Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why did Lego drop Batman?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:15 pm 
Wonderdog

Does anybody know? The kids and I were playing Lego Batman on the Wii tonight, and it got me wondering -- why aren't there any Lego Batman sets any more? Did they have the license for only a limited time? None of the other block companies seem to have picked up on it, as near as I can tell. I know that Lego lines come and go like crazy -- Spongebob, Batman, Vikings, etc. -- but I would have thought that continuing on with Batman was a no-brainer!

Post subject: Re: Why did Lego drop Batman?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:43 pm 
5th Horseman

I ask the same question to the Lego reps at Toy Fair and got a very cagey response. I was giving them all these ideas for sets... And they were just like "yeah, there's no more Batman sets for now".

So sad, especially since the game was such a success.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:44 pm 
serves the Otter

From what I understand, they still have the license, but aren't making any sets currently...they also didn't make any Harry Potter sets for 2 years, but are making more this fall. And they've discontinued their Indiana Jones line, but still have the license for that too. So I guess I'm saying don't give up hope...my sons and I are holding out for more Batman LEGO sets too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:09 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

maybe they don't want to flood the market right now. We kinda between batman movies. Once the next one comes out - the Lego licensing should ramp up again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Do you think it might be because of the TRIO building system (I think that's the name)?

There's a thread about it somewhere on the Mattel Board. Can two building systems have the same license at the same time?

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:12 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Lego ticks me off.

Wow, Spider-Man Legos! Got my Spidey and Green Goblin.

Spider-Man 2 Legos? Yeah! Got my Doc Ock!

Spider-Man 3 Legos? Well, I want a Venom and a Black Costume Spidey, and a Sandman and a Goblin V.2 to go with my...what? They aren't making Spider-Man 3 Legos? WTF!! Now, I have an 'incomplete' Spidey Lego minifig set!

Batman Legos? Dammit, I missed out on both Bane and Harley Quinn, and now they cost an arm and a leg each. I keep waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

Just what the hell is going on with Lego and their weird strategies? I don't care for any other impostor building sets. I wish they would make more Batman sets! Especially the Bane and Harley ones.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 pm 
Unbreakable

Lego always seems to have one "flavor of the year". Right now it's Toy Story. Before that was, I believe, Indiana Jones. I'm betting Batman will be back for the new movie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 am 
serves the Otter

Yeah, they still have the license for all of those properties, but without a "media tie-in," they let them chill until they're ready to make more. Harry Potter LEGO is coming back this fall after a 2 year absence (or more), and there's even a HP LEGO video game now too. So hopefully Batman will return.

And hopefully there will be a few more Toy Story sets before they back away from that line. I'm interested to see where this relationship with Disney goes...the TS sets are selling well, but Prince of Persia is falling flat. I'd like to see some classic Disney or Pixar sets...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:27 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

Man o' man, now you're talking Quinn! What I wouldn't give for Pirates of the Caribbean Lego sets! Or getting a hold of Disney Villains minifigs!!!

Supposedly, Lego and Disney have some sort of mega-contract with each other. I really hope there is more to it than Toy Story and Prince of Persia.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Howard the Duck wrote:
Man o' man, now you're talking Quinn! What I wouldn't give for Pirates of the Caribbean Lego sets! Or getting a hold of Disney Villains minifigs!!!

Supposedly, Lego and Disney have some sort of mega-contract with each other. I really hope there is more to it than Toy Story and Prince of Persia.

But thats where licensing always gets tricky- as Pirates came out with all the Mega Blocks sets-- however with #4 on the horizon the bid could always come up again- and Im pretty sure lego will get in on that one-- (especially if that means they could also do a Lego POTC video game.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:30 am 
MINT!

I don't know what the official reason is but from what I remember they didn't seem to sell well initially and they always seemed to be on clearance......worked out for me since I got a lot of sets dirt cheap though. :D

I wonder if people still had a bad taste in their mouth from the crappy C3 sets for the minimates which lead them to not buy into the LEGO stuff. I think it would be great if they started making sets again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:25 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

C3 was such a niche line that got almost NO distribution outside of comic shops I would doubt very much that it had anything whatsoever to do with Lego and their customer base. If anything, I would hazard a guess that people stayed away because a) the sets were poorly advertised and/or promoted, b) if you aren't a die-hard fan Lego sets seem very pricey to the average consumer and a tie-in like Batman, while fun, does not have the same appeal as Star Wars in the mass culture mindset, and c) distribution was GREAT, initially, and then followed up by spotty restocks and.or stores dropping the sets before wave 2 ever hit.

Lego likes to pump out a few sets in a theme, see if it hits and then ditch hard right and turn out other themes if it isn't a hit right out of the gate. The history is there. With a new movie we MAY see new sets, but I would be surprised if they are comic based additions to what we already have. I would rather expect to see other Technic or Collector style sets of a Batpod or whatever the revamp to the Batmobile will be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:31 am 
Resin

Many Lego themes such as Alpha Team, Agents, Exo-Force, Studios only lasted 2-3 years. Bionicle was a huge exception (and hit) for TLC. It's not that surprising that Batman only lasted 2 years, especially since the theme was supposed to be vehicle base. I really wanted a Joker Ha-Hacienda which would have been a perfect playset.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:06 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi..
With a new movie we MAY see new sets, but I would be surprised if they are comic based additions to what we already have. I would rather expect to see other Technic or Collector style sets of a Batpod or whatever the revamp to the Batmobile will be.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 am 
MINT!

They released the Tumbler for the first movie. Aside from the Batpod I guess there wasn't much to do for the 2nd so I guess relaunching the line for the 3rd movie would make sense seeing as how he'll need a new vehicle. I'd also like to an Adam West 60's Batmobile.