Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: More Lego SDCC minifigures.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:49 pm 
PVC

More cool exclusives I likely won't own!

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-bizarro-pho ... sdcc-2012/

Bizarro

Phoenix

Black Costume Spider-Man

Plus the Captain Marvel previously seen.

Bizarro and Phoenix minifigs have been officially revealed. They will be part of a giveaway on Friday. To enter the chance to win these minifigs, you’ll have to visit the LEGO booth on Friday starting at around 10 am. You’ll have your badge scanned and you’ll be placed into a pool. Badge scanning will stop sometime in the afternoon. After that, names will be randomly selected to win 1 of the four exclusive minifigs. The other two are Shazam! and Venom. There are 1,000 of each figure. And just to be extra clear on this point: these figures will NOT be available in any future set.

I guess a thousand of each of these were produced so they shouldn't be quite as expensive as the NYTF exclusives. I read there were only 125 of those bags produced.

One thing that kinda kills me is imagining the percentage of these that will fall into the hands of non-collectors who will just give them to their kids or whatever where they will effectively be lost to the collecting community forever. :(

Post subject: Re: More Lego SDCC minifigures.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:40 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

How DARE they give a toy to a child! What are they thinking! :roll:

Come on, man. Better a child than somebody's who's just going to pop it on eBay for some quick bucks.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:16 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, you lost me on that one too Myx-y

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:20 am 
PVC

Shellhead wrote:
How DARE they give a toy to a child! What are they thinking! :roll:

Come on, man. Better a child than somebody's who's just going to pop it on eBay for some quick bucks.

Lol, I can see how that could come across as kinda douchy when I think about it. I definitely don't resent this if the kid is really into the toy. I guess I...yeah I got nothing. :)

Seriously though, I just think about some signifigant percentage of this limited run being lost to the collecting community indefinetly, possibly forever. That's all I'm trying to say. If a kid got a Tapestry Picard in 1996 and just opened it and played with it as a generic bystander or something to use with his unrelated action figures, I would think that was a waste too.

If the kid loves the figure and something else would not be as good that's a different matter entirely.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:02 pm 

Not that I want to start anything with you, but I'm having a bit of an off day and need to sound off and you just made yourself an easy target ...

(please accpet my apology in advance)

If some random kid got a figure, any figure (Tapestry Picard, exclusive Lego Minifigure, 3' hand painted limited to 7 Anti-Monitor, or otherwise), and opened it and played with it in any sort of fashion: random, story specific, lackadaisical, absent-mindedly, etc.) how exactly is that "a waste"?

Isn't it more of a waste for that same toy to be given to a collector only to be stored away, or put on display, or never even removed from the package for fear of damage?

There will never be a figure, and never be an instance, in my perception at least, where a toy in the hands of child, for whatever purpose that child has for the figure, wanted or not, appreciated or not, that is "a waste".

Given a choice between a collector getting the figure and a child getting the figure, the kid wins every time. And then the family dog or vacuum or garbage bin eventually wins over the collector as well I guess.

But isn't that the way it really is meant to be?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 pm 
Damage Control

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Not that I want to start anything with you, but I'm having a bit of an off day and need to sound off and you just made yourself an easy target ...

If some random kid got a figure, any figure (Tapestry Picard, exclusive Lego Minifigure, 3' hand painted limited to 7 Anti-Monitor, or otherwise), and opened it and played with it in any sort of fashion: random, story specific, lackadaisical, absent-mindedly, etc.) how exactly is that "a waste"?

Isn't it more of a waste for that same toy to be given to a collector only to be stored away, or put on display, or never even removed from the package for fear of damage?

There will never be a figure, and never be an instance, in my perception at least, where a toy in the hands of child, for whatever purpose that child has for the figure, wanted or not, appreciated or not, that is "a waste".

Given a choice between a collector getting the figure and a child getting the figure, the kid wins every time. And then the family dog or vacuum or garbage bin eventually wins over the collector as well I guess.

Blasphemy! Woody would have been far better off in that museum in Japan than at Bonnie's house.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:49 am 
Mint on Card

I think these look great but sucks I won't be adding Captain Marvel/Shazam and Bizarro to my DC minimates display. Like last years GL giveaway.

Successful transactions with: Funtime3, Vancleef9000, Clark Kent, ivelostr2, Tuning4k, and Shellhead. Special Thanks to Stewbacca and Jim Abell. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 pm 
PVC

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

Hey, no worries man. Upon reflection I only feel like the toy is wasted on a kid if a less scarce toy would make the kid just as happy AND the kid in question could receive the less scarce toy instead of the rare exclusive or whatever. I might not have made this clear with the Tapestry Picard example but that was my intended message at that point.

Otherwise just a difference of opinion I guess. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 am 

ugh ...!!!

the Bizarro figure is already going for upwards of $100 on eBay with a set of all 4 figures starting around $600!

I guess I'm out on these two... :(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:00 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Had somebody I know- found a way with 2 sets of the DC figs--

Sold his Bizarro and Shazam- for 300.00 -- said it paid for his flight out-- (however he started it at 9.99)-- so the lego guys are just nuts..

He also said that to get things like the Helicarrier shipped back was 75.00 and the Star Wars Carbonite set- was 45.00 -- Shipping there seems a big a racket as scalping

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 am 
Loose, Missing Package

stewbacca wrote:
He also said that to get things like the Helicarrier shipped back was 75.00 and the Star Wars Carbonite set- was 45.00 -- Shipping there seems a big a racket as scalping

Have heard that the on-site UPS has sky-high pricing compared to the open-year-round store that's a few blocks away from the convention center.