Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Teen Titans Go!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:05 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Beast Girl"
Spoiler: show
Meh. They never really explained where the Opposite Titans came from, so I'm annoyed. If Beast Girl DID come through a mirror, how did the other Opposite Titans? I don't ask for much from this show, but we should at least have gotten that.

The wieirda, weirde, weirdi, weirdu, and weirdsometimesy thing was funny.

My favorite moment was Beast Boy gratefully thanking Robin after he tells him he doesn't contribute much. Which pretty much says everything about the character right there.

Underwhelming. **1/2.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:08 pm 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Flashback, Parts 1 and 2"
Kid Flash is SUCH a stinker on this show. It is so weird that all of the major villains on this show are heroes, and all of the supposed villains are actually innocent victims. But Kid Flash comes across as especially loathsome. I hate him so much. Rosenbaum made him genuine and lovable. Friedle makes him the kind of guy who makes it so that you actually relish the shattered leg. And you really should not ever be doing that. But Friedle makes me WANT to do that.

I loved Raven "attacking the dummy". Seriously, Robin was begging for that.

I love the sickened and mistrustful look the cat gives Starfire after she takes it out of her mouth. Points for retconning the stupid language kiss meet-cute too. Did I mention I hate that part of the Teen Titans mythology? It needs to be retconned gone and stay retconned gone.

Was that the first instance of "The Old Shablammo"? I think it might have been.

Kid Flash better be doin' the peepee dance, and he'll be doing it for another minute! I love Beast Boy.

I love the idea that Robin is only an intense mess because the other Titans MADE him an intense mess. It's believable too.

What a fun episode. Not exactly as epic a debut as "Go!" was for the original series, but Go! didn't have Starfire eating cats, so pobody's nerfect. ****1/2.

ThunderCats Wishlist: Wilykit, WilyKat, Snarf, Ma-Mutt, Jaga, Vultureman, Grune, Rataro, Hatchiman, Snowman, Termigar, Hammerhand, Capt. Cracker, Capt. Shiner, Bengali, Lynxo, Pumyra, Mongor, Safari Joe, Driller, Ro-Bear Bill, Mandora, Mumm-Ra (Mummy).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:39 pm 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Bro-Pocalypse"
That was super obnoxious. I like the Don Cornelius reference, but everything else was majorly annoying. This is episode is everything this show's detractors claim it is.

On the plus side, I liked the sneak peek of the movie after the episode. First time Hynden Walch has peeked out on camera. She's usually too shy for that. They even made fun of that fact in the 200th episode. It was cool seeing her. *.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:33 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Mo' Money, Mo' Problems"
I think it's a bit pathetic that Alfred can beat up Batman's rogues but the Teen Titans can't.

I love that the Kilmer and Clooney memorabilia is left outside in the dumpster. Where it belongs.

What was UP with that Keaton dinner table anyways? Never got that.

Funny episode. ****1/2.

Teen Titans Go! "TV Knight 3"
Batman's birthday party is a comedy of ill manners. Superman seems quite pathetic, but I think Aquaman wins it for crying when Batman smashes the birthday football phone he's gotten him. He actually got Batman a phone so he could call him on it. For some reason all of the kiddie cartoon nonsense is funnier when they are using these specific characters.

Love that Batman has a Batmite plushie and I love the Zod penny too.

The weak link of the episode were the TV shows themselves. Unusually unfunny this go-round.

But I loved Batman's birthday party. ****.

Teen Titans Go! "The Scoop"
Love the new Season 5 dance in the main title, and the Beast Boy DC logo at the beginning. I also love the snail at the beginning taking down the For Sale sign outside of the Tower.

One of the interesting things about this show is that usually the Titans are the villains and the Hive the innocent victims. And that's how it plays here too.

Fun ***1/2.

Teen Titans Go! "Chicken In The Cradle"
I laughed that the examples the show used for fathers and sons were Darkseid and Orion and Superman and Superboy. Funny stuff.

