Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:19 pm 
Infinite Hero

hellpop wrote:
Plus, if this rumored lineup is to be believed, it doesn't include current characters that may have some draw like Invincible...

....Invincible is rumored to be part of this line, too.

We'll find out more in less than a week when ToyFare hits.

Jeff

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:25 pm 
shirtless hugger

Once again, why assume this is an "image line"? Youngblood is certainly not part of Image, at least any longer. That opens the possibilities up quite a bit. While many of the licenses rumored are Image, that's likely because Image does more regular superhero stuff than other indie publishers.

I'd love to hear that Toybiz got the Valiant and Dark Horse Comics licenses. That'd make my year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:28 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

SDcomics wrote:
(But the rights to the Gold Key characters [Dr. Solar, Magnus and Turok] are probably completey tied-up. Like the Charlton characters, they may never see the light of day as toys)

Sounds like we need to get a posse together and go bitch-slappin' some executives! :D

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:01 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

>>Look at Diamond's market share reports; Image has gone from being a legitimate challenge to the Big Two to an afterthought held together by reputation.<<

Completely true. Remember when Spawn was the number one book in the land and Diamond's top ten was dominated by Image titles? Now Image doesn't have a single book in the top 100. Their best seller is still Spawn, and that's at number 106 on the latest sales chart. For a company that publishes full color comics, that's usually the kiss of death.

I don't imagine they're panicking too much at the moment. They still have a pretty healthy backlist of trade paperbacks. But if they want to keep publishing monthly comics, they need a hit. And they need one soon.

>>No, trying to replace the Marvel license with these guys is a recipe for disaster.<<

Well, I doubt if ToyBiz is paying a lot for the license of these characters, so they probably don't need to sell in huge volumes to turn a profit. And McFarlane's Spawn figures seem to keep selling. I still see them at TRU and Wal-Mart, so there might be a niche market for the likes of Youngblood and Savage Dragon.

>>I'd love to hear that Toybiz got the Valiant and Dark Horse Comics licenses. That'd make my year.<<

Dark Horse actually makes their own figures. And I agree with you about Valiant. That would be sweet.

Mike
(Right now I'm just curious to see what kind of showing ToyBiz will have at Toy Fair. Should be interesting)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 am 
shirtless hugger

When was the last time Dark Horse made a figure? It must be years. All they seem to make now are those weird comic statues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:55 pm 
Infinite Hero

bluesparrow wrote:
When was the last time Dark Horse made a figure? It must be years. All they seem to make now are those weird comic statues.

The last figures I remember from Dark Horse were Shi and Tomoe back in, I think, 2004.

I think Dark Horse is missing the boat...with the properties they have, they could have their own version of DC Direct...especially if they could get Usagi Yojimbo away from the butchers at Playmates.

...but that's a whole 'nother topic...

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:08 pm 
Bob Vila

Well, there certainly is a crying need for an indie comics based toy line. I don't know much about Shocker Toys, but I do have more faith in Toy Biz. I think we could all come up with a list of characters we'd like to see. Just last night, I gave my wife Scott McCloud's Zot! to read, and I was thinking what a cool looking toy that would be....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:28 am 
An Insider

C’mon folks, chant with me now...” The Maxx, The Maxx, The Maxx” You know you have been wanting that Mr. Gone figure since 1994! And say what you will about Image and their books, but Maxx transcended any trend or label and was truly something unique...

I’ll also go on record to say I liked Chapel, Badrock and Prophet...They looked cool but I can’t say I ever read the comics so no I wasn’t droped on my head at birth.

hellpop wrote:
No, trying to replace the Marvel license with these guys is a recipe for disaster. It's like when NBC tried to replace the NFL with Vince McMahon's startup league... :roll:

uh? all I remember is a flash of light and two men in black suits who told me that Monday night TV would fizzle out because of some strange satellite problem going on...I really have no clue what you are talking about. :?

SDcomics wrote:
Remember when Spawn was the number one book in the land and Diamond's top ten was dominated by Image titles? Now Image doesn't have a single book in the top 100. Their best seller is still Spawn, and that's at number 106 on the latest sales chart. For a company that publishes full color comics, that's usually the kiss of death.

I don't imagine they're panicking too much at the moment. They still have a pretty healthy backlist of trade paperbacks. But if they want to keep publishing monthly comics, they need a hit. And they need one soon.

Mike
(Right now I'm just curious to see what kind of showing ToyBiz will have at Toy Fair. Should be interesting)

really? I would have figured that Godland and Invincible would be towards the 80's or 90's on the top 100...

Jeff Cope wrote:
bluesparrow wrote:

The last figures I remember from Dark Horse were Shi and Tomoe back in, I think, 2004.

I think Dark Horse is missing the boat...with the properties they have, they could have their own version of DC Direct...especially if they could get Usagi Yojimbo away from the butchers at Playmates.

...but that's a whole 'nother topic...

Jeff

I'd buy a line of Conan figures based on the monthly. That is my favorite book for the last three years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 am 
Bob Vila

Invincible and Godland are both, I think, more critical darlings than anything. But for Image, they sell very well. But considering the heights the company was once at, that's really not very good.

I would guess that McFarlane still holds the rights to Conan toys. Which is a shame, because I would LOVE a Conan figure that I could, y'know, play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:55 am 
Infinite Hero

hellpop wrote:
But considering the heights the company was once at, that's really not very good.

Keep in mind that when the company was at said heights, so was the industry...

hellpop wrote:
I would guess that McFarlane still holds the rights to Conan toys. Which is a shame, because I would LOVE a Conan figure that I could, y'know, play with.

I thought I heard that McFarlane's license had expired. I hope it's true. I, too, would love actually poseable Conan figures. I was hoping we'd see something in conjunction with the animated Red Nails movie.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:58 am 
Infinite Hero

I just read that Tad Stone (guy behind the animated Hellboy movies) is going to be producing a 70 minute, animated Turok, Son of Stone movie for DVD.

Maybe that could be licensed out for figures?

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:44 pm 
We're going streaking!

I'm very late to this thread and just knew bits & pieces of what was going on with Indie-based toys, Shocker Toys and Toy Biz. I'll stay out of the company stuff, but I'd definitely be down for some Indie Comic-based figures, especially from a known company like Toy Biz. I wasn't hugely into Image, and I've never been hugely into Indie comics, but I can think of figures I'd like to see and would buy:

Savage Dragon, Super-Patriot (I'm not a fan of his art, but I did enjoy some of Erik Larsen's books), Supreme, and Malibu's Ultraverse characters come to mind. Not a lot, but these I would buy. It's a shame Wildstorm isn't included, because that would mean Gen-13, StormWatch, and maybe Astro City (if it was with Wildstorm before Jim Lee left Image; I don't remember).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 pm 
shirtless hugger

I forgot about the Malibu comics stuff...Marvel bought them, didn;t they? So they already own the rights? I don't think it went over to Hasbro with the Marvel U rights. I'd *love* a Rune figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:58 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Yes, Marvel owns Malibu.

You know, now that it's been mentioned, I'd rank Astro City up there with Valiant for the Indy figures I'd buy in a heartbeat.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:47 pm 
Infinite Hero

bluesparrow wrote:
I forgot about the Malibu comics stuff...Marvel bought them, didn;t they? So they already own the rights? I don't think it went over to Hasbro with the Marvel U rights. I'd *love* a Rune figure.

Oh man, I'd love to see some Malibu stuff in this line. It'd be a long shot, but it sure would be cool.

I still have my old Ultraforce figures. My wife likes to make fun of them, especially after we stumbled across an episode of the Nightman TV series awhile back. Egads that was bad...

Jeff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next