Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Storage?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Hello all

my son is a bit OCD about his Legos and has decided that every different shape, every different size, and every different color brick needs to kept in its own storage compartment or bin.

Which means that he currently has about 100+ sour cream containers of Lego bricks. Which is a nuisance to have to get in and out of the toy room every time he wants to play (which is currently a lot) and a bigger nuisance when it is time to clean up for dinner/bed/going out somewhere.

I've thought about picking up some of the Plano tackle kits for some of the smaller pieces and minifigure bits, and looked into some of the cheaper food storage bins sold in Target, Walmart, and grocery stores.

I've even considered some of the Lego made and branded workstation/storage bin systems.

So, I ask all of you....

how do you store/separate your Lego bricks?

Thanks in advance, and pray for my patience to hold out ...

Post subject: Re: Storage?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I think you need to nip that in the bud and quick. There are 100's of different types of Lego pieces. You'll quickly go insane.

Anyway, the generic pieces (bricks, flat pieces, roof peices, etc.)that I use for custom building are separated by color. The specialized pieces (like windows, wheels, hinges, etc.) are all stored together.

I used to organize them by theme (Star wars, Castle, City, etc.) but that got to be a bit of a pain.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:28 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well I cant really help here-- At my heyday and when I was moving-- I disassembled all my star wars lego sets(over 125) and put them all in one giant 30 gallon (or so) plastic tub-- it only took me about 2 years to reassemble them all .... :oops:

SInce then-- the sets are either assembled or sold (im only in it for the minifigs now-- just dont have the room)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm 
PVC

My set up is similar to Shellhead's. I do use clear tackle box trays for undisplayed minifigures and accessories and am considering doing so for the very small Technic style connector pieces.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:27 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Ok

so we went to Target and found a box set of rubbermaid food containers (12 pieces in 3 different sizes) for just under $4.

Bought 4 of those packs and headed home and my son is now happily separating all his bricks.

He has decided, based on some of the info shared here, that all standard bricks can just be separated by color, but odd/unique shapes will get their own container. So, the "coins" are in a box. The Technic connectors are in a box. Minifigures are in a box with accessories in a separate box.

And to top it all off, all the boxes fit into one 30gal Rubbermaid tote for easy storage and moving!