Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Man of Steel
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:25 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yes, but even today, I rarely watch Superman TAS episodes.

Whereas, I'll watch JL/JLU and a lot of the Batman TAS on a regular basis. Although, I will admit, I liked the final season of Batman the best.

The Superman episodes I enjoyed mostly involved Darkseid or guest heroes like GL or Aquaman.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:48 pm 
Excelsior!

stewbacca wrote:
This comment doesnt make any sense- you contradict yourself in the following sentence-
how am I boring because I dont like a one note character-

I say, I say, that was a joke, son. :lol:

Then again

The Joker wrote:

If you have to explain a joke there IS no joke!

:oops:

Shellhead:

Superman: The Animated Series' first season was the single greatest season in DCAU history. No other season has that good of a batting average. Even the best seasons of JL/U had the occassional stinker. There is not a single turd in Superman's first thirteen episodes.

Surprisingly enough the next DC series to acheive that feat was season four of The Batman. That's as shocking for me as anyone because every other season on that show was either middling or terrible. It hasn't been duplicated on a DC show since either.

DCAU Wish List: Blight, Inque, Stalker, Jonah Hex, Royal Flush Gang, Luminus, Jax-Ur, Mala, Granny Goodness, Stompa, Mad Harriet, Count Vertigo, Mr. Mxyzspltlk, Steppenwolf, Kanto, Static, Gear, Zeta, Ro, Felix Faust, Morgaine Le Fey, Ares, Circe, Hades.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:11 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Dusty wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
While I respect his position as the first true superhero, I find him incredibly boring.

I wouldn't expect a "Man of Iron" like yourself to fully understand or appreciate the true deep complexities of a "Man of Steel" j/k, ;)
But seriously though it boggles my mind how people find Superman so boring, :o
Even though he is fictional, the idea of his character is not... In my eyes I have always thought Superman was/is a fictional embodiment of peoples good dreams, ideas, and aspirations. In the actual comics, movies, and tv shows, I see him as a beacon of hope, to me he is an ideal to strive towards, he is a lighthouse, a moral compass showing you the way to peace and justice. Superman is a hero willing to sacrifice his own life to anyone or everyone if ever needed. He is the kind of hero who will take the time to talk a young suicidal girl off the edge, the guy you know will always make the right choice, (even other heroes admire and try to emulate him, lol.)
Another great thing is he doesn't just save the innocent, but will try to save those threatening the innocent from themselves. He almost literally has the weight of the world on his shoulders. But carries it none the less. 
Along with Batman and Spider-man, I see Superman as one of the most interesting characters in comics ever, he is an alien-godlike being who can really do whatever he wants, but he chooses to do good and to be a humble, kind, compassionate guy. He looks for the best in people when they perhaps don't deserve it. Then there is his awesome history in Smallville, his parent's story on Krypton, his journey he took before even becoming Superman, and not to mention all the great villains he has to pummel, lol... 
Anyways, I have written far too much, and it probably sounds way cheesy, lol... So i'll just go back to my corner and watch the trailer over and over until the movie comes out, lol. ;)

D.

Great post, Dusty. Thank you for that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:13 pm 
Mint on Card

i've always assumed the reason most people found superman boring is because he doesnt have a ton of gadgets and vehicles and to be honest, while his villains are interesting, they're not very colorful or explosive. luthor is a great foil to superman, but he's definitely no joker. doomsday is basically superman's bane and frankly is a little too mcfarlane silly monster to be as awesome as he's supposed to be. darkseid is really an enemy of everyone, so he isn't really specifically in supes' rogues. brainiac is kinda awesome, but again, he definitely doesnt have the charisma of a joker or a penguin or killer croc. another thing is that he doesnt have any scantily clad big-breasted chicks in tights in his immediate roster. he's go a wholesome small town ex girlfriend, a reporter in a business suit and even supergirl wears a skirt. you can say that doesnt matter, but when batgirl and catwoman show up in skin tight latex suits and harley quinn is walking around acting like a c*ckteasing bimbo and they've got tons super selling action figures and their own titles, it's pretty clear you're lying. how many lois lane figures are there? the only one i can think of is the one from All Star Superman (or A.S.S., ironically), which is wearing a tiny little superhero suit. honestly, i'm kind of amazed that wonder woman hasnt had her own movie yet. all that aside, a lot of the general public's exposure to superman has been through film and branding, which is to say not a lot of them are reading superman comics. i'd wager that most people dont even know that superman died at one point, which, say what you will about that story, it was a pretty big deal at the time. most of the superman movies out there, especially the most recent ones, are wretched. yes, those movies are lame, but not because superman is lame, it's because those people had no business writing a superman movie. just like how green latern would have been a totally different movie if the dumbass casting director hadn't jammed ryan reynolds sideways into it. ryan reynolds is hal jordan like sean connery is howard the duck. and speaking of idiots that have no business making superman movies...

