Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Teen Titans Go!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:05 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Beast Girl"
Spoiler: show
Meh. They never really explained where the Opposite Titans came from, so I'm annoyed. If Beast Girl DID come through a mirror, how did the other Opposite Titans? I don't ask for much from this show, but we should at least have gotten that.

The wieirda, weirde, weirdi, weirdu, and weirdsometimesy thing was funny.

My favorite moment was Beast Boy gratefully thanking Robin after he tells him he doesn't contribute much. Which pretty much says everything about the character right there.

Underwhelming. **1/2.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:08 pm 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Flashback, Parts 1 and 2"
Kid Flash is SUCH a stinker on this show. It is so weird that all of the major villains on this show are heroes, and all of the supposed villains are actually innocent victims. But Kid Flash comes across as especially loathsome. I hate him so much. Rosenbaum made him genuine and lovable. Friedle makes him the kind of guy who makes it so that you actually relish the shattered leg. And you really should not ever be doing that. But Friedle makes me WANT to do that.

I loved Raven "attacking the dummy". Seriously, Robin was begging for that.

I love the sickened and mistrustful look the cat gives Starfire after she takes it out of her mouth. Points for retconning the stupid language kiss meet-cute too. Did I mention I hate that part of the Teen Titans mythology? It needs to be retconned gone and stay retconned gone.

Was that the first instance of "The Old Shablammo"? I think it might have been.

Kid Flash better be doin' the peepee dance, and he'll be doing it for another minute! I love Beast Boy.

I love the idea that Robin is only an intense mess because the other Titans MADE him an intense mess. It's believable too.

What a fun episode. Not exactly as epic a debut as "Go!" was for the original series, but Go! didn't have Starfire eating cats, so pobody's nerfect. ****1/2.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Bro-Pocalypse"
That was super obnoxious. I like the Don Cornelius reference, but everything else was majorly annoying. This is episode is everything this show's detractors claim it is.

On the plus side, I liked the sneak peek of the movie after the episode. First time Hynden Walch has peeked out on camera. She's usually too shy for that. They even made fun of that fact in the 200th episode. It was cool seeing her. *.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:33 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems"
I think it's a bit pathetic that Alfred can beat up Batman's rogues but the Teen Titans can't.

I love that the Kilmer and Clooney memorabilia is left outside in the dumpster. Where it belongs.

What was UP with that Keaton dinner table anyways? Never got that.

Funny episode. ****1/2.

Teen Titans Go! "TV Knight 3"
Batman's birthday party is a comedy of ill manners. Superman seems quite pathetic, but I think Aquaman wins it for crying when Batman smashes the birthday football phone he's gotten him. He actually got Batman a phone so he could call him on it. For some reason all of the kiddie cartoon nonsense is funnier when they are using these specific characters.

Love that Batman has a Batmite plushie and I love the Zod penny too.

The weak link of the episode were the TV shows themselves. Unusually unfunny this go-round.

But I loved Batman's birthday party. ****.

Teen Titans Go! "The Scoop"
Love the new Season 5 dance in the main title, and the Beast Boy DC logo at the beginning. I also love the snail at the beginning taking down the For Sale sign outside of the Tower.

One of the interesting things about this show is that usually the Titans are the villains and the Hive the innocent victims. And that's how it plays here too.

Fun ***1/2.

Teen Titans Go! "Chicken In The Cradle"
I laughed that the examples the show used for fathers and sons were Darkseid and Orion and Superman and Superboy. Funny stuff.

Cute episode. ****.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:15 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Kabooms!, Pt. 1"
Good to see the return of Death Toilet but the show has exposition all wrong. A hero telling their life story in a moment of crisis isn't exposition. Yes, it's boring, and a movie is worse for it, but that's not what exposition is. Exposition is more like the hero or the villain explaining their plans and how the things in the movie work. And good exposition scene can be riveting if it's done right. Honestly movies with long conversations in them are often quite amazing. Nobody remembers Pulp Fiction because of the action scenes. That's not why it made the impact it did. It made the impact because it said it was all right if characters sat and talked with each other during an action film. And that wasn't exposition either. The episode besides not knowing the definition of exposition, can't even tell good talking scenes from bad ones. This actually makes me fear the movie a little. This is not rocket science. ***.

Teen Titans Go! "Kabooms!, Pt. 2"
I love that the Titans' movie WASN'T "Teen Titans Go To The Movies". It was a rip-off of Babies vs Dogs. Because maybe that's what all movies are.

You know, a lot of writers actually talk about "subverting tropes" but it's all talk. They never actually subvert them. What they do is instead have a different take on the trope and act like that's the same thing. It's not. Correctly subverting the trope involves ignoring the trope to do something else and proving why the trope is not necessary in the first place. And as Cyborg says about how well loved and respected certain tropes are, that specific mindset is why everyone always talks about subverting tropes and never actually does it. A twist on a trope is a good thing. But you aren't actually giving the trope the finger if you engage in it. True subversion should involve proving why the trope is unnecessary. And nobody in Hollywood seems willing to do that.

Wow, that review got a bit off-topic, didn't it? ***1/2.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8