Cute episode. ****.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:15 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Kabooms!, Pt. 1"
Good to see the return of Death Toilet but the show has exposition all wrong. A hero telling their life story in a moment of crisis isn't exposition. Yes, it's boring, and a movie is worse for it, but that's not what exposition is. Exposition is more like the hero or the villain explaining their plans and how the things in the movie work. And good exposition scene can be riveting if it's done right. Honestly movies with long conversations in them are often quite amazing. Nobody remembers Pulp Fiction because of the action scenes. That's not why it made the impact it did. It made the impact because it said it was all right if characters sat and talked with each other during an action film. And that wasn't exposition either. The episode besides not knowing the definition of exposition, can't even tell good talking scenes from bad ones. This actually makes me fear the movie a little. This is not rocket science. ***.

Teen Titans Go! "Kabooms!, Pt. 2"
I love that the Titans' movie WASN'T "Teen Titans Go To The Movies". It was a rip-off of Babies vs Dogs. Because maybe that's what all movies are.

You know, a lot of writers actually talk about "subverting tropes" but it's all talk. They never actually subvert them. What they do is instead have a different take on the trope and act like that's the same thing. It's not. Correctly subverting the trope involves ignoring the trope to do something else and proving why the trope is not necessary in the first place. And as Cyborg says about how well loved and respected certain tropes are, that specific mindset is why everyone always talks about subverting tropes and never actually does it. A twist on a trope is a good thing. But you aren't actually giving the trope the finger if you engage in it. True subversion should involve proving why the trope is unnecessary. And nobody in Hollywood seems willing to do that.

Wow, that review got a bit off-topic, didn't it? ***1/2.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Tower Renovation"
I love the visual of Cyborg eating wood and steel and pooping out planks and girders.

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I question releasing this episode after it's only been a couple of weeks. At least The X-Files Season 6 premiere gave us an entire summer to catch up with Fight the Future.

All right. Beast Boy and Starfire make cute beavers. ***.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 am 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! “My Name Is Jose”
That was great.

Raven giving Robin Vibe’s powers is what is known as passive-aggression.

For the record, Vibe’s powers on The Flash are cool. His powers in the comics? Not so much.

I never realized how specifically useless Saturn Girl’s powers are. Telepathy is like one of the best superpowers, and from what I saw here, hers are about as limited as Deanna Troi’s on Star Trek. If you can’t move stuff with your mind, or get other people to do what you want, you might as well be a police psychic. Saturn Girl only seems less useless because she is always with a ton of other Legion Of Super Heroes members. Every Legionnaire except Superboy has lame powers, which is why they have to put so many people on the same team. The psychic is usually the most powerful member of any given team. The fact that Saturn Girl’s powers have more to do with empathy and feelings is a bummer. The only thing she is actually good for is sensing traps.

Interesting they used one of the other Aqualads from the comics, instead of the one we know from this show. Also interesting that in reality, Aqualad’s powers are the same as Aquaman’s, which means Aquaman is equally lame, except with the new movie coming out, DC can’t outright say that.

Very meta moment at the end with Cyborg noting that teams with heroes with lame powers get by because there is always some unusual situation out there where the powers are coincidentally useful. There is NO way in real life that Aquaman should be as big a gun on the Justice League as he is. And yet he’s useful because the writers come up with outlandish scenarios to make him useful. Once you remember that Dazzler can beat Galactus, you start to realize the rules of how useful powers actually are, and who can beat who, is completely arbitrary. And it probably always was.

It is just me or did Raven deliberately not only pick the most useless powers, but gave them to the last team member who could use them properly or want them?

Robin wants to be cool. So he gets the lamest hero’s powers. Cyborg can’t swim, and electronics short out his circuitry. So he has Aqualad’s. Beast Boy is dumb, so he has Saturn Girl’s brain powers. The only person this isn’t true of is Starfire with Plastic Man’s powers. Not that they are great powers, but they don’t seem to be counter to Starfire’s nature. True she is less elegant and slower than usual, but this version of Starfire isn’t all that elegant to begin with.

