Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:28 pm 
Resin
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 358
I'm glad PITT won't be that big, Thanks Jeff.

These are really nice-looking toys. Yeah, I love the characters Conan, Judge Dredd and Madman, but I'm getting a bunch of the others 'cause they just look cool. And really, that's all I need out of my toys. That and posability.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:00 pm 
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1095
You think they could get Static and ICON? :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:26 am 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
One of the interesting questions about this line is whether they have access to characters published by a DC imprint but not owned by DC. For example, Ex machina is published by Wildstorm, But owned by Vaughn and Harris. Does this mean an Ex Machina figure would have to come from DC Direct?

The same would apply to the few properties Marvel publishes that they do not own. Can Marvel Toys make Powers and Kabuki, or are they part of the Hasbro liscence?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:24 am 
User avatar
Super Amigo Fantastico!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8292
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
I think it would come down to pure ownership. So what if someone else publishes a book? Certain places published Peanuts and Garfield books, but yet the products are licensed everywhere.

Peace,

Chip

_________________
WANTED (all MOC) : Kenner "Free Poster Offer" Brainiac, Playful Super Amigos Brainiac, Trilingual Brainiac (without poster sticker), Lili Ledy Super Poderes Brainiac, Nibo Brainiac


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 am 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
marillion wrote:
I think it would come down to pure ownership. So what if someone else publishes a book? Certain places published Peanuts and Garfield books, but yet the products are licensed everywhere.

Peace,

Chip


Yeah, but they may have it written in the publishing contract that DC or Marvel controls the merch rights. For example, DC Direct made figures of characters from Preacher and Transmet, which were owned by the creators. Of course, that was long before this line existed. Would Warren Ellis have chosen to put Spider Jerusalem in an indie toy line rather than one owned by his publisher? It's an interesting question.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:16 pm 
User avatar
Loose, Missing Package
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 10739
Location: Cox's Creek, KY
Okay,... just wanting a clarification from you guys... This is going to be a mass-market line, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:43 pm 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Jim_Abell wrote:
Okay,... just wanting a clarification from you guys... This is going to be a mass-market line, right?


Yep.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:08 am 
An Insider
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1095
hellpop wrote:
marillion wrote:
I think it would come down to pure ownership. So what if someone else publishes a book? Certain places published Peanuts and Garfield books, but yet the products are licensed everywhere.

Peace,

Chip


Yeah, but they may have it written in the publishing contract that DC or Marvel controls the merch rights. For example, DC Direct made figures of characters from Preacher and Transmet, which were owned by the creators. Of course, that was long before this line existed. Would Warren Ellis have chosen to put Spider Jerusalem in an indie toy line rather than one owned by his publisher? It's an interesting question.

I can see how that might be a problem for Wildstrom. but Dwayne McDuffy (did I get that right?) said he owned Static and that nobody really came knocking on his door as far as licenced products go while the Kid’s WB Satic show was on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:22 pm 
Cold-cast
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 416
wonder if these will be as hard to find as the marvel legends,I hope not cause i have to have all of these they look awesome.
cant wait to have a savage dragon,what kinda variant will he have police outfit or wife beater?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:06 pm 
User avatar
Factory Worker
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 831
Location: Wooster, Ohio
I think this toy line looks amazing and am ready to buy all of the figures in the first two lines. The stuff is fantastic looking.

Since everyone is listing who they want made into figures I guess I'll do so as well. Keep in mind that I've been reading comics for 30 years now.

The Elementals. I don't know who owns the rights to the characters. I know that Bill Willingham created the characters and both wrote and produced a lot of the early art. Comico was the publisher. I know that I'll never see these characters made into figures unless I make them...but a guy can dream.

_________________
I feel like a genius, mad scientist in a wheel chair...at least I got the wheel chair part right.

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Marvel Toys...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:45 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1
I can tell you right now that unless Hasbro steps up to the plate, I will be spending less with them and putting my Kaching with the Marvel Toys. I like most of the figures I've seen, with just a couple that I did not care for.
I can seriously forsee Hasbro sales dropping with the Marvel stuff. ...and Marvel Toys doing well. Can't wait for July!!

Rich


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:35 am 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Alcatraz wrote:
I think this toy line looks amazing and am ready to buy all of the figures in the first two lines. The stuff is fantastic looking.

Since everyone is listing who they want made into figures I guess I'll do so as well. Keep in mind that I've been reading comics for 30 years now.

The Elementals. I don't know who owns the rights to the characters. I know that Bill Willingham created the characters and both wrote and produced a lot of the early art. Comico was the publisher. I know that I'll never see these characters made into figures unless I make them...but a guy can dream.


The Elementals are owned by Comico, or whomever holds their properties now, that is. Bill Willingham was interviewed in the Comics Journal a few months ago, and he talked briefly about how he no longer has the rights. From Wikipedia: "Comico's publisher Andrew Rev purchased the Elementals property from Willingham in the 1990s." He was apparently something of a crook, and Willingham is not happy with the latter Elementals material (I don't blame him). Willingham has more or less distanced himself from the characters. Still, this might be good news for you, as I'm sure whomever owns the Comico properties now wouldn't mind cashing in for a few bucks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:16 am 
User avatar
Factory Worker
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 831
Location: Wooster, Ohio
Quote:
Willingham has more or less distanced himself from the characters. Still, this might be good news for you, as I'm sure whomever owns the Comico properties now wouldn't mind cashing in for a few bucks.


You've confirmed my suspicions. I understand why Bill Willingham distanced himself from the books and characters....they were basically turned into a poorly written and drawn "adult" comic. Which, was about the time I had to stop buying the book. I had held out for quite a while hoping something good would save the book....and nothing did.

I would still like to have the 4 heroes from the title and even a few of the villains but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think there is a much better chance that Miracleman gets collected into a trade paperback and returns as a monthly series than a toy company produces Elementals toys. :roll:

_________________
I feel like a genius, mad scientist in a wheel chair...at least I got the wheel chair part right.

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:06 am 
Wonderdog
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 721
Hmmm...Do you guys think that, if this line is successful, that they could branch it out, say, to include Legendary CARTOON Heroes?

The possibilities would be mind-boggling. I'm talking ML-style Thundercats, Silverhawks, Tigersharks, Galaxy Rangers... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 am 
Bob Vila
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2451
Location: Bethlehem, PA
scottbernard wrote:
Hmmm...Do you guys think that, if this line is successful, that they could branch it out, say, to include Legendary CARTOON Heroes?

The possibilities would be mind-boggling. I'm talking ML-style Thundercats, Silverhawks, Tigersharks, Galaxy Rangers... :)


They would have to acquire the rights to those properties. Considering that almost all of those started as toy lines, that would seem pretty unlikely.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: