Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:31 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Never saw him here in S. Florida. It looking like I'm gonna have to Ebay. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:21 pm 
Prototype

Still no Grodd here either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 pm 
PVC

Don't forget that the Doomsday set came out, went to clearance, then returned to shelves later. There may be many Grodd sets in a warehouse somewhere, just waiting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:26 pm 
shirtless hugger

Why's all the rum gone? ...... I mean Grodd ...

:wink: Sorry i couldn't resist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:56 pm 
proverbial old fart

Before anybody spends their life savings on eBay I suggest you wait about another 2 weeks to 30 days.

The reason I say this is that last year when Doomsday came out and they vanished like supporters of Mitt in New Hampshire, about the middle of January or the first of February all the Targets in the Tulsa area suddenly had the shelves full of them. The "next" shippment arrived.

I may not happen this time, but you never know. . . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm 
Factory Worker

I found one Grodd last night at my target for 13 so i grabbed it for me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Yeah, I was wondering what the rest of you who haven't found Grodd are going to do? It will really hurt if I have to spend the eBay dollars, but he is a must have.

So who's gonna wait and hope and who's gonna just bite the bullet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:19 am 
Collector Inspector

I don't want to throw cold water on hope or spark a panic, but lots of people waited to find Barda, Sand, Obsidian, etc. on the shelves and lost out. You need to factor that into your eBay/no eBay decision. If Grodd prices are still reasonable or close to MSRP, I'd think hard about getting one.

Just my thoughts here. Your mileage may vary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:18 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

How many figures in this line have ultimately been that hard to find? Mattel seems to be very good about reissuing them, sometimes over and over. At one time, almost no one had Vigilante. I've now seen him on the pegs twice, once with multiples. Same thing more recently with Blue Devil. I would bet that some of the more difficult to find figures will pop back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:21 am 
Former King of Posts

that's been my hope all along. the only recent one I bought through someone else was the Ray/Shayera pack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:50 pm 
shirtless hugger

Cantina-Dan wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering what the rest of you who haven't found Grodd are going to do? It will really hurt if I have to spend the eBay dollars, but he is a must have.

So who's gonna wait and hope and who's gonna just bite the bullet?

Honestly, if I don't find Grodd I'm done with the line. Hopes of getting him easily are what kept me going this long.

preeths wrote:
How many figures in this line have ultimately been that hard to find? Mattel seems to be very good about reissuing them, sometimes over and over. At one time, almost no one had Vigilante. I've now seen him on the pegs twice, once with multiples. Same thing more recently with Blue Devil. I would bet that some of the more difficult to find figures will pop back up.

Figures I never saw from the JLU line:

Justice Lord Green Lantern
Justice Lord Martian Manhunter
Vigilante
Obsidian
Volcana
Stargirl
Parasite

Others are newer, or weren't in stores, but those seven... they ever eluded me. I know others haven't found Deadshot, Barda, Sand, Star Sapphire, Hawkman, Joker, and the other new figures that are just hitting. For a line that once bragged about how cheap its figures are, the cost of getting a Parasite or Volcana is ridiculous. I can save more by collecting DCUC at $10 a figure just because I can find them at retail.

Sorry, I know that I'm beating that poor dead horse again, but facts are facts. JLU is not easy to collect for those who cannot afford to pay the steep prices found online. I hope Mattel rereleases those figures and quells my complaints. Here's to wishing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm 
Knows his stuff

Don't some of the Mattel guys post here? Have they made any comments on how difficult it is to find some of these things? This is the first Target exclusive that it looks like I'm not going to see at retail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:16 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I'm going to go on record and state that there's absolutely no way in hell that the Grodd situation won't be corrected...in time.

Target wants these in their stores. Somebody went through a lot of trouble placing ads on the backs of every comic book for a month. Granted, the timing was way off, but still. The DPCI number being lumped in with the other Doomsday sets wasn't the brightest move ever, but it's obviously a mistake. All someone at Target HQ has to do is go into their system and type up a new DPCI for Grodd and they're back in business.

Besides, Target in my opinion, is the single greatest retail champion of the JLU line, and DC product in general. They actually carry the stuff for cryin' out loud, which is a lot more than I can say about the so-called 800 pound retail gorilla Wal-Mart. Yeah, great WM! Order more Power Rangers and Spidey 3 crap. :roll:

Mattel certainly doesn't want this Grodd set to be bungled like it has. They will do what they have to do to get it back out there as well.

I know this all sounds like crap when you don't see Grodd on either your collector shelf or Target's shelves. I only ever saw him twice, I think, which is odd for someone who's always out there looking for JLU stuff. There just has to be more Grodd sets on the way.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:59 am 
proverbial old fart

Thank you, Howard, for your thoughtful commentary on this matter. I agree with you 100%.

I know that many here are frustrated over the bungled initial release, but I think this is an issue that will be resolved.

What most folks don't realize that in a bureaucracy of a corporation like Target, fixing problems take TIME. Further, the company isn't going to make a public announcement that they screwed up. Rather, they will simply go about fixing the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Howard the Duck wrote:
Besides, Target in my opinion, is the single greatest retail champion of the JLU line, and DC product in general. They actually carry the stuff for cryin' out loud, which is a lot more than I can say about the so-called 800 pound retail gorilla Wal-Mart. Yeah, great WM! Order more Power Rangers and Spidey 3 crap. :roll:

I agree with your sentiments about Target. They've been a great retail partner for Mattel. However, you're wrong about Power Rangers and Spider-Man 3. The Spidey stuff sold well for Hasbro, and Power Rangers remains the single largest selling action figure line of all time. Power Rangers sells ten times what JLU does.

Mike
(Do I blame Wal-Mart for not carrying JLU? No, not really. I'm just grateful that Target still does.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next