Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Thundercats Tygra: What is going ON??!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am 
5th Horseman

Okay, maybe I'm crazy but this seems screwy. In every review, and every picture I've seen, the Thundercats Classics Lion-O and Tygra are fairly comparable in size comparison.

Such as here:

Here:

http://braindeadradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_4153.jpg

And here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/otakusphere/6109665851/

And, as far as I know, there have only been two versions of the Classics Lion-O (regular and SDCC), and one version of Classics Tygra. Why then, when I go to TRU do I find this??

These are nowhere near the same scale! And you can clearly see in all the other photos, they are in comparable scale. WHAT IS GOING ON?? Is there different versions of Lion-O and Tygra in differing scales that I don't know about? Are there 6" AND 8" scales of the Classics figures? If so why?? That makes no sense. Or is this super-sized Tygra some kind of error? He clearly towers over this Lion-O!! Please, someone tell me what's going on before I completely lose my mind. I just want to find a Tygra that is in scale (relatively) with my Lion-O.

Frustrated and completely confused,
J

Post subject: Re: Thundercats Tygra: What is going ON??!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:53 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

two different lines - 8" last year, 6" this year. Both with incomplete lineups. Fun for all!

....sort of...

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:17 am 
5th Horseman

The Superfly wrote:
two different lines - 8" last year, 6" this year. Both with incomplete lineups. Fun for all!

....sort of...

Thank you!!

Totally confused on why they would release identical figures in two marginally different scales though. Production cost on plastic, so they decrease scale and maintain retail price? It's also very confusing, looking on the pegs and trying to figure out what figures go with what, as they seem to be mixed at many retailers. Apparently then, I have never seen the 8" Lion-O, and am the owner of a 6" Classics Lion-O. This seems extremely superfluous and confusing.

So, can I, or can I not get Lion-O, Tygra, and Mumm-Ra in comparable scale?

-J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:24 am 
5th Horseman

HalJordanist wrote:
The Superfly wrote:

....sort of...

Thank you!!

Totally confused on why they would release identical figures in two marginally different scales though. Production cost on plastic, so they decrease scale and maintain retail price? It's also very confusing, looking on the pegs and trying to figure out what figures go with what, as they seem to be mixed at many retailers. Apparently then, I have never seen the 8" Lion-O, and am the owner of a 6" Classics Lion-O. This seems extremely superfluous and confusing.

So, can I, or can I not get Lion-O, Tygra, and Mumm-Ra in comparable scale?

-J

Okay, now that I'm looking (and know what to look for), I think I have figured this out. Correct me if I'm wrong:

Last year, we got 8" Lion-O and Tygra...

This year we got 6" Lion-O and Mumm-Ra...

So, now we are either going to be missing Mumm-Ra or Tygra, depending on what scale we've chosen to collect.

Is this about right? Do we know how/why this happened the way it did? Is Bandai planning on releasing any more in 8" scale, or are they going to stick with 6" scale? If that's the case, do they plan on re-releasing Tygra in this scale?

-J

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

They have already also put out a 6" Panthro and 6" Cheetara.

There are rumors (directly from Bandai) that the 8" line will be continuing as well, but possibly as a retailer exclusive of some sort. No details or confirmations at this point and NYTF was no help in that regard. Supposedly Cheetara will be the next 8" figure (if the line actually does continue).

Honestly, until Bandai knows what the hell they are doing with each of the lines, I'm planning on sticking only with the 4" scale ( :? ) figures ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:38 am 
5th Horseman

Okay, just answered some of my questions here: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_010412a.htm

I guess, now with Bandai's updates being rather sporadic on the Thundercats line, we're all in the same boat, waiting to see what we find out at SDCC.

[Man... I should so be a detective!]

Thanks, Superfly!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 am 
5th Horseman

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
They have already also put out a 6" Panthro and 6" Cheetara.

There are rumors (directly from Bandai) that the 8" line will be continuing as well, but possibly as a retailer exclusive of some sort. No details or confirmations at this point and NYTF was no help in that regard. Supposedly Cheetara will be the next 8" figure (if the line actually does continue).

Honestly, until Bandai knows what the hell they are doing with each of the lines, I'm planning on sticking only with the 4" scale ( :? ) figures ...

Are we talking modern 6" Pantro and Cheetra, Ben? I'm mainly interested in the future of the classics line. I have no doubt, with the new series, we'll see plenty for modern Thundercats... but Nostalgia is tugging at my heartstrings.

-J

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:50 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

HalJordanist wrote:
Are we talking modern 6" Pantro and Cheetra, Ben? I'm mainly interested in the future of the classics line. I have no doubt, with the new series, we'll see plenty for modern Thundercats... but Nostalgia is tugging at my heartstrings.

-J

Yes modern-- not Classics for the 6"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:20 am 
Loose, Missing Package

What you've posted above is the 6" Lion-O in the 8" package (the 8" Lion-O has a closed mouth -- guessing a swap-out, but why?...). The new 6" classic-style figures are shipping in the same assortment with the modern 6". The type of package is the same, just the graphics are vintage on the classics.