Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:55 am 
Knows his stuff

SDcomics wrote:
Howard the Duck wrote:
Besides, Target in my opinion, is the single greatest retail champion of the JLU line, and DC product in general. They actually carry the stuff for cryin' out loud, which is a lot more than I can say about the so-called 800 pound retail gorilla Wal-Mart. Yeah, great WM! Order more Power Rangers and Spidey 3 crap. :roll:

I agree with your sentiments about Target. They've been a great retail partner for Mattel. However, you're wrong about Power Rangers and Spider-Man 3. The Spidey stuff sold well for Hasbro, and Power Rangers remains the single largest selling action figure line of all time. Power Rangers sells ten times what JLU does.

Mike
(Do I blame Wal-Mart for not carrying JLU? No, not really. I'm just grateful that Target still does.)

Spidey 3 sold well? Really? I thought it was a disappointment for them. They've been clogging the shelves forever, and really don't seem to move at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:02 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I'm just flabbergasted as to how overstuffed and fully stocked Power Rangers always are, while Star Wars and Dc stuff is always half stocked, at best. Drives me up a frickin' wall :x

And I would argue that Spidey 3 underperformed all estimates. It certainly didn't sell as well as Transformers and Star Wars did during the same time period. That's my observations, anyway.

When Grodd does show up again, he'll be around for a decent amount of time, I think. That is, until he's clearanced out again for the lava reflection Grodd set :wink:

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chris1973 wrote:
Spidey 3 sold well? Really? I thought it was a disappointment for them. They've been clogging the shelves forever, and really don't seem to move at all.

One of the Hasbro guys that I e-mail said a couple of months ago that overall, they're pretty happy with the way the Spidey 3 stuff sold at retail. I don't think it met their expectations, but it did well.

Mike
(Now the question for Hasbro is: Being a non-Spidey and a non-X-Men movie year, how will the Hulk and Iron Man stuff do? I think the answer to that question will determine whether they continue their partnership with Marvel when their contract ends.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:55 pm 
proverbial old fart

Frankly, most of the recent movie tie-in lines have done worth a damn...

Superman, Spiderman 3, POTC, Fantastic Four all sucked like an open chest wound.

There was no X-Men 3 line - just some singles in the ML line and the Jean Gray figures are still clogging pegs throughout Oklahoma. Never saw any Harry Potter toys in any of the major chains.

Transformers did very well, but that seems to have been the only one in the recent batch of movie related action figure toys.

I think the Iron Man movie toys will do well. Have not seen anything for the Hulk. But I am afraid that the second try will be a dog like the first movie was. Everyone says it's going to be action oriented, but I have seen no trailers, unlike Iron Man.

I have no idea what will come out for the Dark Knight movie. The last movie was good, but the toys were horrible (at least my grandkids and I thought they were horrible).

I really don't "get" the wrestling figures or the Power Rangers. The pegs always seem stocked to the gills, but everyone claims that the stuff is a big seller. I think it's like baby pigeons. Nobody ever see them, but they exist. Nobody ever sees anyone buy wrestling or Power Ranger figures, but some one does...

Ben 10 and Star Wars both seem to sell well.

GI Joe has made a comeback with a vengeance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:48 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Glenn2000 wrote:
Nobody ever sees anyone buy wrestling or Power Ranger figures, but some one does...

Well, if they'd make a figure of my favorite Power Ranger Syd, I'd buy it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:06 pm 
3 3/4"

All I can say is that in the 3 or 4 walmarts in my travels....it seems there is more spidey 3 garbage than DVD's in the stores....What genius was on the phone with hasbro and said, "yes please send 2,000 spidey 3 figures to each store" ???? There are so many of these figures that it makes me sick...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:10 pm 
5" Scale

Glenn2000 wrote:
I think it's like baby pigeons. Nobody ever see them, but they exist. Nobody ever sees anyone buy wrestling or Power Ranger figures, but some one does...

