Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Who collects Legos here and what genres do you collect?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:00 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

Love this pic! Good stuff.

defzombie wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 am 
Wonderdog

Mostly I just pick up what grabs me. I think Lego Stormtroopers are adorable and I have a small army of them. I also like a lot of the new minifigures and have picked up all the ones that I liked -- Zombie, Pharaoh, Cyborg, Alien, etc. If other sets have something I like, I will pick them up. I miss Lego Batman sets; the only one I never got was the one with Harley and I still regret passing on it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:31 pm 
ABS

Thanks Cantina! That was really one of the reasons I wanted the vampire, so I could picture him leading an undead army. So I went to target this weekend and they had the regular Ninjago sets and they are awesome! I got the 2258 Ninja Ambush set and the 2516 Ninja Training outpost. one was 4.99 and the other was 6.99. way better prices than the 9 dollar Ninjago spinner sets. These ninja sets are great and come with plenty of weapons. I also picked up 7305 Scarab Attack Pharoahs Quest set. Many of these new legos are just as awesome as the old sets I grew up with. That being said I cant wait for new Kingdoms sets later in the year!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 am 
Former King of Posts

Back 20 years ago, I bought all the Robin Hood type sets and wished for a sale that would bring a Pirate ship to a price I could afford. Then I got married. My in-laws bought me a pirate ship and a castle for my 1st Christmas after getting married. It was pretty cool.

Since then its been almost nothing. A set here or there that my son wanted. Some Bionicles. Nothing recent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:14 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

superfriend wrote:
Back 20 years ago, I bought all the Robin Hood type sets and wished for a sale that would bring a Pirate ship to a price I could afford. Then I got married. My in-laws bought me a pirate ship and a castle for my 1st Christmas after getting married. It was pretty cool.

Since then its been almost nothing. A set here or there that my son wanted. Some Bionicles. Nothing recent.

Yeah I haven't got any Lego sets in years but grew up with them. My brother and I had ton of the City and Pirate sets while I collected the Castle and Space sets, specifically Ice Planet and Blacktron. They're all still set up in my parents basement today.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 am 
ABS

I grew up with 3 brothers so there were plenty of legos in the house, like pirates, castle, forestmans, space and others. castle and forestmans were my favorite but I did love space too. I only had one set of Iceplanet 2002, I still have the figure but I lost the set. 80s and 90s legos were great, and these new ones Im really pleased with as well. I wish I still had all those old sets complete!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Yay!

A Lego thread!

I mainly collect mini-figures at this point, as I don't have much space for builds. I did buy quite a few Dwarves from the last Castle theme and build a modified version of the Dwarf Mine.

I'm also really enjoying the accessories at Brickforge.com.

The new Ninjago theme is intriguing but like most I agree it's overpriced. $10 for a minifigure and top seems too high, especially considering that the skeletons are missing their hats!

The new Pharaoh theme is very nice though. I only just discovered that the mummies have double sided faces!

I also recently picked up some of the Pharaoh's Quest and Ninjago magnet packs at the Lego store. The Pharaoh set includes the hero, a mummy and a Anubis, while the Ninjago set has the Black and Blue Ninjas and the blue large headed Skeleton. Unlike previous magnets these are "permanently attached" but they're just superglued at the waist and to the magnet block. It's fairly easy to use a hobby knife and a flat head screwdriver to detach the figures from the bases. At $15 a pop they're not cheap, but it's a cheaper way to get just minifigures if you don't want to go for the full sets.

Spy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:19 am 
Former King of Posts

Frequency wrote:
while I collected the Castle and Space sets, specifically Ice Planet and Blacktron.

OMG. Blacktron. Those wer the black and red sets with the magnets built in. Too cool. And when I visited Toy Fair in 1999, I got to meet one of the guys who worked on them when I visited the Lego showroom. Very cool event for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

superfriend wrote:
Frequency wrote:
while I collected the Castle and Space sets, specifically Ice Planet and Blacktron.

OMG. Blacktron. Those wer the black and red sets with the magnets built in. Too cool. And when I visited Toy Fair in 1999, I got to meet one of the guys who worked on them when I visited the Lego showroom. Very cool event for me.

Actually the black and red sets with the magnet were M-Tron. I had a few of thoses as well. Blacktron were black and neon yellow. Their base set was electronic and lit up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:14 pm 
Dog Squeezer

I just love how the Minifigures Series 3 Cyborg is a Blacktron guy!

Like he got dinged up but survived all these years to become a half man half machine!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:59 pm 
Resin

I totally agree Spymagician! It's a neat nod to the history of the space themes. On a related note I just discovered how much some minifigs are worth on the secondary market. I never bought any Lego thinking that it would actually appreciate in value, but somehow I find this amusing. Here's some examples:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg= ... archSort=P
http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=61654

Oh, and for anyone interested here's pics of the new POTC sets:
http://www.degrotespeelgoedwinkel.nl/sc ... bbean.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Totally man!

Yeah, Minifig collecting is a hobby in itself! I love Lego but space and price keep me from getting too many big sets. But I do love the minifigures. Heck, I'll go to Bricklink often for the harder to get figures as even a premium for the figure ends up being less than spending full price on the big $50+ kits.

Bricklink is an amazing resource. Just for cataloging, let alone buying.

Those POTC sets look pretty good! It will be neat to see a license first done by Megabloks now being done by Lego.

Spy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:55 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I still have a bunch of the ORIGINAL castle lego from the 80s. I have that yellow castle, the very first one they ever did, and about 2 years worth of that stuff and a TON of the original Space Legos from the 80s. It's all still back in my folks attic, but they should all still have the instructions.

I bought a lot of the early Star Wars stuff. And I'm buying the new minifigure collections.

I love buying the sets and building them, but then I just don't have room for them. There used to be a place by me that would RENT Lego sets. So you could have the fun of building them, but not the hassle of finding a place to put them. That place closed down last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:46 am 
Infinite Hero

I wish I could just get the mini-figures w/o the sets. I want all the upcoming POTC mini-figs, and some of the Atlantis ones are mighty sweet.

But, yeah, I don't have room for all those sets to display. 'Though hopefully I'll have the money for the Queen Anne's Revenge by the time they're released. I'd like that to go with my Black Pearl and Flying Dutchman Mega Blok sets.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:35 am 
Resin

I still have some sets from ten years ago that I haven't built yet (boxes are must easier to store) I don't usually buy larger sets mostly because of the price points, but when they go on sale for 40-50% off at close outs or on line I can't pass 'em up. I joke that I'll spend my retirement building Lego sets and setting up my own Lego "Universe" in the spare room. The new space theme w/ the 50s style saucers is what I am most looking forward to right now. Spy, I also use Bricklink mostly to track down pieces I need for MOCs from sets I own. Saves alot of time rather than going through the actual already models themselves to find that one piece I need. Unfortunately older set instructions didn't have parts lists at the back.