheery by bailing his butt out of jail last Friday!

It's my last finals, I have a massive paper to turn in, at 11 in the morning I get someone pounding on my door like the police is about to come arrest me or something. Turns out it was a bails bond guy saying he's been trying to reach me all last night cause my roomie is in jail and needs someone to bail him out and to move his car which is parked in a one hour only zone.

I ended up turning my paper in late (which is worth all my grade in this political sci class) and posted his bail ($2,500). Then I walked around (I don't even have a car) till I found his and sat in it for 4 hours so it wouldn't get towed (He drives a stick and I don't know how to drive stick cause it kept stalling and I didn't want to mess up his clutch). I'm waiting for him to call so I can go meet up with him and get him home at the county jail but he never calls. I end up going to the county jail and they said I may have to wait some more since they release people in groups. I ended up waiting six more hours till they released him.

Yesterday, I helped him all day searching for and meet up with lawyers/law firms to find someone suitable to represent him.

So now I'm broke, he's out of jail, and I'm posting on a forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:14 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Wow...give this guy the figure.

I would NOT have done ANY of that mess.

Peace,

Chip