Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lego's Ninjago cards, the most overpriced toy ever?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm 
Cold-cast

Has anyone seen the Ninjago cards from Lego? I don't mean the cards that are included with figures, but the "special edition" cards that are sold by themselves?

The cards come in packs of one and cost $3.50! One card for $3.50!

Am I missing something here?

I was at TRU last weekend and a family was standing in front of the Ninjago display. The kid (probably about six years old) had grabbed a handful of the cards. Then the dad noticed the price and grabbed them back out of the kids hand, putting them back on the shelf while saying "These are too expensive, you can only have one! Don't be greedy!" The dad seemed really annoyed after that.

Post subject: Re: Lego's Ninjago cards, the most overpriced toy ever?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm 
Displays Backwards

I think almost everything Lego does is overpriced. I think $10 for two little Lego Ninjas and some cards is way too much. But somebody's gonna buy them.

Post subject: Re: Lego's Ninjago cards, the most overpriced toy ever?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:37 pm 
Cold-cast

I agree that in general Lego is a bit overpriced, however, the single packed cards are way, WAY overpriced even by Lego standards.

I actually bought one just to see what a $3.50 card looked like. The card I got was Fire Pit. Included in the one card pack was a folded up instruction sheet for the Ninjago game, put in I guess to make the pack look thicker and trick people into thinking they're buying more than one card. It's not very clear on the front of the pack that there's only one card included either. Instead they have a big white "6" for the age group, printed in a location that seems like it would make people think "oh, 6 cards!"

The card itself was unimpressive. The only thing that make them "special edition" is this foil type coating, which looks cheap. I'd say the foil coating is a step below a Pokemon or MTG foil card (except in Pokemon or MTG one foil card comes in every pack and each pack costs as much as ONE of these Lego cards.)

The text on the card itself is also printed in 4 different languages. So instead of adding flavor text or anything else, you just have the instructions for what the card does printed 4 times in German, Spanish, etc. That does not leave room for much else.

Finally the paper the card is made of seems rather flimsy. If they're going to charge $3.50 for a card, that's fine, but they should give people a $3.50 card, maybe a 3d hologram card, a glow in the dark card, something like that, not a boring, normal card that cost them at most 10 cents to produce.

This is the absolute worst price gouging for any product I've ever seen. Seriously, I am wracking my brain trying to think of any product more overpriced for what you get, even the designer jeans at Bloomingdale's aren't marked up this much.