this movie still has me pretty worried. that trailer was pretty rad right up to the end where it's like, "hey, we need to explain why his suit has an 's' on it even though his name isnt superman on his home planet" crap. i wish there was an automatic emoticon that facepalmed everytime you typed the words zack and snyder side by side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:31 am 
Corporate Spin Monkey

This movie is the next GL. MOS does not feel like it is embracing any of Superman's history. I mean he has super powers on Krypton ? We get Zod again ? What we need is Superman VS The Elite to bring Supes back to the mainstream a movie that says I do not care how much the world has changed I am still the good ole Supes you remember not a wanna be Dark Knight feeling movie.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:04 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
SDcomics wrote:

Great post, Dusty. Thank you for that.

Thanks, I had more that I was going to post, but it would have been overkill,

I just want to add that I really hope this new movie can still convey the idea of what Superman represents... I know I'll enjoy the story, (it will be an awesome movie!) but I also I hope I can walk out of the theater thinking "man, I want to be like that guy." :)

............. then while walking to my car I'll pull out my Red cape and imagine I can fly. I'll run all around and say things like "Great Scott Lois!"... and just as I am about to attack a random dude, (who just happens to look like Lex Luthor) I'll be stopped and tackled to the ground by the men in White coats and hauled away.....
totally j/k...
As I would also have Red trunks over my pants, not just a Red cape.... lol ;)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:27 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Fone Bone wrote:

Superman: The Animated Series' first season was the single greatest season in DCAU history. No other season has that good of a batting average. Even the best seasons of JL/U had the occassional stinker. There is not a single turd in Superman's first thirteen episodes.

Surprisingly enough the next DC series to acheive that feat was season four of The Batman. That's as shocking for me as anyone because every other season on that show was either middling or terrible. It hasn't been duplicated on a DC show since either.

I dunno Fone, I thought S4 of "The Batman" is when the show really went downhill... I think his slight re-design and Robin ruined it for me. As for STAS: I loved the first season but his design was still a little too chunky and early BTAS-ish for me, (I liked the more tight look for later seasons.) Plus I did not like all of "The Last Son of Krypton" part 3. When I first watched it, I was so bothered by how he could barely stop that plane, he barely was able to guide it from crashing into buildings. Yes, he did finally stop it... after it went for like 15-20 miles. He was far too weak in that episode, even in JL/JLU's episodes he was never that lame IMO. Sure he had some eye rolling moments, but I dunno, that one still just bothers me. Yes I know it was a big Plane, but still... ;)

D.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

As long as he punches somebody, it'll be light years ahead of the last one. :lol:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 am 
3 3/4"

Shellhead wrote:
Nobody's that altruistic. It's unbelievable.

Captain America used to be portrayed that way, too, until they dirtied him up a bit in the 90's, which made him a much better character.

I'm not so sure. My favorite Cap stories are Ed Brubaker's run through Civil War, death and return and his Cap was as altruistic as they come. A perfect summation of old values and ideals that made his assassination (despite the evil machinations behind it) a powerful symbolic sacrifice. Cap was rough and tough, and the flashbacks to a not so romantic time in WW2 were great but Cap was still Cap.

As with anything, good writers are the key.

Can't wait for Man of Steel!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

UncleMarsellus wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
Nobody's that altruistic. It's unbelievable.

Captain America used to be portrayed that way, too, until they dirtied him up a bit in the 90's, which made him a much better character.

