Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

How Many New JLU Figures Do You Think They Will Show In February??
Poll ended at Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:25 pm
1-5 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
6-10 53%  53%  [ 19 ]
11-15 11%  11%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 36
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:49 am 
Joint Unfreezer

superfriend wrote:
This year had nearly zero product from March thru November. At least I never saw any. That aside, I don't think folks should expect them to show product in Feb and it be on shelves in April.

Thinking back, I think the Rocket Red wave showed up about the time of SDCC. Mid Summer. July?

We used to joke at Hasbro that it took as long to make a GiJoe as it did to make a baby, 9 months.

It's been so long since they've shown new figures that I hope they don't hold anything for SDCC!! February would be nice! I hope they put their money where their mouth is and show us the figures they said "we're listening" too last year or so ago. We need a CHEETAH right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:31 am 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

What I don't understand completely, and someone please explain it to me, is how other lines like minimates, or Alex Ross's JLA, or DC Direct or whatever, can release sooooo many figures per line, yet with JLU, which seems so easy to make, it's a struggle to release 5 figures a year. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:06 am 
5" Scale

To add upon what I was suggesting earlier, Toyguru has mentioned looking into other avenues to get us collectors the "figures that we want" so put that together with the fact that Toyfare magazine is breaking the announcements for DCUC and JLU and the fact that they often offer exclusive figures via mail away orders and/or online orders, I can't help but feel that they'll have an exclusive figure or two for us next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:11 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I voted for 1 to 5, but I'm hopeful for 6 to 10. I have a feeling that they'll try to get the most bang for their buck and announce some in January and the rest at SDCC.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:25 am 
Former King of Posts

jzachery wrote:
What I don't understand completely, and someone please explain it to me, is how other lines like minimates, or Alex Ross's JLA, or DC Direct or whatever, can release sooooo many figures per line, yet with JLU, which seems so easy to make, it's a struggle to release 5 figures a year. :?

DCDirect goes to a dedicated sales arena, your comic store. Its like apples and oranges. Both are fruit, but there are lots of differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:28 am 
Former King of Posts

marillion wrote:
Ah yes, but don't forget...it's 2008 we're talking about!
"Entire DC stable of characters! Geared toward collectors! Better distribution! Aisle branding! DCAU fan euphoria!"
I stand by my statement. After everything thats been said by Scott (ToyGuru), they wouldn't DARE have ZERO new DCAU product on shelves ALL YEAR, *especially* if it was picked up at retail and they have *something* to announce via ToyFare magazine.

Refute THAT

Well, they still need to keep Superman, Batman, and Flash in the line, so versions of them that will take up 3 to 5 slots. If the 3 packs continue, I expect a return to one of those 3 characters in every package. No matter how they are painetd or what accessories they come with, I won;t be counting them as "new".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:27 pm 
Prototype

I'm thinking between 6 and 10 new figures get shown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:49 pm 
Knows his stuff

marillion wrote:
I'm also going to say that they'll probably dump the 3-packs and give us a unified line of singles consisting of repaints, re-releases and new characters...all under re-designed packaging similar to the DCUC.

Chip

Hasn't it been stated that one or more of the big box stores, perhaps Target, prefers the 3-packs to the singles? If so, I doubt they'd dump the 3-packs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:05 am 
shirtless hugger

I've thought about this more, and I really think we'll see 6-10 new figures. I'd love to see more than that, more than the 11-15 range, even. However, I just don't see that many new figures being revealed in one go in Toyfare.

If Mattel shows us only 1-5 new figures however, there will be riots. We've waited this long, I hope we won't see less than the last showing (of Fire, Ice, Mr. Miracle, Hawkman, Blue Devil, and Joker). Come on Mattel, knock us out of the park! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:24 am 
Prototype

I think you're right. The JLU fans are getting more and more ticked off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:59 am 
shirtless hugger

riddler2403 wrote:
I think you're right. The JLU fans are getting more and more ticked off.

Well, we are an ornery bunch. I'd personally settle for seeing just ten, really well chosen figures (I don't want to reach February and find out that the new figures are Hourman, Brainiac 5, and Major Disaster). Ten well chosen figures would leave me elated. Hell, I'd take half a dozen really well chosen figures if they were really well chosen. I want to see characters who are actually important to the DCAU.

I guess my biggest hope is that we'll see Mattel get us the figures we've been clamoring for over the past few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:46 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Arrakhat wrote:
I want to see characters who are actually important to the DCAU. I guess my biggest hope is that we'll see Mattel get us the figures we've been clamoring for over the past few years.

The truth be told.

If they show a bunch of crap, it will show they've really not been listening. I'm hoping they have been, and we get our 'top twelve' or so. INCLUDING Question and Captain Atom.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:54 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Because I was feeling like I wanted to be justifiably bitchy with the lack of JLU this year, I counted up the absurd lack of new characters...and I was frustrated to learn, we had more than I thought...

1. Blue Devil
2. Fire (Granted, not seen yet...but allegedly still on the way!)
3. Ice (See above)
4. Mr Miracle
5. Hawkman
6. Joker
7. Grodd
8. Red Hood

I will not give them credit for Shayera and Ray though! :lol:

It's funny because in my mind, they only gave us like 2 new figures...but the truth of the matter is that there were several more...

Keep in mind, I am not defending Mattel...with their horrific case pack outs and skipping of SDCC07 JLU info, I am STILL very crotchety about this line...but it's not nearly as bad as I initially thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:44 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Would there be somebody here that knows how many figures were released this year vs last year and the year before that?

Maybe then we would see how Mattel fared as far as new releases are concerned. Let's include repaints of old figs? Just an idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:19 pm 
shirtless hugger

Ghost6 wrote:
Because I was feeling like I wanted to be justifiably bitchy with the lack of JLU this year, I counted up the absurd lack of new characters...and I was frustrated to learn, we had more than I thought...

1. Blue Devil
2. Fire (Granted, not seen yet...but allegedly still on the way!)
3. Ice (See above)
4. Mr Miracle
5. Hawkman
6. Joker
7. Grodd
8. Red Hood

I will not give them credit for Shayera and Ray though! :lol:

It's funny because in my mind, they only gave us like 2 new figures...but the truth of the matter is that there were several more...

Keep in mind, I am not defending Mattel...with their horrific case pack outs and skipping of SDCC07 JLU info, I am STILL very crotchety about this line...but it's not nearly as bad as I initially thought.

My hope is that we don't see too many obscure characters though. From your list of eight, Blue Devil, Ice, and Red Hood did next to nothing on the show. Fire and Mr. Miracle didn't do much either (though I do like Miracle). I'm totally with Chip on this, new relevant figures.

HOWEVER, I'm not expecting Question and Captian Atom. If we get them, awesome, but Mattel said they were still working on getting Charlton characters. That's the last I heard, anyway. Still, if they give us Captain Marvel, Mr. Terrific, STRIPE, and Jonah Hex in the male heroes department, I could let it slide. :wink: