Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Lego Minifigures display
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:02 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

Went by Michael's today and bought a giant shadowbox frame to display the minifigs in (50% off coupon for a $160 frame is extreme couponing!). It's big enough (30 x 40) that I think it should hold all of the series with no problem. Now I just have to figure out how to put shelves in the thing and the distances for spacing.

Also found the prospector to finish out this set. Now to go back and start filling in the giant gaps I have in the other series...

Post subject: Re: Lego series 12
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I use these bead sorting trays by darice. You can find them in the craft aisle at walmart. They're like $6 each. They hold 34 regular sized figs and 2 short ones sideways in the small compartments. For the big figs and the ones with wing spans or extra width like falcon or winged batman or dr octopus, I use these plastic tackle boxes by Plano, which can be found in the fishing section of same said horrible store, and about the same price, that has modular slotting so I can get 3 big figs, 4 wide guys and then 12 army buildy or henchmany guys in tight little spaces. They don't mount on walls and they're not perfectly clear, but they hold a ton of minifigs in a very small and filable space.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:31 pm 

I also use the lego store pick a brick cups to hold specific stuff outside of my regular lego chest. The tall ones I use for custom minisets and the small ones I use to hold random minifig parts I haven't designated names/characters to. Also, I am an OCD nerd.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

LOL! I think OCD is a prerequisite for collecting. I've got probably 40 or 50 of those Plano cases sitting around empty (used them to store my Star Wars figures until I had space to set them up, pretty sure they'll be going back into those soon...) and they're great for storage. I just want a nice display for the minifigs that doesn't take shelf space. I just sketched up a rough design for that case and provided the interior dimensions *are* 30x40 (by 2 inches deep) there should be room for 9 shelves (10 levels) if I use it horizontally which would allow for 32 figures across or two series per shelf. That would leave space for 5 more series or 4 if I use one section for the odd "Minifigures" releases that are out there (the toy soldier that comes with the book and the Halloween and band box sets, for example).

...and I have to figure out where to hang the thing, hopefully I have a wall strong enough to hold it- the thing must weigh 30 or 40 pounds empty...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:01 am 

That sounds pretty rad. I definitely don't have any wall space where I keep my toys & comics. It's a giant walk in closet/laundry room with a spare futon mattress flat against the wall where the laundry machines would be and shelves built into the other walls. I prefer the filing system anyhow. I keep all my unique dc & marvel heroes in one, the same for villains in a second, all my ghostbusters/potc/bttf figs in another (I made custom Dana & Louis figs and there's a sweet custom Walter peck out there I've been eying), all my double and variant dc figs in one, all my dc movie and marvel variants in one, all my lego movie, MBA and adventure cmfs in one and the fairground mixer and related cmfs in another. My dc bigfigs (when they come out), wide figs and henchmen/guards in one Plano and the same for marvel in another. And like I said, my spare minifig parts in a small pick a brick cup.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:18 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Jim, hanging it shouldn't be an issue.

Either mount into the wall studs or get heavy duty gallery anchors. They have a nifty grappling hinge at the end of the screw that expands once pushed through a wall to help spread the weight of heavier objects making them much more stable and secure on a wall.

Any art supply or hardware store should have them and can explain how to use them if you aren't familiar.

I've thought of doing a shadow box display in the past, but my son has been so active with his build and playing (he is building "Wipeout" style set ups and then learning how to make movies of the minifigs trying to run through them) that is just isn't worth the effort right now.

Storage is basically just a large tupperware style tubas it is the easiest for him to move everything and still have access to what he wants.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I've seen someone do the shadowbox display and used white 2x2 flat studs glued to the back to attach the figures. No need for shelves and it looked clean. Maybe you can use the L-shaped pieces for figures like the genie, mermaid or skirted ones. That's how I would do my display when I get the chance

Post subject: Re: Lego Minifigures display
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:48 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

(didn't mean to derail the old thread so I split this off... sorry guys...)

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Jim, hanging it shouldn't be an issue.

I know it shouldn't be an issue but my house is over 100 years old sometimes I wonder if shutting door too hard will bring it down. :lol:

Wildcard wrote:
I've seen someone do the shadowbox display and used white 2x2 flat studs glued to the back to attach the figures. No need for shelves and it looked clean. Maybe you can use the L-shaped pieces for figures like the genie, mermaid or skirted ones. That's how I would do my display when I get the chance

That was one thing I was looking at. I also considered building out platforms for them to stand on with a name plate under. I just don't like the way they look like that (like they're floating in a way).

This is the case I ended up with...

The barcode for the case is 4-00100-84254-6 if anyone wants to go get one (just make sure you get a 40%-50% off coupon from Michael's website or the Sunday paper to take a bit of sting out of the price). Put the big Lego display case on top to give an sense of scale. Yeah, that thing is expensive but it's cheaper than buying 20 of the Lego cases and will take up a lot less space plus Marge's hair won't be a problem. ;) I did a really rough photomanip to kind of show how they'd look in the case. I came close to getting the up and down spacing right (in reality it would be 3" between each row) but I didn't even try getting the second set on each row but there's enough room to put 32 of those minifig bases side by side across the thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:10 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

I want to see that when your done. I've made my out of two large light bluish gray baseplates and had Michaels frame it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Here's one of my old frames also.