Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:40 am 
Master of the Interwebs

Look at how much this auction for a regular Iron Man vs Mandarin set fetch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm 
proverbial old fart

Fools and their money. . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:41 pm 
Joint Unfreezer

I had to leave these on the pegs at Toys R Us today. There weren't many to choose from, and the ones there had just plain bad paint jobs. The dull yellow looks awful on Iron Man but I'm sure they all have it. Still, the ones I found had clumps and were flaking off at the abdomen joint. All of them look flat and lacklustre. Wolverine and Sabretooth looked like the time I painted my Aurora Dinosaurs models with poster paints. Yeuch.

Are we waiting on anything else from Toy Biz? I'd hate to see them go out with a whimper instead of a bang :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:52 am 
Does the regular Mandarin's mask come off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:35 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

These look great. Hopefully the quality is good on these.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:33 am 
Bob Vila

JQ3x29yz4a wrote:
I had to leave these on the pegs at Toys R Us today. There weren't many to choose from, and the ones there had just plain bad paint jobs. The dull yellow looks awful on Iron Man but I'm sure they all have it. Still, the ones I found had clumps and were flaking off at the abdomen joint. All of them look flat and lacklustre. Wolverine and Sabretooth looked like the time I painted my Aurora Dinosaurs models with poster paints. Yeuch.

Are we waiting on anything else from Toy Biz? I'd hate to see them go out with a whimper instead of a bang :(

I seem to remember one more possible wave of Spider Man figures with a Mysterio repaint, but I could be mistaken. I agree, TB isn't exacly bathing itself in glory as it exits stage right. If you consider that awful first wave of Hasbro ML as #16 (since that in fact was the next wave they were doing) it looks even worse.

I haven't seen these yet, but I could really care less. Another Wolverine, another Punisher, another Iron Man (and in the ugliest armor he ever wore)... yawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:54 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

I really dig these. Hopefully they will show up soon around here.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:59 am 
Factory Worker

I was waiting for Mandarin since I saw the pics but after seeing em in person, I couldn't be bothered to buy these. They look like cheap customs.

Too bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:14 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Yikes, that bad?? The protos looked so good... :?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:44 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

One Jim Lee design that doesn't look completely ridiculous now would be his Mandarin treatment during the Lady Mandarin storyline. Mod Prof X's Suit to look like a Grey Hounds-tooth Blazer over Black slacks and VOILA!!! It's on like Ping Pong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:18 pm 
Factory Worker

Yep. That bad indeed.

I had wanted to get the Iron Man set and the Wolverine set but both looked rather sad.

The paint was sloppy and it was (as jq mentioned) flaking off on several parts. It DID look like poster paint projects. (especially Wolverine and Iron Man themselves)

The sculpt on iron-man was quite sub standard.

Sabretooth looked decent though.

Mandarin: Also sloppy paint job. And I would have preferred the mask was removable.

These are currently warming the pegs here. If it ever goes on clearance, I may pick this one up only because I am trying to come up with an Iron-Man armor gallery display plus I'm also going for a semi-complete Marvel Villain display. (although the inaccessibility of Toad, Kang and Super Skrull have scuttled that goal)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:35 am 
Joint Unfreezer

Well I went out hunting for these today -- specifically, the "War Machine" variant. I figured that he may be tough to find so I could live with a bad paint job.

Luckily, I found him at the second store I went to! There was a regular Iron Man too, and he was "good enough". Sad that I have to put it that way.

Throughout the day, at a dozen TRUs and about half as many Wal-Marts, I saw several of the regular versions and only one Wolverine / Sabretooth and one more Iron Man / Mandarin had "OK" paint jobs. It's a shame, especially on Mandarin -- all that beautiful detailing and such sloppy paint apps.

I really wish the MODOK wave had been the last Legends put out by Toy Biz. They would have gone out in style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:13 pm 
proverbial old fart

Found all the non-variant Series 2 at the Okmulgee Wal-Mart today. The Mandrin's paint job looks like a kindergardener did it! One of the Wolverine figures had a huge blob of black paint on the side of his head and another had a broken foot.

Maybe it is best that Hasbro is taking over. The Quality Contol with ToyBiz has gone to hell in a handbasket.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:10 am 
JamesJesse wrote:
Mandarin: Also sloppy paint job. And I would have preferred the mask was removable.

The non-variant has a non-removable mask?

Are you kidding me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:19 pm 
Found the variants at our local Super Wal-Mart... Well, when the first Face Off's came out with the Wal-Mart ML wave....there were many that I could check the paints. This time...all paints were bad. Especially the Iron Man and the War Machine and the Mandarin.....uggh...

I ended up buying the Wolverine/Sabretooth variant but this has to be one of the worst painted for ML's that I have seen.

I will say the Jigsaw I saw was awesome but saw that at KB for like $18.99....too much....

kndy