I'm not so sure. My favorite Cap stories are Ed Brubaker's run through Civil War, death and return and his Cap was as altruistic as they come. !

Yeah but his whole approach through the Civil War arc was one of a not as wholesome Cap--he did dirty things he even said during those stories that he wasnt proud of but they needed to be done. Lying, cheating and manipulation-- that wasnt the wholesome CAP way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

He's not boring. He's interesting because he could use his powers to rule the world if he wanted to, yet he chooses to use his power for good and for the benefit of all mankind. In the words of Marlon Brando's Jor-El: "They are a good people Kal-El if they wish to be, they only lack the light to show the way. For this reason, above all else, I have given them you, my only son." Superman is the light. We need the light.

Superman is inspirational. As interesting as Batman may be, he's not inspirational. He doesn't inspire hope. Bat's motivation comes from a dark place. Although we need Bats, we also need Supes to balance out the darkness.

Superheroes don't kill. This is what Batman and Superman have always shared, the value of human life. This is what separates DC heroes from Marvel ones. It would be very easy for Supes to break the necks of his enemies, however, he will not resort to falling to his foe's level. I always found that compelling.

There are a hundred more reasons more Superman is interesting, but I'll leave it at that.

By the way, Happy Birthday Supes!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

New Man of Steel Images Revealed!

by SuperHeroHype

April 22, 2013

Man of Steel continues to make the rounds in the magazine world and this week it is scheduled to appear in Empire Magazine. The covers to the issue have been revealed along with quite a few new images from the upcoming reboot (via CBM). Check them all out below!

The highly-anticipated action adventure stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix and Richard Schiff.

In the film, a young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind. Man of Steel opens in theaters and IMAX on June 14.

Click on the images for a bigger version!

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:04 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Man of Steel to Receive Special June 13 Screenings

by SuperHeroHype

April 23, 2013

Walmart announced today that it has partnered with Warner Bros. to give its customers exclusive access to see Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ Man of Steel in theaters nationwide before the film’s official release.

Tickets for the exclusive screening will go on sale in more than 3,700 Walmart stores starting at 8 a.m. on May 18. Customers will be able to purchase up to four tickets per visit and will have the option to choose between 2D or 3D showings, where applicable. The advance screenings will take place in selected local theaters nationwide at 7 p.m. on June 13.

Specific details of the promotion read as follows:

• Each ticket bought at Walmart will feature a code on the back that allows customers to pre-order their own Blu-ray Combo Pack or HD Digital Download of Man of Steel, which will contain exclusive film content.

• Fans can bring Superman to life with the official "Man of Steel Experience” augmented reality app. The app allows customers to take photos with the superhero, as well as unlock special photo frames by pointing their phone at Man of Steel signage in their local Walmart.

• Customers will receive a free original Digital Comic Book written by Man of Steel screenwriter David Goyer with every ticket.

• Beginning April 28, a variety of Man of Steel merchandise such as t-shirts, electronics, posters and more from top brands will be available at Walmart stores and at Walmart.com.

Walmart invites customers to join the conversation and show their excitement for the first screening of “Man of Steel” on Facebook and on Twitter with the hashtag #SeeSteelFirst.

The highly-anticipated action adventure stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix and Richard Schiff.

In the film, a young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Man of Steel will 3D, 2D and IMAX theaters nationwide on June 14.

Click the image for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Wow! I just saw on the managers' calendar that there was going to be a Superman event but hadn't had time to find out what exactly it was. Very surprised that it's that involved considering the toys street date on Sunday and so far as I can tell we've only got one case of Movie Masters in the back waiting for that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 pm 
serves the Otter

Jim_Abell wrote:
Wow! I just saw on the managers' calendar that there was going to be a Superman event but hadn't had time to find out what exactly it was. Very surprised that it's that involved considering the toys street date on Sunday and so far as I can tell we've only got one case of Movie Masters in the back waiting for that.

I bet at least one of my 3 WMs has those figures stashed in the back somewhere, but the actual release is on Sunday?... Great Scott! I shop Sundays... I hate this street date junk. lol... ;)

D.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 41  Next