Good episode. ****.

Teen Titans Go! “The Power Of Shrimps”
I love that they got back Albert Jelenic for Berto. For the record, his was the funniest line reading of “Sick burn!”

Speaking of which, I love that when Cyborg says it, his neck stretches out like Inspector Gadget’s. Pretty sure Ray Fisher can’t do that. Suck it, DC Extended Universe! (Sick burn!)

Wil Wheaton played Aqualad at his absolute rhymes with smooshiest. Another reason the reboot is better than the original series is that Aqualad isn’t totally boring.

Funny stuff. ***1/2.

OK K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes “Crossover Nexus”
Wow, that was a lot bigger of an episode than CN sold it as.

The two things a good crossover needs to do are:

1. Be accessible to newbs, and be easy to follow. If you have a recap before your crossover, you’re doing it wrong.

2. Make the viewer like the original show enough to tune in again.

I admit this did not make me want to do the second thing, but it definitely did the first.

I won’t be back unless there is another crossover with other shows I watch. But now, I’m even more curious about Steven Universe than I was before, and have another reason to convince myself to find a way to catch-up. Garnet’s relationship with K.O. was kind of moving to me, and I felt as pleased as Peter Griffin does at the movies when she says, “OK, K.O.! Let’s Be Heroes!”

I’m sure there were Steven Universe references I totally missed, but I did catch some great Ben 10 and Teen Titans Go! jokes.

For Ben 10, I noticed:

Four-Arms asking if the rest of his new friends really thought Raven (played by Tara Strong) actually sounded like his voice. Strong ALSO plays Ben, so the joke is meta.

Ben singing “New new new new!”

For Teen Titans Go! I noticed:

Raven remarks about her super strong legs. To be honest, I hate the Lady Legasus episodes with a passion, but it seems really cool that this unrelated show is familiar enough with THAT show to make a reference that obscure. Only people who have seen a ton of Teen Titans Go! will get it.

Raven almost goes home in the Teen Titans portal, and then switches it back to Teen Titans Go! so she doesn’t wind up in the wrong Universe. The Teen Titans logo is done in the same font as the original series.

What amazed me was all of the cartoon crossovers from the history of Cartoon Network. While it is probably super easy to get back Robot Jones’ non-voice, I love that the fact that Michael Dorn and John Dimaggio are in the episode means we can hear from I Am Weasel and Jake from Adventure Time.

To be honest, I thought the joke that Strike had taken out all of those former heroes, and that’s why their shows were canceled, was a bit mean and crass. And then the show does this wonderful thing, and brings them all back to life, and has them all living in the same Universe. I don’t know where Gumball fits into all that, but I like to think that’s part of where the characters from most of the canceled shows now live. Although I personally don’t want to retcon the ending of Adventure Time for anything. I’d be satisfied if that’s where all the rest ended up though.

I have never liked this show before, but I like this episode, and seeing characters from Chowder, Courage, Mighty Magiswords, Dexter’s Laboratory, and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy. This was not just an average crossover. This was a literal Valentine to Cartoon Network’s entire output. I thought it was great. *****.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:56 pm 
6" Scale

Teen Titans Go! "Monster Squad"
I love Cyborg's psych-out to the kid with the Karl.

I laughed at Star talking about the Boo Boo Boos causing the Boo Hoo Hoos. I also laughed that she carries a baby on the front of her Mummy costume. Lord knows she's trying. Quick question: Where did she get it?

Moon Rabies is like my favorite description for Werewolfism ever. I'm kicking myself I never thought of it.

Um, no, Raven, you NEVER mentioned the Ghost Apocalypse. Not once. Usually I'll accept her I Told You So's but not this time.

Fun episode. ****.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8