Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My one problem with The Lego Movie: Green Lantern
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:48 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

How ironic that years after the fact and in another company's toy line, Hal Jordan continues to frustrate.

In the Lego Movie, we get some cool little moments with Green Lantern. Only, the minifigure in the film is clearly the SDCC GL. Now, even though GL is now out there for each and every kid and AFOL to see on the big screen, he is probably the only minifigure seen in the film that cannot be purchased at retail, past or present. Lego has also stated that these dumb con exclusive minifigures will never be made available outside of such crap locations.

Throw in the fact that this particular GL is based on the abysmally received Green Lantern feature film, I don't see Lego or WB rushing to get a mass market version out there. I just find it interesting that the character was even included in the Lego Movie at all, given the character's dubious toy and film history.

Now, Lego could always surprise us all by throwing a Hal GL minifigure into a future Batman set. I'm hoping this will be the case, be it a comic based version or the same exact version seen in the Lego Movie.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

Post subject: Re: My one problem with The Lego Movie: Green Lantern
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:22 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Yeah, I can see the frustration with that.

Id love to get my hands on a GL figure (and Cap Marvel/Shazam and Bizarro and ... :x ) too, but truly, the bigger disappointment for me was that they made him such an idiot. Maybe that was on purpose because of how badly the movie did, but it still chaffed me to see him be such a nudge.

Oh well, hopefully the success of this film will lead to more Movie based sets and we can get a figure of him that way. They do seem to be filling the sets with a lot of background characters so far...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:12 pm 

Did you happen to see who voices Superman and Green Lantern? I think their interactions within The Lego Movie might be explained a tad better when you know who voices them. They're having fun with it, I think.

I didn't notice any other DC characters. The ones I know of for sure are Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash. There may be others in there, but I'm pretty sure that none of the other impossibly exclusive ones were in the movie. I wouldn't be sweating it too much if the GL featured wasn't the exclusive/live action version.

My hope is that Lego gets a bunch of requests from kids for a Green Lantern minifigure after seeing The Lego Movie. Really, I see that as the only way that we'll get one. Unless Lego's long term plan is to maybe release a Bat-Space-Pod with Astro-Batman, a Hal GL with a clear green mini spaceship construct and a Sinestro. It's a bit telling that GL wasn't on the short list for minifigure releases in any set.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:42 pm 
4" scale

They made fun of Dumbledore too. I don't think it had anything to do with the GL movie. It was all for the sake of humor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:40 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I didn't pay attention to the voice acting, but a quick check on IMDB was worth the effort.

Spoiler: show
Channing Tatum as Superman, Jonah Hill as Green Lantern

You're right, I think the way they interacted was more a play on other movies those people had done together and now it seems a bit funnier.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:58 pm 

You know those Lego minifigure-esque flashlights? Apparently, Entertainment Earth has a Green Lantern one. From what I've read, it could mean that a real Lego GL minifigure might be headed to an actual release in some form.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:37 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

werent these figures such as bizarro shazam and co sold at sdcc and now they sell for 200 or more dollars on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:56 am 
Wonderdog

GL shows up in the The Lego Movie Game, voiced minimally by Charlie Day, so I still have some hope that he will show up as a figure in a set, or at least as a minifig in Lego Movie Series 2 or 3. The GL Lego flashlight is also a hopeful sign that there are plans for this character somewhere down the line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:19 am 
Daniel Pickett

Well... there are the bootleg versions all over Ebay.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-pieces ... 417e03ba4f

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:14 pm 

JuliusMarx wrote:
Well... there are the bootleg versions all over Ebay.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-8-pieces ... 417e03ba4f

A while ago, I went so far as to contact Lego corporate about the abundance of pseudo, Chinese knock-off Lego crap. They thanked me for my efforts, and praised my keen eyes for spotting such junk. Yet, the bootleg auctions still thrive. Stuff like that gets out into the world and pollutes the overall Lego 'population', for lack of a better word.