Here in the Los Angeles area, it seems like kids in the action figure aisle either look at/buy Transformers, wrestling figures or Pokemon. Sometimes if I"m annoyed enough, I try telepathically broadcasting to them a suggestion to buy superhero or Star Wars figures instead but it never works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:35 am 
proverbial old fart

I think that Star Wars and the Super Heroes lines are primarily adult collector and "bewildered mom/grandma" fodder.

My oldest grandson likes GI Joe and TMNT. My younger grandson likes JLU/Batman only because I brainwashed him while he was a toddler.

Now my granddaughters all love spiderman from the Spidey and Friends that they got as toddlers. Now they are into Polly Pocket, the Disney Princesses of the same general scale and Dora the Explorer. I think they only use Spiderman to lay on top of Polly Pocket these days... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:23 am 
Collector Inspector

Glenn2000 wrote:
I think they only use Spiderman to lay on top of Polly Pocket these days... :wink:

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:49 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Glenn2000 wrote:
Now my granddaughters all love spiderman from the Spidey and Friends that they got as toddlers. Now they are into Polly Pocket, the Disney Princesses of the same general scale and Dora the Explorer. I think they only use Spiderman to lay on top of Polly Pocket these days... :wink:

Soon it will be Bratz. Be afraid, very afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:01 am 
Damage Control

Keep the brainwashing up Glenn. My daugher is six and loves Barbie and Care Bears and High School Musical and Hannah Montanna and Pokemon (oy vey). But I still brainwash her with Superheroes when I can. When a new wave comes out, she always wants the "girl" in the wave so she can play with her older brother (Marvel and DC) and have a collection like dad.
There is hope :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:56 am 
PVC

I have seen lots of kids ogling and buying the wrestling figures at stores in my area. The Star Wars and Transformers buyers I have seen and talked to seem to be adult collectors. I have never, ever seen a kid even look at a Power Rangers figure in a store; however, when I did pediatric therapy, several of my younger male patients owned them and brought them to therapy with them. Spidermen, Wolverine and Batman were pretty popular with them also. Superman, not so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:49 pm 
serves the Otter

Glenn2000 wrote:
Frankly, most of the recent movie tie-in lines have done worth a damn...

Superman, Spiderman 3, POTC, Fantastic Four all sucked like an open chest wound.

There was no X-Men 3 line - just some singles in the ML line and the Jean Gray figures are still clogging pegs throughout Oklahoma. Never saw any Harry Potter toys in any of the major chains.

Transformers did very well, but that seems to have been the only one in the recent batch of movie related action figure toys.

I think the Iron Man movie toys will do well. Have not seen anything for the Hulk. But I am afraid that the second try will be a dog like the first movie was. Everyone says it's going to be action oriented, but I have seen no trailers, unlike Iron Man.

I have no idea what will come out for the Dark Knight movie. The last movie was good, but the toys were horrible (at least my grandkids and I thought they were horrible).

I really don't "get" the wrestling figures or the Power Rangers. The pegs always seem stocked to the gills, but everyone claims that the stuff is a big seller. I think it's like baby pigeons. Nobody ever see them, but they exist. Nobody ever sees anyone buy wrestling or Power Ranger figures, but some one does...

Ben 10 and Star Wars both seem to sell well.

GI Joe has made a comeback with a vengeance.

Wrestling figures sell quite well. At least the WWE Classics line. Those things sell as well as anything out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 pm 
shirtless hugger

Well, since this thread's gone off the rails anyway, I'll tell you an incident about children's toy preferences that scared me:

On Halloween I tried to give away some of the 40-50 extra JLU Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and Flash that I've accumulated (as a customizer, I end up with LOTS of those taking up space and I'll never use them all). I made up "three-packs" with three of each character in a set.

About 40% of the kids that came to my door said "no thank you, I just want candy." Even when I assured them it was not either/or, they could have both, they said no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:40 pm 
An Insider

back to Grodd: I never saw any Grodd sets at 'my' Target. I did happen to pick one up off of the shelf at another nearby Target. It was under the TMNT and there were no others in sight. Haven't seen him anywhere since. I have to say that, had I not found that one Grodd, I would be severely disappointed with the entire JLU showing last year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next